“Ignored”

Ranked #1 of 9 Jacksonville B&B and Inns
Linthicum, Maryland, United States
“Ignored”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This might sound picky, but it keeps coming to mind.
When I phoned Sat afternoon, and when I picked up my key early that evening, I told the host that I was there because my mom was in hospice nearby. It is the only lodging for miles around. But I did not move into the room till Sunday afternoon, which they must have noticed; the reason was I stayed at the hospital all night and she died at dawn (4 days ago, now).
My gripe is that no one ever said a kind or personal word to me. Not even to ask where I came from, whether I was enjoying my stay, nothing, even if they forgot I was there for hospice reasons. I was spoken to only in relation to breakfast food choices.
I know this is picky. Perhaps it had something to do with my renting the cheapest room; perhaps because hospice guests are unlikely to be repeat customers. Perhaps it was because I didn't pet their dog (adorable, I just don't like to handle dogs right before eating.)
But it will be a lasting memory to me, eating breakfast and the only human beings in sight ignoring me as much as possible.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Frederica M
Riverdaleinn, Owner at Riverdale Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
We are sorry for your lost. We returned from a vacation the day after you checked in and were unaware of your plight. We normally greet every guest and see to their needs. We apologize for the oversight.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had to go to Jacksonville for business and decided to treat myself to a B&B rather than an impersonal hotel. Riverdale Inn was wonderful. Bob and Linda made me feel so at home. I had a lovely room with lots of windows. Located in one of the loveliest old neighborhoods in Jacksonville (also my hometown, so I know), Riverside/Avondale, which provided me a beautiful place to do my morning five-mile walk. Back for a delicious omelet with fruit, cheese grits and toast with French-press coffee. Made the whole trip a pleasure. Don't miss Biscotti's restaurant just two miles away. You'll be glad you went.

Room Tip: They gave me a room in the back which was very quiet, but I don't image there's too much noi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobinFour
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My boyfriend and I visited the Riverdale Inn for my birthday and we were very happy with our stay. The Inn has an old southern charm but is updated and modern, as well. The check in process was easy, and the person at the front desk was very welcoming and friendly. The food in the morning is delicious and made to order, which is nice for a picky eater like myself. Finally, the location is great - just a short walk from the water and a nice strip of restaurants. I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Parrish, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was our first trip to Jacksonville in ages. We went to see our daughter who had recently taken a job in J-ville, and wanted to show us her new digs. We had looked at staying on the beach nearby but because of the quick nature of our visit, we decided to stay somewhere closer. We chose well. The inn is spacious, up to date and well cared for. It's in a great part of town with dining, museums and lots to do close by. It's close to I95 so you can get anywhere in town quickly. I also liked the flexibility with breakfast time. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed here with my partner for a night in Jacksonville, and that was a great decision. This place has got it all. Lovely and historic architecture. A home-y feel. And the owners are so personable! Our room was neat and spacious, plus the fan had already been running for sometime so the room was already cool--crucial to combat the heat and humidity of a summer in Florida!
Also, there are plenty of very nice restaurants and historic neighborhoods in Riverside in Jacksonville that are definitely great to check out and hang out in. I look forward to the next opportunity we have to stay at the Riverdale again!

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My partner surprised me the night before my birthday and got us a room at this quaint B&B in Jacksonville. While her going through all the work and surprising me was enough in itself to make me speechless, once I saw the place and our room in the little Carriage house in the back, I was floored. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathrooms were clean and spacious, and I felt so at home. What a special treat. It got better the morning after, when the innkeeper personally greeted us, chatted with us, and made us a wonderful (can I emphasize, WONDERFUL) breakfast. We were undecided on what to get out of the selection, and she was so accommodating that she ended up making a delicious veggie omelet that was big enough to split between two plates - all with bacon, sausage, and toast. She also made us homemade pecan waffles to split. Everything about this place, from the beautiful architecture, the at-home comforting feeling, to the kindest service, was perfect. If you are looking to stay in Jacksonville (and are even on a budget, because it was only $149 for the room with breakfast included) stay here. It's in such a cute part of town, too. I can't say enough good things about this place.

Room Tip: The carriage house was so cute and it felt like our own little home. I would recommend it!
pNTE vEDRA
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The inn keepers are very warm and friendly. This was our second time at the inn and the experience was just as good as our first. They make you feel like you are home. Our room was very clean and kept up well. They have a wonderful morning breakfast.

The location is excellent well within walking distance to night spots, restaurants, and local events.

It is a perfect stay-cation spot for my wife and I definitely return for another visit soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
1 Thank Vance j