“Oh, dear!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Marietta, Georgia
“Oh, dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

If you want a facility built by the 9th grade shop class and run by the 8th grade home economics class, this is your place. It purports to be "luxurious," and the builders did use some higher end products, like marble countertops, deep jetted tubs, and glass tiles in the bathrooms, but with scuffed finishes, peeling paint, sloppily applied grout, brand new furniture coming apart (literally), and the like, the superficial image of luxury becomes a joke -- and not a funny one. The place looks good IN PHOTOS, for sure.

The "Gold Floor" (third floor) is straight out of the seventies. The bright, BRIGHT sun-yellow paint on the walls nearly blinds you, and the bold geometric patterned carpet is a throwback to a previous generation. Thought the carpet was ugly, if it had been clean, I would not complain. I have never been in a hotel with so many STAINS, CRUMBS, LINT BALLS, AND BITS OF TRASH adorning the carpets as in this BRAND NEW hotel! We stayed for two nights and the same bits of stuff lay on the carpets the whole time, including just outside the rooms the maids were working in.

It was not only the hall carpeting that convinced me that the owners must have neglected to purchase vacuum cleaners for the hotel, or neglected to train the maids in their use. As soon as we walked into our room, I went to the window to open the shade and turn on the air conditioner (which, surprisingly, had not already been turned on, as in virtually all hotels where we have stayed). In leaning down to switch on the AC, I noticed a large chunk of CHOCOLATE NUT BROWNIE (yum!) and other detritus lying on the carpet in the corner. Apparently the large armchair up against the air conditioner unit had never been pushed out of the way so as to vacuum the corner of the carpet. Hence the gobs of food and dirt. Believe me, the last thing one wants in a Jacksonville, Florida, hotel room is a corner snack bar for the creepy crawlies. With this level of housekeeping, it will not be long before the roaches will feel right at home.

Just after cleaning up the brownie from the carpet, I nearly jumped out of my skin because of a LOUD CRASH at the other end of the room. I thought my husband had dropped something heavy on the bathroom floor. But no, he had opened the closet door, and the IRONING BOARD which had been propped up on the designated hooks had crashed onto the tile floor. It turned out, the ironing board was a sort of booby trap: the hooks on which it was supposed to hang inside the closet had been installed too low and in the wrong position, so the board was actually KNOCKED DOWN by the closet door as my husband opened it. There was no way to get the ironing board to hang on those hooks, so I just leaned it up against the wall of the room, next to the TV.

Before retiring, I looked for a surface on which to rest my eyeglasses, but because I was on the wrong side of the bed from the night stand, I just reached up and lay my glasses on the flat surface at the top of the headboard. Imagine my surprise when the four feet of flat trim separated from the headboard and began to slide off. This was a brand new bed! Later, I noticed another piece of board resting ON THE WIRES BEHIND THE TV -- it turned out to be a three foot long piece of trim which someone stashed out of sight after it fell off (or possibly was never installed at all on) the FRONT of the CREDENZA. The same ninth grader must have assembled that new credenza as well as the headboard!

Marble Waters does not have rooms with two queen beds -- we struggled to sleep in the doubles. But we KNEW we were getting doubles. What we did NOT anticipate was the noise and inefficiency of the air conditioner -- the room always seemed warm and humid, though we cranked the AC up pretty high. We also noticed that in the bed closest to the window, we could not sleep because of the AC noise, and in the bed further away, the AC, though not as loud, just didn't seem to reach to cool the air. I had expected a new hotel to have efficient, quiet AC units, but this was not the case.

BTW, my husband also pointed out that there was no artwork at all on the walls of the room -- the burnt orange and pumpkin painted walls were completely bare.

Though free breakfast was not advertised or even mentioned on the hotel website, we were pleased to find out at check-in that we would get a continental breakfast with our room. Pleased, that is,UNTIL we went to partake. The breakfast consisted of a platter of Sara Lee-style mini cinnamon rolls, a platter of tiny croissants, a platter of sliced melons and strawberries, and a selection of mostly kiddie cold cereals (Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, that sort of thing.)

But there was coffee! WELL, MAYBE NOT! There were china mugs set upside-down on the buffet table, so I picked one up. As I was about to fill it from the carafe of coffee, my husband pointed out that there was lipstick on the rim of the mug. Oops! Slight dishwater failure -- it happens. So I took another cup. This time I examined it myself -- oops, coffee dribbles down the inside. Hmmm -- another dishwater failure! I picked up two more mugs -- neither was clean. I was beginning to despair, but took a final chance . The last mug had a HUGE HUNK OF WHAT LOOKED LIKE RED VELVET CAKE (maybe it was expanded cold cereal?) stuck on the inside of the mug. I was dumbstruck. I found an employee who had been puttering around and showed her the FIVE dirty mugs I had found -- she apologized and said she would mention it to the dishwasher. By this time, I was pretty convinced that the hotel had NOT HIRED A DISHWASHER.

