“Great place to spend an afternoon”

Tree Hill Nature Center
Ranked #56 of 171 things to do in Jacksonville
More attraction details
Owner description: Tree Hill Nature Center is a nonprofit wildlife preserve conveniently located in the midst of a Jacksonville, Florida suburb. Tree Hill is an urban wilderness of unspoiled, undeveloped land right in the heart of the city.
Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great place to spend an afternoon”
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

We spent a terrific few hours at Tree Hill Nature Center as guests of my sister-in-law, a local who visits Tree Hill often. "Wow, this place is old-fashioned," said my ten year old, as we walked in from the parking. "Wood buildings, wood benches, little trails..." We enjoyed the displays and animals in the air-conditioned nature center, then headed outside. My little girl loved the goats, my son liked the gopher turtles, and I was delighted to see the chickens roaming freely.

It was a hot and humid day, but we were completely shaded on the trails. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of mosquitos! There were lots of great tree stumps and tree roots along the trails, as well as fallen trees to rest on (and benches). We saw three enormous spiders with webs along the fence, which our group found both fascinating and horrifying.

As we returned from the trails, there was a nature presentation going on outside. We saw an opossum, a very large snake, and a small alligator, that wiggled a lot! The kids were thrilled to touch the animals, and, as a parent, I appreciated the hand sanitizer that was distributed after each animal.

In short, a great place for kids of all ages and inexpensive! One word of caution, it is not stroller friendly outside on the trails, so little ones will need to walk or be carried.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank ErinRu

Jacksonville, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Peaceful, relaxing afternoon....so close to home!”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This place is amazing! Who knew Jacksonville had a hidden gem right next to downtown? You could spend hours on the trails in the woods, or go up to their main building for time with native Florida plants and animals. Its so affordable, too.....for the price, you CAN'T beat it. I'm planning to bring a picnic next time I go! Love this place....plus, the goats are cool.

Visited June 2013
Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Nice place to bring the family”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

They release butterflies and it is a lovely natural setting. Nice place to take children. They have a welcome center and people in there who are knowledgable about the local flora and fauna.

3 Thank GOP_GalFlorida
San Diego, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Class trip”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My daughter went here on a class trip and was so excited when she got home. She loved it and really, frankly wouldn't shut up about it. I'll be taking her back there soon!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Becca868
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice place to have a walk.”
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

I visited the center with my 20 month old daughter. They have lots of picnic tables and there is alot of shade. They had the butterfly enclosure. My daughter loved it. They also had goats, roosters, chickens, possums and an alligator. I must warn you there are lots of Mosquitos. They have trails and one That is wheelchair accessible. The staff was nice and helpful.

2 Thank Carmenec

Been to Tree Hill Nature Center? Share your experiences!