“Wish we had one in Manhattan”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Deerwood Park
Ranked #5 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
New York
“Wish we had one in Manhattan”
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I recently stayed here with a group of 6 other colleagues. The hotel is in a really quite location even though we were right next to the business park where we needed to be. The manager said that all of the land around the hotel was protected which made it even better.

The rooms were very big compared to the normal non-suite hotels that I am used to staying at. The rooms were spotless so I was able to skip my usual routine of wiping down everything with the can of Lysol wipes that I carry with me when I am on the road. The granite counter tops and tiled backsplashes and overall decor was defineately nicer than what I expected to see in a hotel room.

We were also able to attend the managers social(which was free) on Wednesday where they actually cooked out for everyone. What was even more impressive was the fact that it was pouring rain so they wheeled the grills out front under the canopy. What Service!!! The breakfast was equally as great. It was nice to enjoy an omlette, bacon and actual fresh cut melon not the fruit coctail from a can that I get at other places.

The staff seemed very attentive as well. Everyone greeted me and was very personable as I walked around the hotel. Even the housekeepers who you could tell spoke little to no English were friendly.

All in all a great stay!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Amersfoort
Reviewed 21 March 2009

We are staying here on a weekend and are having a awful experience. There are large groups staying here that are extremly loud. The walls are thin and the flooring makes alot of noise wich doesn't help. But the worst is the attitude of the front desk. They where extremly rude. Maybe we are unlucky that Beverly is not here because she seems te be nice from the reviews we read here. But the guy working here right now is giving attitude and telling us basicly there is nothing he can do. Not a sorry not a try to switch rooms. Nothing what so over. And we are not talking just a loud TV set but people throwing things thru the room, hitting walls, jumping. This hotel can come fairly cheap if booked on priceline or hotwire but even at that price it is not worth it. Booking full price between$89 and $129 is like robbery. Dont stay here is our advice!

4 Thank Amersfoort1960
StaybridgeJax, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Deerwood Park, responded to this review, 5 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I apologize that you were not able to enjoy the level of hospitality, warmth and upscale ambiance that so many of our other travelers have.

We have taken this failure to heart and I personally sat down with the Front Desk staff to conduct one on one training in properly handling sports groups especially in regards to keeping them to one section of the hotel and not allowing them to disrupt other guest’s stays.

I also apologize for the completely unacceptable behavior of the front desk associate. He and the rest of our staff value and appreciate all of our guests. Unfortunately, on this night he lost sight of that and for that I do apologize.

I hope that next time your are in town you will give us one more chance to show you that we will exceed your expectations on all fronts.

Rolf Holte
San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 March 2009

What a great hotel! I got an unbelievably good price on priceline for this property. The hotel is pretty much brand new and is spotless! At check in I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite with two queen beds (Thanks Beverly!!!). The room was fully equipped with a nice kitchen, two flat panel tvs, comfortable beds, and a nice bathroom with a good shower. Granite countertops throughout lended to a classy feel.

Hotel is close to everything in Southside Jax and is a perfect location. Surrounded by nice pine trees, almost giving it a campy feel. The full free breakfast was amazing and people were working hard to make sure it was stocked and of high quality. The waffle maker was great. There was a huge variety to choose from.

Hotel also offers free Internet and 24 hour coffee if you're into that. I can't say anything bad about this hotel except that the bathtub is very slippery and I almost wiped out a few times. I don't know how it would be safe for an older person. They should put mats in there. Otherwise, a perfect stay at a great hotel!

Georgia
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I am a Priority Club Gold Member, and my husband and I booked our stay as a Points Break rewards night (5,000 points only versus the 15,000 usually required). At check-in, I received four small "Priority Club" chocolates (the type you'd find on a pillow); that was a letdown. However, we were upgraded to a king suite. Thanks very much!

