“Nice surprise!”

Holiday Inn Jacksonville E 295 Baymeadows
Ranked #35 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Holiday Inns are not usually my hotel of choice, but for the price and the fact that I could not find a room in the area at my favorite chain, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel seems relatively new and is in an area of new apartments and condos. So promptly at 8 am, I heard the sounds of construction going on nearby. Which is fine, I was already up and getting ready for my day. Unlike Fairfields or other brands, breakast is not included in the price but they do have a restaurant and a bar. I didn't eat at the restaurant but it looked very nice.

I did find it odd when I checked in that the front staff didn't really give me any information about my stay or the hotel (i.e.,"the elevator is to your left", or "the fitness room is down this hall" or "this is the password for internet access"....things like that). She did welcome me with a smile and asked me how my day was going but that was about the extent of our interaction.

The bathroom was clean, with plenty of counter space for all my stuff. It had only a shower (no tub) and there was some rust on the outside edge of the shower pan which looked cracked. Towels were plentiful and of nice quality.

The bed was very comfortable and the pillows had large hang tags that indicated soft or firm which I thought was kind of funny because they felt the same to me! In any event, I got a great night's sleep while I was there.

Overall, I would recommend this Holiday Inn but I believe other brands have better value for the dollar.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Jim T, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Jacksonville E 295 Baymeadows, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your recent review. Feed back such as this allows us to focus on ares that need some help as we strive to get better every day.
Delighted to learn you would recommend us to others even though you are not a frequent Holiday Inn user. Being a Full Service Holiday Inn, you are right in that breakfast is not included in the room rate. We do, however have a breakfast add on available if a guest so chooses.
More than half of our 98 rooms have tubs and showers. The Front Desk person should have asked - and should have provided the other information you referred to. We are addressing that issue and, again appreciate your input.
We hope you will visit again, the next time you are in the Jacksonville, FL area and we look forward to being of service. Have a wonderful summer.
Kindest reagrds,
Jim Tierney - Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel while attending The Players 2012. Great service overall, staff very helpful. Needed a little computer help, got all the help I needed, and more. There is room for improvement in the gym, though. It needs a bench and/or a step for a better workout. But having a gym is great in itself, thank you for that. It was a big bonus. All in all, a great stay and I'll be coming back.

Room Tip: A room turning away from the Interstate is preferable.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Glad to hear you were happy with the accomodations. Hope to have you back as our guest soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Relatively new and clean Hotel. We had a room on the 5th floor right above the pool area.
On the weekend some party was going on there but ended before midnight.
Otherwise the room was nice and quiet, However there's a low frequency noise the assumingly come from the house air conditioning. My wife is sensitive to such noises had to use earplugs
to avoid dizzyness and headache.
The bar is always crowded, thanks to the barkeeper. Staff is friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is not included.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Jim T, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Jacksonville E 295 Baymeadows, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you for your recent review of our Holiday Inn. Delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay, especially our staff. We appreciate the input relative to the A/C noise in the room and will certainly do what necessary to take care of it. Have a wonderful day and better month ahead.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

The staff at the hotel is very confrontational. The general manager does not know how to explain their own debit card policy with out yelling. He also hung the phone up on me. I made a reservation at this place but chose not to stay because of the rude phone service. This maybe a nice place to stay but if you want great customer service and hospitality stay away from this one. And Mr. GM if you are reading this, my family stayed at the SHERATON for twice as much we were going to pay at your location. They enjoyed their stay. Thanks for the poor customer service.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
HI_9A_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Jacksonville E 295 Baymeadows, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear bigtymeMick

You called the hotel and spoke to two persons. The first conversation you had was with our Front Office Manager and the second was with me. You had submitted a “Credit Card Authorization to Charge” form in order to pay for a reservation you had made for a family member. The Authorization to Charge was denied. The reason for denial is that it was a Walmart Debit load card and not a Credit Card.

Debit cards are not the same as a credit card and many guests do not know this until it is too late. The Front Office Manager took a good deal of time trying to explain our policy to you. You were unwilling to accept our policy and the discussion escalated to the point the Front Office Manager asked if I would take the call. I said sure and the call was transferred to me.

Every time you would ask me a question you would interrupt me about half way into my answer with another question. You became angry and verbally abusive. I let you know that if you were unwilling to speak in a reasonable tone I would discontinue the conversation. You continued and became so loud I had no option but to end the call. I politely told you I was ending the call and I said Good Bye.

Our policies and procedures regarding the use of debit cards are in place for a good reason. They protect the card holder from serious errors that can occur on a debit card and could not happen to a credit card.

I am happy you were able to find alternative accommodations for your family.

Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

I just spent May 8 and May 9 2012 at this hotel and found the rooms very clean but front desk customer service very poor . Their so called free shuttle service is a total sham.It only takes guests within a 5 mile radius and only with 24 hours prior notice.So if you need a ride to the airport,to Ponte Vedra Beach,or just across the freeeay to get something to eat you are out of luck.It is the epitomy of cheapness and should be eliminated.I stayed in room 202 and front desk personel not the friendliest i've ever had.Never seting foot in this place again.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Paul B
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Glad to know you found the hotel to be clean and I trust you enjoyed your stay.
Unfortunately we do not provide on-demand transportation. Our van is only used for corporate group travel that is pre-arranged or for a few of our accounts that we have arrangements with them made days in advance.
We have found very little demand for this service as most guest preffer to use their own vehicles to travel while staying at our hotel.
We have several companies that we can contact when guests do need to travel and do not have thier own vehicle. A trip from or to the airport averages about $50
I hope you found our rates to be a great value and lood forward to your return soon.

Norman LeBert - GM

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here in Feb. of 2012. The clerk was very nice and helpful. We were treated like royalty. The room was beatiful. It was my husband's birthday. He was given a complimentary breakfast for his birthday. Thanks a lot.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your late April review of your stay with us in February. We were delighted to be part of your husband's birthday and happy to have provided the "royal treatment." We will pass your kind comments along to our staff as well. We look forward to being of service again, the next time your travels bring you to the Jacksonville, FL area.
Have a wonderful day and a better month ahead.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Me, my husband and five months old daughter stayed here for four nights for our annual family visit. There's not much good options in Jacksonville and Holiday Inn is probably one of the better and newer hotel in town. We booked ourselves in a suites and we found the room decently cleaned, fairly new. The only down side is the air condition which was blasting out at 1000 times stronger than it needed to be (and causing my baby girl a cold). Other than that, it's a clean and new hotel which you'll find all the basic needs fulfilled.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your late April review of your stay with us during your family visit. We appreciate your response and have reviewed your comment relative to the 'overcharged' A/c with our maintainence department. We trust you enjoyed your trip home and look forward to being of service the next time your travels bring you to Jacksonville. Have a very nice week and an even better month ahead.