“Not impressed...not comparable to other B&Bs” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riverdale Inn

Riverdale Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Jacksonville B&B and Inns
Hilton Head, Sc
“Not impressed...not comparable to other B&Bs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed 2 nights in the Carriage House with our young children. I had bought a voucher on Living Social for this inn, figuring it would be somewhere we could wind down after a trip to Disney. If I had known the lack of quality and unfriendliness of the innkeepers, I never would have wasted my money.
The carriage house had an awful smell the entire time we were there. There was a noisy dehumidifer we had to keep running all day and night to keep the smell to a minimum. The carpet needed replacing and the walls had cauck pasted along them. Tacky.
We did not feel very at home here. It is not luxury by any means.
On a high note...breakfast was good. The woman who served us the 1st morning was very nice. The nearby park was a nice walk as well.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank spagurrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

My husband and I had a great time this past weekend at Riverdale Inn. We had a really nice room w/ a comfy bed and great A/C. The house smelled like candles and baked desserts morning, noon, and night! Breakfast was home cooked and delicious. The tea at noon was a really nice surprise...fresh baked scones, muffins, and cookies with hot tea. The family that owns the home is very welcoming. There are some good restaurants on Margaret St for dinner/drinks (a 3min walk). The art museum is 2blks from the Inn and the water taxi picks up under the bridge only a few blks away to take you over to Landings. We highly recommend this Inn!!

Room Tip: You can check out the floorplan on the website and see which room best suits you! Some have tubs vs...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

I bought a deal on LivingSocial for a 2 night stay at The Riverdale Inn for my husband and I. The Inn is beautiful and well appointed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We very much enjoyed our stay. Breakfast was delicious. The inn is located in a nice area of downtown near the St John's river. There were many walkers / joggers. It felt like a very safe neighborhood. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms were lovely.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Umatilla, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

This is a top notch Bed and Breakfast Inn. The hosts were excellant and friendly. The dinner is suberp in taste and cooked home made. The peacefulness and quiet was wonderful to embrace. We will be coming back for another stay.

Room Tip: Windsor suite
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

After searching for a 4 or 5 star hotel on the Westside of Jax, I located Riverside Inn as the closest to the Westside with nice accommodations. I haven't been disappointed. The Victorian style is tastefully appointed, the online photos are recent & accurate. Wi-Fi is great!

Maybe a casual written breakfast menu would be helpful.

This B&B is close to numerous medical facilities & St. Vincent's Hospital. It would make perfect accommodations for those getting outpatient treatment and/or visiting patients receiving treatment. One man in the lobby when I arrived said he stayed here often.

On 3rd full day now & still don't know who proprietor's are as no one other than the housekeeper has introduced themselves. Not the hospitable environment I'm used to in B&B's but my overall visit was pleasant and I would definitely recommend this establishment.

Late night arrivals (mine at 11 pm) are not recommended for those with accessibility issues or women travelling alone. Informed staff I would be travelling alone & would be 'late arrival'. They gave me 'gate code' which I mistakenly thought was a parking gate access code. (It's a door code.) Aware of crime in area & seeing homeless people, I wasn't comfortable leaving my luggage in the car overnight - which was originally suggested. Not informed of front access requirement for 'late arrivals' earlier, I lugged heavy suitcases to back entrance first & was dissapointed to read a small sign that directed me to front entrance 'after hours'. Then lugged suitcases to front door and up flight of stairs myself. If you have accessibility issues, do not arrive after the office closes! And bring your reading glasses to read the note on the front door! After reading instructions in my room indicating that 'late arrivals could use front or rear entrance', I brought the discrepancy in their exterior signage instructions to their attention and they said they'd correct the instructions to allow 'late arrivals' rear access w/access ramps and proximity to parking.

I stayed in the Roosevelt room on the 2nd floor. Bed was very comfortable and slept soundly. Clawfoot tub is charming but NOT recommended for anyone who might fall or is in any way unstable. I'm 5'2" and had difficulty getting in and out of clawfoot tub. It doesn't have handrails to steady yourself. No soap dish in tub or shower. Counter space is limited.