Well, at that point I opted for a foam coffee cup (I hate foam coffee cups...) and poured myself some coffee. One sip, and I was done. I make my TEA stronger than that coffee. It was, literally, undrinkable. I actually think what came out of that coffee carafe might have been the water in which the "dishwasher" had "washed" the dishes! Nasty.

Unlike every modern hotel, the Marble Waters did not have express check out, so we had to check out at the front desk before we (gladly!) left.

We had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express West while visiting our family in Jacksonville. The Marble Waters Hotels was closer, newer, and looked more luxurious (in pictures) than the Holiday Inn Express, so I was very hopeful about it. It is not the VERY WORST hotel I have ever stayed in, but it is pretty close!

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 2of5ToGo
MarbleHotel2013, General Manager at Marble Waters Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
As the Maagement of Marble Waters Hotel and Suites,

I would like to post a response to the pressing issues that have arisen. First and foremost I want to say, Due to the large amount of guests, we have had to double our staff to insure all guests’ needs are met, and our staff is doing a tremendous job making sure of that. We take all of our customer’s reviews very seriously and treat them with the upmost care. Resolving a few issues I would like to say that we have made the necessary changes in order to accommodate our guests’ needs. We no longer charge for any addition coffee or water refills in the rooms.

The continental breakfast has been eliminated and replaced with a deluxe, hot breakfast bar. We do apologize for the neglect on our behalf, and will see to it that it never happen again. That issue concerning the restaurant has also been resolved. We at Marble Waters Hotel and Suites, and the Brinkk Restaurant are striving to assure that each and every guest is accommodated in a professional and timely fashion. We thank you for your feedback and hope that these corrections will lead you to return.

Thank you for your honesty and concerns they have all been addressed and corrected.

The Owner and Management Of Marble Waters Hotel & Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

My visit to this hotel was to visit family and be in close proximity to the beach without soending an arm and a leg. I was highly disappointed by my stay. Room srrvice was slow and the front desk staff was adequate, although it appeared the front desk clerk doubles as the restaurant manager!! The restaurant was another story in itself! I give the nice gentleman credit that was running between the front desk and the restaurant, he even stopped at our table to make sure we had what we needed. He spoke pleasently to his waitstaff even under pressure and went the extra mile at the front desk with the customers. Other than that our stay was disappointing, everything seemed in disarray which is a shame for such a lovely hotel! I hope they keep the fella that was doing double duty! If they get organized it has potentional. But for now the verdict is still out.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Holly P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

The hotel was beautiful. My room could've been cleaner. The highlite was when I choose to eat down in the restaurant , I didn't see anything that I wanted on the menu and ask to speak with the chef and he came out and was very attentive and made me an amazing dinner. Ill definitely be back as long as chef James is cooking!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Carmennnnnn
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

On our way to see our son and his family, we have been watching this hotel in the making for several months. We had wanted to stay there since it's the closest hotel to them and we don't want to impose when we visit.
This is a BEAUTIFUL, NEW (opened March 2013) and VERY MODERN hotel. There were some very nice amenities in our Queen room (beside the regular fridge and microwave, etc.): a Spa tub, 42" flat screen TV, a Keurig Coffee Maker with bottled water and coffee to use in it, and a docking station on the radio/alarm for IPhone!
I am thinking that this is possibly a first of a new chain of hotel/suites. They have a few quirks to adjust and change, but overall it will be great! Beautiful and Affordable with luxuries others might not offer for the price.
PROS....The amenities mentioned, amazing bed, beautiful hotel, pool and hot tub.
CONS....Complimentary Breakfast was not what they listed in their welcome letter. :-(
The room was a little small, but I'm sure the KING room would be bigger,
There was no diet coke or pepsi to be found.
I have signed up for their "Newsletter" and have tried to sign up for their "Guest Loyalty Program" with no luck. This would really help us in choosing this hotel again.

Room Tip: Complimentary Breakfast is mostly "CONTINENTAL". Don't expect eggs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mnew4
MarbleHotel2013, Manager at Marble Waters Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding our property.

Also we have replaced the continental breakfast with a hot, fresh breakfast bar.

