“Poor service and obviously sullen staff turned good food into a bitter experience...”
Review of Cafe Freda - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cafe Freda
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Reviewed 15 June 2014

What should have been a sterling food experience, turned sour due to service problems. I had worked hard to talk my wife into trying this potential gem, and she consented because of Father's Day. I should have known something was askance when I had to wait five minutes to be acknowledged after seating ourselves, which breaks my usual rule of not waiting after the first 90 seconds. This oversight and poor start to the dining experience was ominous, given that there were only 4 other tables (2 inside, 2 outside) being serviced by three obviously frazzled staff members. We had waited until after 1 pm in order to avoid the 12-1 brunch crush that usually pervades our neighborhood establishments. Brunch must have been a bear, because you could hear the hostility among the staff (one of whom I think is the owner) hissing at each other in the back and they all had that "I wish I were anywhere but here" look in their voices and body language.

This is sad, because the food was tasty and quickly served, once our waiter finally came to take our drink and lunch order. The uncomfortable vibe made us hunch our shoulders, quickly shovel down the food and make a hasty exit.

I will probably give this place another chance, since the menu has some interesting options (not inexpensive by the way) but I am not sure I can get my wife to accompany me next time. She is not quite as forgiving as I am.

• Visited June 2014

“What a gem!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This little restaurant in Riverside is a hidden gem. It is new, run by a mother and her son (who is the chef), but the food is fabulous....and for those who enjoy non-chain restaurants...this place is a MUST!

Varied menu - with many choices for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.

I say - MUST GO!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Gatorpenny
Pensacola, FL
“Nice Little Restaraunt in Riverside”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Was in Jacksonville on vacation and stopped at this cafe while in riverside. Loved the arts and crats home that it is in and the painting choices and decor are very nice. We were greeted by an nice young lady and the waitress was prompt and attentive. The beer choices were varied and eclectic. Our food was very good and we had the banana pudding with ginger snaps which was fabulous!
I was suprised that there were not more people eating supper there as it was close to being empty at 7pm on a Friday evening.
If was to complain about anything, it would be that a side was not provided with my gyro, otherwise, I found Cafe Freda as very nice place to eat and relax and will definately return.

• Visited November 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent food. Odd service.”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had the fried oysters with fries and a side of fresh veggies. My husband had the pulled pork with beans, rice, and plantains. We both loved our food. Even my dipping sauces (tarter and cocktail) were apparently homemade. It was a slow night for Cafe Freda and the food was delivered promptly after we ordered it.

Only two slightly less favorable observations: (1) the waitstaff seemed awkward/raw -- like they have not been in the biz for long; (2) the lighting inside the restaurant is much too bright for evening meals. We chose to sit outside just to be out of the glare of the lights.

Overall, nice little place with wonderful food.

• Visited November 2013
St. Augustine
“Lunch Visit”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We very much enjoyed this made from scratch lunch spot. We both felt it was a bit pricey for what it was but it was very delicious. We will be back.

• Visited September 2013