If you have electronics (i.e. computer, phone, etc.), there are limited electrical outlets. I'd ask for a surge protector too. It would give you more outlets and may protect your equipment against surges during storms or older wiring. (I unplugged my computer during a thunder storm just to be sure.) Bring someone technical if you want to operate the AC! After trying to figure out the operating remote @ 11 pm, I gave up and unplugged it with a plastic coat hanger in the closet. (Even after recuperating from long drive, the next several days I continued to operate the unit through the outlet.) It must be a challenge to retro-fit A/C units in older homes. There was a pre-set commercial grade de-humidifier in the room. It woke me up in the middle of the night as it came on twice. The bed was so comfortable, I quickly fell back into a deep sleep. Being from Houston, I'm used to humidity and didn't find the humidity to be a problem.

The location is in a 'transitioning' part of Jax so the periphery of the area is somewhat 'edgy' - lots of homeless as you exit the hwy to enter Stockton. Friend warned me of late-night muggings so I don't recommend venturing out at night on foot. I walked during the day and felt safe & comfortable. Beautiful older homes are charming and made the walk very interesting. Bring your tennis shoes and running gear. Lots of people out walking, jogging & cycling. Great new restaurants and shopping minutes away driving West down Riverside & St. John's Avenue).

I tend to think these folks are relatively new and just working out the kinks. I'm confident that'll they'll continue to get better.

Room Tip: I stayed in Roosevelt room on 2nd floor. I would not recommend this room for anyone with unsteady ga...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at The Riverdale Inn on a LivingSocial deal and I must say we thoroughly enjoyed it. We were looking to do something different during our stay in Orlando and this looked like the perfect choice.
We weren't disappointed! From the time we arrived to the time we left that staff looked after us very well. We got a pleasant greeting and the check-in too no more than 2 - 3 minutes before we were shown to our lovely room. The polished wood floors and the other furnishings in the house are beautiful. On our first evening after a short walk we sat on the little balcony and drank our complimentary bottle of wine. It was an excellent way to end the day after the long drive from Orlando.
The next morning we had a lovely breakfast and then used the free tickets provided to go and look around the Cummer Museum and Gardens. While the museum is not huge it is lovely and a nice way to pass a couple of hours. The gardens are very nice and it was very pleasant to walk around them.
After the museum we returned to the Riverdale Inn for High Tea which was very elegant and very tasty. We then went for a rummage around the local brick-a-brack shops and we really enjoyed examining the various bits and pieces in each of the shops. One mans trash is definitely another mans treasure! After the museum we returned to the Riverdale Inn for High Tea which was very elegant. We then went for a drink and some snacks in the Irish Pub before we ended by having a mexican meal in the restaurant next door.
Overall we had a great time in the Riverdale Inn and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Jacksonville area.

Room Tip: Check the web-site and then ask. There are only 10 rooms.
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

We came to the Riverdale to celebrate our 1 year anniversary (Thanks Living social!) From the moment we stepped inside, everyone was so helpful. Eric checked us in and had great reccomendations for hotels, shops and activities. He even brought up our bottle of champagne and 2 glasses in an ice bucket while we were out so we found it when we returned.
The room was very clean and comfortable. The mini fridge was nice to have as were the bathrobes.
We ate breakfast in the dining room downstairs and it was delicious (can you can Pecan waffles?!?!) On our second day we also attended afternoon tea. Carolyn served up some really tasty desserts and sandwiches (the Lemon cookies...yum!)
The location is walking distance from Publix as well as a bunch of cool shops and restaurants (we were visting on a football weekend and had a great time at O'Brother's Pub). Every Saturday there is an Art festival/farmer's market a few blocks away.
I feel like I could go on and on about what a wonderful weekend we had. I would definitely reccomend the Riverdale and hope to stay there again soon.