“An awesome trail”

Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail
Ranked #22 of 175 things to do in Jacksonville
More attraction details
Owner description: Once a part of the CSX railway line, the Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail will be a thoroughfare for hikers, bikers, and equestrians when complete. This unique park provides a 14.5-mile greenway between Imeson Road and County Road 121, just past the town of Baldwin.
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is a fantastic trail for bike riders, roller blading or just going for a long walk. Just over 14 miles long and plenty of parking. The trail is very flat except a couple of slight hills that your wont even hardly notice. The trail is paved and very smooth. There is three bathrooms, one at each end of the trail and again at the half way point. Your will not be alone here, it's the most popular trail in north east Florida, yet because of the size, it's never crowded. You could also see wild life such at wild turkeys, deer, eagles, peacocks, and others.

3  Thank rscj

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Good for a long ride; don't like the electric lines crackling overhead in one area and it is kind of remote for lone rider.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Great family outing. You can opt to run or ride your bike. I love it that it is level as my endurance level is a little low, but you are able to build it up. No water on the end, so bag up a few bottles. Potties in the parking lot. Awesome skyline.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

a multi-use wide asphalt trail for hiking, jogging, in-line skating or cycling; an off-road bike trail; and a horseback riding trail. 15 miles of freedom to enjoy the outdoors with family and friends.

Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

Rode the entire round trip today, 29 miles. It was perfect weather and the lot was full- we weren't the only ones to take advantage of the spring like day! We parked at the trail head in Jacksonville on Imeson Rd. There is a restroom here. Even though the lot was full the trail was not crowded. Most people were on racing type bikes, couple runners, few casual bike riders (like me and my bf), couple walkers around the trail entrances, I saw 4 skaters (roller blade or speed skate), and 2 horseback riders (they have a non paved trail to themselves).
At the beginning of the trail there are 3 roads to cross then the trail is pretty much smooth straight shot to Baldwin. There were I think 3 more road crossings stretched far apart and not very busy roads. The other crossings on the trail are for driveways or JEA access roads or pasture crossings. They have made an underpass for 301, very well landscaped too.
The bathroom at Camp Milton is very nice, there are 2 picnic tables, and water fountains. We did not ride into the Camp but you could if you wanted to. I've walked around there it's a nice place. The boardwalk trail probably wouldn't be good for bikes though.
The trail really opens into farm land and forest after there. Its beautiful and the tree canopy overhead keeps the sun from being too strong. You do pass by a dairy farm (I think) close to the Brandy Branch JEA power plant- it is very smelly if the wind is blowing towards the trail, lol!
There is a railroad crossing as you approach Baldwin (hey it is a Rail trail) but there are crossing arms to warn you as well.
The Baldwin park has covered picnic area. I did not see a bathroom there. I think there was a water fountain.
The end trail is at Brandy Branch Rd. You will have gone 14.5 miles now. The bathroom is port o potties-no hand washing station. There is one picnic table and a couple benches. I think there was a water spicket here but I cant remember. We brought our own water and snacks.
Everyone on the trail was courteous. Said "hello or how are you" as you passed in opposite direction. Good morning/afternoon was also a popular greeting. Almost all of the fast bike riders would alert you they were on your left before approaching/passing.
There are several benches and trash cans along the route. It is all paved and wide. The water crossings are well fenced. It is quiet and a good way to clear your head or enjoy time with a friend while doing something good for you. There are cameras on posts along the route. I think they are motion type, they're mounted in boxes and well camouflaged so they don't distract from the scenery. The trail does not have lights- it is for day use only. Mostly the trail is flat/level but there are a few inclines- so that means there are a few declines too- no pedaling was welcome on the end of our journey. Animals seen: squirrels, cows/steers, chickens, dogs, donkeys, horses, birds, turtles, and butterflies.
We did round trip at a leisurely pace in 3hr44min. I use the endomondo app to track distance/speed/time/etc., and paused the time when we took our breaks. I must of did a few extra laps in the lot cos it said we went 29.71 miles. Burned 2708 calories!
Go check it out soon! You won't be sorry!

Been to Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail? Share your experiences!