“Not Up to Marriot Standards -”

Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Ranked #52 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The rooms a noticeable smaller than any Marriot Courtyard we have ever stayed in. My biggest objection is that this property is located on the Mayo Campus catering to patience and families of the clinic and therefore should understand the needs of the families and patients. No one is there to be "close to the beach." There is not a coach or a comfortable chair to sit in the room as it simply is too small. Your choice is either the bed (poor quality pillows) or the chair at a desk. So....if I, the patient, was tossing and turning, my husband could sit upright at the desk all night. I would have happily moved to the coach or chair but it was not an option. I just had surgery and had to stay overnight. Not a good experience for reasons listed. There are too many other great property with competitive pricing in the area - no need to feel sick AND feel that you are being taken advantage off because of the great location. I think this is a serious money machine. I have no objection to "money machines" after all, they are in the business for profit however, this is not a fair trade for your hard earned dollars.

Room Tip: If you like Marriott - there any many other choices less then 10 minutes from the Mayo Campus. This...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Franci E
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

I am very sorry that your stay at the Courtyard was uncomfortable. We do everything we can to provide great service and a comfortable setting to all of our guests, whether they are here for Mayo Clinic or any other reason. We have a large variety of room types to accommodate all of the needs of our guests. Some of those rooms do not have a couch and some do not have a chair in them. I wish that you had notified the hotel of your needs because we could have moved you to a different room that met more of your needs or we could have brought you one of the reclining chairs we have available, upon reques,t for guests who cannot sleep laying down. We are in the business of servicing and taking care of our guests needs. We pride ourselves on rising to the occasion when a guest is not happy with their stay or have a special request. All we ask is that you let us know so that we can resolve the issue.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The room was clean, although there was no tub. We traveled with our kids so I wish I had known that. The grounds of the hotel looked very nice! There was a restaurant on site and room service. The internet was fast and reliable. The hotel was located close to lots of restaurants which was nice. The staff wasn't overly friendly, not that they were rude but we have had better service at other locations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mommyintheburbs
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I haven't stayed in a hotel this bad in many years. The price was outrageous, over $200/night with taxes. Clearly, the hotel is taking advantage of people requiring close access to the Mayo Clinic. The rooms are spartan and look like they haven't been refurbished in decades. The A/C drowned out the TV volume. My room was never cleaned. The maid showed up at 5:30 looking for reasons not to have to clean my room. The internet didn't work and it took hours to get a higher level of service that would have been merely adequate anywhere else. It took three tries for hotel staff to comp the added fee. The rooms were dirty and musty. The best one can say about this hotel is that it is very convenient to the Mayo Clinic. Otherwise, stay away, stay away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank babkah
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

I am very sorry you had such a bad experience at the hotel. I can assure you that this is not typical for a stay at our property. The Courtyard Mayo Clinic is not the most expensive hotel in the market and we are not the cheapest either. We feel we are fairly priced for the location, amenities and services the hotel provides. I am sorry that you felt the hotel needed refurbished. The hotel had a complete lobby and guestroom renovation at the end of 2010 beginning of 2011. This was the most extensive renovation the hotel had ever had. In addition to the renovation, we replaced all of the hotel mattresses in September of this year. I am sorry that your room was not cleaned at the time you would have preferred. Due to the schedule of the Mayo Clinic patients the housekeepers do work later than a typical hotel. We work very hard at balancing the need for late checkouts, guests arriving and guests staying over. Sometimes those factors cause challenges with rooms getting serviced when the guest would like them. I wish you had let us know about issue you were having because we could have easily scheduled the room to be serviced at a time to your convenience. I will look into the internet bandwith that you wrote about. We do have complimentary High Speed Internet in every room. We do not typically have issues with it and have had very few complaints about the speed. We did add and an upgraded version for guests who do more than just surf the internet. There is a small fee for this upgraded service. It seems by your review, that we allowed you to use the upgraded internet and adjusted the charge off for you due to the challenges that you were having.
Again, I am very sorry for the issues you had during your stay. We pride ourselves on the service we provide our guests and do not take it lightly when we do not deliver.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is a beautiful, quiet hotel. Even with children staying for a soccer event, it was very quiet. The staff are amazing and it is across the street from the Mayo Clinic, which has walking trails and wildlife to see. We had 4 little mallards that came to greet us every time we came over and what looked like a heron. It seems like a resort, You are only minutes away from great restaurants, the beach and anything else you would want or need. The only thing that I wish was a little bigger was the gym but now that I know that, I can bring my own training gear. Not a huge deal. The staff are very sweet and attentive. We will return since Jacksonville is a short drive away and we are there several times a year.

Room Tip: Downstairs is quiet and convenient
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michele T
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again!!!!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This was a very clean hotel next to the Mayo Clinic. Nice outdoor pool and pool area but closed at 10pm and we wanted to take a night dip and just sit by the pool. A little disappointed in that but very comfortable beds and we were super close to Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra. Will stay there again. The front desk clerk man was exceptionally helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travellover290

I appreciate the great review. I am sorry that you could not enjoy the pool after 10 pm. Due to the location of the pool, even the smallest noise can bother other guests when they are trying to sleep. So we have to close it at that time. We do keep the spa open until 11 pm. I hope when you are in town again you stay with us.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This was our first time and we are going to make this our hotel whenever we are in Jacksonville while my children are at UNF. Very clean. Rooms have been redone. Staff very friendly and just minutes from UNF. The a/c is great. I love a cold room and the temperature stays very cold. Also close to Target,, Home Depot and Walmart

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We picked this hotel because of having an appointment at the Mayo Clinic. But I would gladly stay there again. It is a beautiful hotel with a contemporary New York flair. Check in was very fast and no hassles. The room was gorgeous with rotating flat screen, double desk and lots of table tops so luggage or personal items never need to touch the floor. The bathroom had sample Paul Mitchell products. The beds and bedding were top notch! Very comfortable pillows! The parking lot was right outside our window but we never heard anything. The restaurant called the Bistro was very good. We had oatmeal, cook to order eggs, bacon, fried potatoes and Starbucks coffee. Also available in the lobby was free coffee with flavored creamers. It rained the entire time we were there so we didn't get to enjoy the pool but it looked in top condition. The grounds around the pool area were beautiful! Our two nights there were hassle free!

Room Tip: Our room was in the back (#147) and it was very quiet!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nancy N
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed the amenities that we have to offer and the Bistro. Let's hope the next time you visit it will not be raining so you can enjoy the pool.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
#63 of 134 in Jacksonville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Jacksonville Deerwood Park
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville South-St. Johns Town Center Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites Jacksonville Butler Blvd

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!