“Frustrated with the reservation”

Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area
Ranked #6 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 14 June 2014

When I called to make a reservation, I explained that we would need two queen beds and a roll away. After reading the other reviews I also asked for a room on the quiet side of the hotel. We would be arriving late after a very long day in the car. The reservation agent said no problem. When we arrived there were no roll aways left and the window in our room overlooked an outdoor BBQ and party. They did not have any other rooms available. We ended up going to walmart and purchasing a blow up mattress and ear plugs.

On the plus side, the ladies at the front desk were nice and did give us an extra blanket and pillow. The breakfast area was nice too.

We would have booked a room elsewhere if the reservation agent had told us they couldn't accommodate our needs. It was pretty frustrating.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Booksandrain
RT_Fisk, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, Booksandrain.

I am sorry that we did not provide you with exactly what you were expecting when you stayed with us. We are usually able to accommodate most of our guest's requests, but unfortunately there are occasions when circumstances keep us from doing so. If you're ever travelling through Jacksonville again, please contact me and I will make sure your needs are met.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Excellent and quiet hotel. Room was perfectly clean. Location excellent, breakfast buffet excellent. No problems at all, highly recommend. I am VERY PICKY and I was extremely pleased.
I was sort of concerned that it was a "pet friendly hotel" since we have allergies, but we had already booked numerous rooms due to a large family event in town. I didn't see or notice any evidence of any pets at all. The staff was very friendly and professional. The fountain and outdoor area was beautiful for photos, etc. We like it very quiet at night and it was. We also require extreme cleanliness and it exceeded our expectations. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel manager was very helpful in choosing a room for us that was extremely quiet. I cannot reme...
1  Thank Cat191

Thanks for the wonderful review Cat191!

As soon as I read your statement, "...it exceeded our expectations." I knew that I had to print this out for each of our departments to see! We constantly remind each other here that we are here to exceed guest expectations and to provide as close to a perfect experience as we can. We also take a lot of pride in the fact that we are a Pet Friendly hotel that consistently has excellent cleanliness scores. We may have to work a little harder, but that just means our guests have a super clean room!

Thanks again!

- R.T. Fisk

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The noise on Friday night from a large bar next door was so loud that you couldn't sleep. The internet constantly kicked out and was very slow. Why should a guest pay $10 for 'premium' internet service. Shame on you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank MitchellSheinbaum

Thanks for the review Mitchell,

I am sorry the restaurant near the hotel was loud during your stay with us. We are lucky to be near so many dining options here in Jacksonville, but sometimes that convenience can be a disadvantage for us. And I am sorry the Internet was slow for you while you were here. In the future let us know if you're having issues and we can take a look at our access points to see if we can make things better for you. If there's anything else we could have done better during your stay, please let me know!

- R.T. Fisk

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Friendly and helpful staff.. Rooms and hotel very clean. Lobby very comfortable. Location is perfect for business and or pleasure surrounded by many restaurants and cafeterias were you can enjoy different types of food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
RT_Fisk, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thanks for the great review, Leo!

Jennifer and the rest of us here really appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel again on TripAdvisor. As always, it was nice to see you this past time, and we look forward to your next visit!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Let me start with the positives. The location is excellent. We were within walking distance to several restaurants (including a Jason's Deli) and very close to shopping. The neighborhood looked to be very nice. The property was clean and nicely decorated. The room was upgraded and clean. The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn fare and was presented well.

The only problem was when we got ready for bed. The down comforters are always too thick for my wife. She always sleeps under the thin blanket stored in the closet in every other Hampton inn we have stayed in (from CA to ME). When she unfolded the blanket in our room she found that it was for a twin sized bed. We were in a room with two queens so the blanket did not provide nearly enough cover. She went downstairs and talked to the clerk at the front desk. My wife was told that they did not have any larger blankets and that Hampton Inn didn't provide larger blankets. She was also told that those blankets were for the sofa beds. Considering that all the sofa beds are queen sized and there was no sofa in our room, we thought that was a bit odd. The clerk offered to fill out the 100% guarantee claim form. True to their word, we didn't pay for the room because they did not have what was needed to make us comfortable. The manager the next day said that they should have found us another blanket.

We have never had to resort to the Hampton Inn guarantee, but they did stand by their word. We did not have the same experience at other Hampton Inns on this trip so we are just going to chalk this up to employee training. If a blanket is important to you, check the closet before checking in.

Room Tip: Rooms with two queens are all centered around the elevator shaft. We occasionally heard it during t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review PlannedSpontaneity!

I know we spoke while you were here, but I would like to apologize again for the issues during your stay. I appreciate you bringing the issue to our attention, and I want you to know that thanks to you, we are taking a closer look at what we have on hand to provide to our guests, and we will be purchasing the necessary replacements to be ready in the future.

Thank you again for letting us know how we could be better! Safe Travels!

-R.T. Fisk

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We checked into this hotel after leaving another. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms were squeaky clean. the bedding was fresh and the beds were comfy. We had the convenience of a fridge and microwave in our room. There was even popcorn for us!The breakfast was fabulous. No one can top the home made waffles!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks for the TripAdvisor review Claudine!

We try our best to provide our guests with the best experience possible while they are here, so I'm glad we were able to exceed your expectations. Mini fridges and microwaves are really convenient when you travel, which is why those are actually in every room of our hotel!

And I'm also glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary breakfast. The homemade waffles are tough to beat!

Thanks again!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This property has many unique capabilities. They allowed my small dog to stay and had a place to walk her, had a place to park my rental moving truck and trailer, had a military discount, and the breakfast area and lobby (and our rooms) were exceptionally nice. The staff was superb - friendly and professional. And there were several good choices for dinner within a block.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
RT_Fisk, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thanks Jim, for the nice review of our hotel!

It is tough to travel these days with a moving truck and trailer, not to mention when you've also got your pet with you, so I'm glad we were able to provide you with everything you needed! We take a lot of pride in our friendly and professional staff, so it's good to hear that the service and the room itself were exceptionally nice for you. If you're ever travelling back through the area, stop in and say hello!

Thanks again,