“Staff need to be trained or something.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard
Ranked #35 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Valdosta, Georgia, Usa
“Staff need to be trained or something.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed here on 08/02/14. Upon arrival the lady that checked us in was fairly pleasant, but not at all what I would call friendly. She checked us in, but didn't bother to give directions on how to get to our room, as most of the desk clerks have done in the past.

I decided to go to the pool. Upon leaving the card wouldn't open the door. I had to bang on the door for 5 minutes (about 20 yards from the front desk), until someone came over to let me back in. The hot tub was good and hot, but the jets hardly worked at all. I think only one port actually worked. Attention maintenance!

The room was nice, the bed was comfortable, but the other guest were LOUD! It would seem that this hotel would at least ask the guests coming in after 10 P.M. to hold down the noise. You would have thought that the World Series had just ended. Doors slamming, and a bunch of lip yapping coming from the hallways made it almost impossible to get any sleep.

The next morning, I went down to breakfast, and just as others have stated, it was fair. Cereal, milk, fake eggs (I would doubt that those eggs have ever seen a real chicken), and the like. It was ok for free, but I wouldn't have paid any extra to eat there.

The young woman at the check out was about the most unfriendly staff I have seen at any hotel I have ever stayed at. She never smiled, never made eye contact, and seemed to think that she was doing me a favor by checking me out.
All in all, I will be going back to Jacksonville twice a year, but I might have to find somewhere else to stay. This is just as the name says, only fair.
A couple of things could have made it better: Employees that act like the are "alive", and at least thankful to have a job, if not happy to do it.
And for heavens sake: buy some better eggs!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Ronnie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed in the hotel with my family of 15 people, and when we first got there (most of the family cranky senior citizens) I was glad that the lobby staff were calm and they handled the crowd one at a time and they easily sent us to our rooms. Our room was located on the third floor and we had a view of the pool and Jacuzzi down below. First, if you think this hotel will give you a view...it won't, so don't go there hoping.
When we got there, the rooms were clean and we were pretty pleased that we didn't find anything off. The beds, which are white, are very comfortable. I suggest the person beside the air conditioner turn the air down since the end of the bed feels like you are putting your feet on a block of ice.
Anyway, the TVs were decent (we stayed in a suite) and there were enough outlets, even though there were four of us in the room. The bathrooms were pretty clean and the shower didn't feel like you were bathing in gravel. The shower curtain however did look like it had some mold on it, so be careful. There was also this lingering smell in the room. I don't know what it was but it smelled like bad cucumbers. It was very overbearing and I could smell it all the time. It was very uncomfortable. And I still don't know where the smell came from.
There is a continental breakfast provided. There are a few things you need to know. One, there is only one meat and that is the turkey sausage and the only cooked items are the eggs and sausage. The rest of the food you either have to make yourself or bake yourself. You have to toast your own bagel and they have those microwave hotdogs and sausage biscuits. The coffee was good and they even had a waffle maker which you had to do yourself. The batter was good. The fruit was okay...very limited. Overall, get there EARLY! The food will run out fast because of how limited it is.
The problems arose during the second night. Since there were four of us staying in the room. We needed four towels. The housekeeper, however, only placed three in there, each day. We even told the lobbyist that we needed four towels and he told us that he would tell the housekeeper. However, each day we would have to come down the elevator, even during the night, and get some towels. Then she kept forgetting to give us tissue, so we had to go downstairs and get the tissue. And I would not be writing this if we had arrived on a busy holiday or weekend, but this was on a Monday thru Wednesday and there were hardly any people staying. It really made me disappointed.
Overall though, if you are staying here, only stay here for a few days or stay if you are gone most of the time. The hotel is nice and the staff are very patient. Also, the hotel is 15 to 25 minutes from the beach and it's a straight path. Very convenient location.

Room Tip: The air conditioners are noisy and they randomly make the noise. The person beside the air conditio...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Simply put, I give this location high scores because I have never been made feel more welcome as a guest. From the warm greeting, upgrade to a way nicer room than I booked just be asking, I was very impressed with the service.

Don't let the hidden or surrounding locale fool you. This is a true marriott property and is very comfortable and quiet.

I really enjoyed myself and will stay here every time it am in town.

Nice work guest service team.

• Stayed July 2014
Prattville, Alabama
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to St. Augustine. We were given a room on the 3rd floor & upon walking in, had a strong smell of Clorox hit us. Apparently, they had just cleaned the carpets, possibly???? We left immediately to go to a restaurant & thought it would subside, since they had just cleaned the room. We got back hours later & it was still pretty strong. We were so tired we just decided to stay in the room as it was just one night. The next morning, we noticed a line of mold along the bathroom door frame near the ceiling, so maybe there had been a mold problem in there, thus, the smell of Clorox...ugh! I will say that the beds slept very good & it appeared clean. They offered a complimentary breakfast. If you intend to partake of this, get there early. We went about an hour before they closed it...it is from 8 am to 10 am. It was so crowded & a lot of food was gone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 weeks starting middle of May. Rooms were clean, the place was quiet and the staff was the friendliest and most helpful that I have ever encountered. Especially Carol who took care of us all at Breakfast and was the most wonderful person. To all staff thanks again for everything. Can't wait for a return trip

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for one night on 5/23/2014 as a stop over on the way home from a cruise. Hotel was well maintained and our room was very clean. Location is excellent, in the middle of a large complex of hotels. Safety is always a prime factor for us, and this location is A+ for safety in Jacksonville. We had dinner at a nearby Cracker Barrel restaurant. We did not use the attractive outdoor pool. The bathroom was clean, towels fluffy and shower head perfect. Also most important was the very comfortable mattress and clean bedding. All of this for $85 / night made us overlook the minor problem of inconvenient electrical outlets to charge our phone & I pad. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I thought the rooms were nice and clean, the service was excellent, the staff was friendly but the wifi at this hotel SUCKED. I've stayed out about 1000 nights in the past 5-6 years and this is THE WORST wifi I've ever experienced. I would rather them not even offer internet than tease me with this trash. I stay in hotels because I have to work. The lack of decent wifi and outlets near the desk and beds made this a very frustrating stay.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here if you are here on business.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnO_Buss
JAXBB, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Jacksonville. Thank you for your compliments on service and staff. I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience you experienced as result of the poor Wi-Fi service. Unfortunately we discovered the following day, the router went out. It defaulted to the second back up service however you are corrected it was extremely slow. In addition we are in the process of upgrading our WiFi again to one of the best currently available.