We at Marble Waters Hotel and Suites are striving to assure that each and every guest is accommodated in a professional and timely fashion. We thank you for your feedback and hope that these corrections will lead you to return.

Thank you for your honesty.

The Owners and Management Of Marble Waters Hotel & Suites
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Room service was bad, asked for extra soap & towels, we never got.
The restaurant was nice, but very, very slow.
We loved the hotel itself, I think the workers need to take more pride in their job.
We loved that different floors was different colors.
The 2nd floor-silver 3rd floor-gold, 4th-Emerald.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mattie J
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our hotel and restaurant!

we have since then made the corrections and changes to better serve our guests.

we look forward to your return!
sincerely,

Management
Greenville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

My family (sisters and husband) recently stayed in 2 rooms of the Marble Waters Hotel in Jacksonville, FL for our grandmother's funeral. The building itself (inside and facade) appeared new and while clean, was minimal and not impressive. The grounds around the hotel show signs of recent construction (e.g., two empty, rusty trailer pods, no landscaping, etc.). The interior appeared clean, as did our rooms. The lobby lacked much decor apart from a vintage car parked in the middle of the hotel which did not necessarily fit the rest of the theme.

Our rooms were clean but the bedding smelled new-slightly rubbery and plasticky-not very welcoming and the comforter did not have a duvet cover. The pillows were flat and after sleeping on them for a few hours, became flat and unsupportive. The mattress itself was acceptable and not too firm or soft. The room had a decent flat-screen HDTV with standard cable (although we didn't have much time to watch). While the rooms had 2 lamps, the only light/ceiling fixture was not very bright and the white plastic cover was crumpled and sloppy and in need of replacing. The bathroom light and vent switch were one in the same, so anytime one turned on the light, the vent/fan came on and that was very loud, especially for people trying to rest/sleep. Also, rather than using a cloth-type shower-curtain, the bathrooms were equipped with plastic curtains, which made me wonder how easily housekeeping staff could clean or would clean those. My sisters requested complementary toiletries but they never received them. However, the worst part of this hotel was the customer service and poor management. Apparently the church (or pastor??) beside the hotel financed and built the hotel; THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS RUNNING A HOTEL. The office staff was utterly incompetent. My father reserved and was told both rooms contained double queen beds; the beds were full. My father both called and visited the hotel to leave his credit card information for billing. Upon arrival the office staff did not have his payment information and then requested our credit card for check-in. We acquiesced 1) because he (my father) was at my grandmother's visitation and we did not want to bother him, 2) we provided the staff with his number to call him and correct the billing issue, thinking it would be resolved so that we could proceed to our rooms. WRONG. My father called the hotel the next day, provided them with his credit card information; they informed him that the information was there all along, and that the person who checked us in must not have seen it (well, duh, Sherlock). They took his information and "removed" us from their billing entry. However, imagine our surprise when we check our online statement and find that MARBLE WATERS HOTEL HAS A PENDING CHARGE ON OUR CREDIT CARD FOR THE TWO ROOMS. Oh wait, it gets better. Not only did they attempt to charge our credit card, but they charged my father's card plus an additional $100 transaction. This hotel has now gone from $230 to $560 worth of charges between my father and us. My father calls (again) the hotel to straighten out the charges and is informed that they will drop the $100 off his credit card and remove the pending charge from our credit card. We *think* the problem is resolved. OH WAIT, IT'S NOT. We check our statement the following day and the charge is official, not removed. My father calls again, to be told that they will remove the charge. We wait and check the statement again and it's still there. We have now filed a contest charge with our credit card company in order to trust someone (ironically a credit card company) more capable of handling this disaster.

Marble Waters Hotel, you have NO business being open. Your staff is incompetent and unable to handle even the most banal of tasks. I cannot believe that a church thought it would be worthwhile to build a hotel (no telling the amount of money wasted here that could have gone to service, missions, etc.) and hire staff that cannot administratively be trusted with the most basic tasks. This is not what we needed on top of our family's loss. Needless to say, save your money and stay elsewhere. The hotel, while clean, cut a lot of quality corners and it shows in the staff and other little touches.

Note: we did not use the pool (it was too cold and rainy) so we cannot comment on that area of the hotel. I'm not sure if they had fitness facilities and did not see any, so again, I cannot comment on that, either.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank RChiu5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville East
Days Inn Neptune Jacksonville Beach Mayport Mayo Clinic NE
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Jacksonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
#55 of 132 in Jacksonville
Hampton Inn Jacksonville East Regency Square

Been to Marble Waters Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!