The hotel is really lovely. My husband and I are both germophobes, and we were struck with how clean everything was. The separate sitting area/kitchen was a real bonus as I turned in early, and my husband was able to watch TV without disturbing me.

However, DH and I were assigned a ground floor room next to the elevators, and the sound of them ascending and descending was very loud and kept us up late and woke us up too early the next morning. Likewise, the sounds of other guests slamming car doors and talking outside our window. I believe we were placed next to the elevators for the sole reason that we were redeeming PC points as a rewards night. :-( Likewise, the toilet and shower in the room above us was very loud.

While filling, the breakfast was chaotic, and the offerings more in keeping with a Holiday Inn Express. Eggs tasted like powdered eggs and not fresh. Disappointing. Also, not enough room in the dining area; we ended up going back to our room to finish our breakfast as we were surrounded by screaming babies and surly teenagers. (The kids must have been traveling for some sort of out-of-town school event.)

We stayed on a weekend night, so I couldn't comment on the evening get-togethers and grill out. This is a great hotel, minus the kids and the elevators. I would stay here again on business, but request a room away from the elevators and not on the ground floor.

Green Bay, WI
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I have to say thank you to the absolutely wonderful service I have been receiving, from many staff members. Beverly, Mitch, and Rolf have been fantastic with everything from check-in, to giving me ideas of what to do for fun, during the day.

While sitting by the pool, I had the chance to speak to both Tony, the head of maintenance, and Gwen, the head of housekeeping at different times. They were both very friendly, and spoke with integrity and a true desire to make sure I was enjoying my stay.

I did get this hotel through Priceline.com. However, I am sure that next time I'm in Jacksonville, that I will pay full price to stay here again, and skip Priceline all together. I want to make sure I get this hotel again!

Thanks to the fantastic staff at Staybridge!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I booked a night at the Jacksonville Staybridge suites via Hotwire and was blown away by my experience at this extended stay hotel. From the moment I walked in the front door, the staff went out of their way to make my stay there excellent.

The stand-out for me has to be the food available in their 'Great Room'. Not only is there a really nice breakfast spread (fresh eggs, sausage, sliced fruit, yoghurt, cold and hot cereal, tea, coffee, soda, juice, bread and even a make your own

WAFFLE BAR

(sorry, I felt like I needed to emphasize that) but they have several tvs, good seating, and you get to load all that up on real plates and eat with actual silverware! Though there is styrofoam plates in the afternoons, the food provided Tu/Wed/Th is a great light pick-me-up.

Beer and wine are provided as well!

The hotel was very clean and exceptionally neat. The rooms were very comfortable and generously sized, the kitchenette perfect for cooking and stocked with all of the essentials.

Best of all, there is free, fast, wifi available throughout the property.

I had to check out after a night. My next night was in a Hyatt, and boy did I wish I was back at the Staybridge Suites after arriving at the Jacksonville Hyatt! I discovered this gem of a hotel chain by accident, but will definitely be back on purpose.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
New York, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2009

This is the first time I have ever stayed at a Staybridge Suites hotel and me and my fiancee were pleasantly suprised. We ended up staying here for two nights, once on our way down to South Florida and then again on our way home. The hotel is under a year old and is in excellent condition. The hotel itself is spotless and the rooms are extremely comfrotable. We had two flat screen televisions with lots of channels, a fridge, a seperate sitting area, shower with great pressure, and free wireless internet service where you are already logged in. The breakfast was way above what I expected- fresh fruits, eggs, waffles, bagels, muffins, juices and cereal. The hotel staff is great from Beverly and Billy at the front desk right through the breakfast staff and cleaning crew. Beverly was super helpful and nice with us ordering a pizza at night and Billy was just as nice and helpful on our way home. Thanks guys we appreciated your kindness. Other nice things about this hotel is a very nice fitness center, free laundry, a pool and jacuzzi and 24 hr mini mart. The hotel is in a great location near a lot of restaurants and other attractions in Jacksonville. Would definitely reccomend and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple