“Avoid at all Costs”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #106 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Made reservation on line at Choice Hotels, I was visiting Jacksonville on business and I was looking for a place centrally located as I was working north east and south west. This hotel was conveniently located midway. The price was average for the Quality Inns that I usually stay at. The hotel website looked good so I made the reservation. I arrived in Jacksonville about 6 pm and proceeded to check in. The front desk clerk was friendly and cooperative. There was another person standing behind the counter as well and he spoke up and said that it was a good thing I had a reservation as there were only 2 rooms left. He continued on to say that most of the rooms at this hotel were not available to rent due to needed repairs. I checked in and immediately went to check out this room before taking in my luggage. What I found was so disturbing that I immediately went back to the front desk to ask for another room. Upon entering the room there were 2 large ( about 6 inch diameter) stains on the carpet, most of the light fixtures were missing bulbs and the room just appeared dingy and dirty.I went back to the lobby and The front desk clerk asked me if I would consider looking at a different room before I canceled my reservation and looked elsewhere. I said that I would consider taking a look at another room. He gave me a key to a 2 room suite on the third floor. I exited the lobby area and proceeded toward the elevator to check out this third floor suite. On the way to the elevator I passed the ice machine which was not operational and the front panel was falling off, I boarded the elevator to find that it also was in similar condition, the door panel for the emergency phone was broken off and hanging, the floor indicator lights did not function and the interior panels were in disarray. I reached the third floor and entered the 2 room suite. At first glance it appeared tolerable but upon further investigation I found light fixtures missing bulbs, the chair at the desk had a pillow on the seat, I sat down only to almost fall through the bottom of the chair, I removed the pillow to see the seat of this wicker chair was worn through and covered by the pillow. I proceeded to check out the bathroom and found a cockroach running around in the tub. That did it for me! I exited that room, boarded that unsafe elevator only because I could not find a stairway and returned to the front desk clerk. I handed him back the key to the room and said that I would look elsewhere.
I am a business traveler, my requirements for a hotel room are minimal : cleanliness first, comfortable bed and a working area with with a good WiFi connection. This hotel failed all three of my requirements. Their website was deceiving and the accommodations were truly unacceptable. This hotel should not be listed on the Choice Hotels website!

Room Tip: Always check out the room before you carry in your luggage, it can save you time and effort. Don'...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
michelle h, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

I apologize you had such a horrible experience at this property, however, I AM HAPPY to say we are under new ownership and the hotel is 1000 better than before. We just reopened in June 2014 after doing some wonderful renovations. I truly hope you give a chance to show you in the future that we are so much better than the previous owners!!!

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I found the hotel on the internet.When you first see this hotel on the internet it looks quite nice.But the sad thing is it has been run down.Apparently we were told that it is going into bankruptcy.So I'm guessing there is no money going into repairs. To bad,with proper maintenance it could still have been very nice. It is in a very good location.There is a Dennys in walking distance and it was near I-95.The staff who were there were very helpful when we found that the door of our room was found to have been jimmied and quickly gave us another room.I personally would not use this hotel in the future and would not recommend to anyone else.I did noticed that there were construction workers that were at this hotel,maybe this place would be good enough for workers working in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

This particular property has been purchased by new owners and all previous issues have been handled and/or eliminated. We have done renovations and look forward to being given the opportunity to meet your lodging needs in the future.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Should have read the reviews. Booked on-line through Choice Hotels. I've always been satisfied with their properties. Not this one. The room seemed clean, sort of, beat up, scarred, but barely passable. Exterior spaces were filthy as well as beat up. Fixing the terribly run-down nature may be expensive but how hard could it be sweep, vacuum, mop, and generally tidy up? Apparently beyond the managers.

Lots of other choices in the area - pick one of them.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 February 2013

We booked blindly, online. Pics looked ok. We only needed a place to sleep on drive home from Disney.
Honestly, hands down, the WORST hotel stay I have ever had. Period.
This place is literally falling down. Had it not been 1:00 am when we arrived, I would have left.
NonSmoking room REEKED of smoke. I am currently washing ALL my daughters bedding. She refused to sleep with the hotel bedding, and the room was so smokey that her bedding still REEKS of smoke after 24 hours.
Bathroom had sliding door (weird?); falling off hinges. Shower didn't work. Shower head falling off wall. Furniture mismatched and falling apart. Coffee pot imbedded onto itself with rust and mold. Microwave had old food in it :-0 Alarm clock was going off when we got there. Microwave still had time on it for enclosed food. at 1:00 am. Bugs in fridge. DARK room. Had it not been so dark, at 1:00 am, we would have probably left. Refund or not. It's that bad. And no way I was eating breakfast. Denny's is up the street.
Foldout was unsleepable. Kids pulled mattress to floor and slept.
Elevator had no inspection certficate and felt like it was going to fall apart when going up. Nasty dirty. Leaves, mold, dust everywhere. This place was like a ghost town.
Horrid. Do NOT stay here. I can not stress that enough

Room Tip: STAY AWAY. Any positive reviews HAVE to be bogus. No way anyone liked staying here. No way.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AmyC419

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Well, the title describes my initial impression of this property. Looks as if it used to be a nice place, but as of late January 2013 it had fallen into disrepair. My room was a King suite. Big enough alright, but what I encountered you really don't want more of. the room stunk of old mold and smoke, in a no-smoking room. The furniture was old, nasty, and broken up. The chairs and sofa were stained badly, and the towel racks were coming off the wall. It looked like a good place for a gang rave. Someone had actually melted the rubber door stop, it was flowing down the wall.
the slider was not functional and that was your only source of fresh air.I wouldn't go near the in room coffe pot, and the sink was dirty. Need i say more? OK, I stay in alot of hotels this was 1 of only 2 in the last couple years, that I did not want to leave this rat hole room after dark! Yes the Outside was spooky as well.... The elevators were shabby smelly and dirty, with no current saftey sticker of course, and NONE of the vending machines were operational. I ordered in for dinner.
Needless to say I left the moment I woke up, and dared not take part in any breakfast offering here. Run the other way.
Was it cheap, yes, but that is no excuse for this disaster. I stayed in a quality inn in NC the night before, same price, and it was quite nice. Save for one thing...the bed was pretty comfortable, but it was like sleeping on a luxury raft in the middle of a cesspool.

Room Tip: Forget it.....
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank WE273

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Staff and management there to help without making you fell like you are disturbing them.
Great layout of the room .
Would recommend to friends.
Self serve hot or cold continental breakfast.
Comfortable large lobby.
We stayed an extra night.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Tired of driving, stopped here and found this hotel to be very reasonable for an average room. My wife and I slept well in a clean room with comfortable bed for a very reasonable rate. Seemed to have a lot of business people, contractor types staying here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

As of June 2014!! This property has been purchased by new owners and all previous issues have been handled and/or eliminated. We have done renovations and look forward to being given the opportunity to meet your lodging needs in the future. Please come back and check us out!