“Last time we'll stay here”

Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Ranked #52 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 6 February 2014

It would be hard to find a better location if you're visiting the Mayo Clinic. However, the great location doesn't make up for the condition of this hotel. My husband is a Platinum member at Marriott and we've seen the range of accommodations. This was near the bottom. The floor was not well vacuumed -- we picked up wrappers, pieces of paper, and fibers. The desk had been used as a table -- and not cleaned afterwards. The bed seemed to have a moisture barrier mattress pad -- the crackling contributed to a poor night's sleep. The mattress was far too firm for comfort, the room badly soundproofed, and the furniture was below standard.

We had reserved for 2 nights, and left after one. Next trip to the Mayo, we'll probably choose to drive a bit further and have a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris S
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to fill out a review on the hotel. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. I want to apologize for the condition of the room when you checked in. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and we did not provide you with a room that lived up to our own expectations. I am not sure about the moisture barrier that you are talking about. We do not use anything like that in the hotel and our mattress pads are the Marriott standard. The mattresses are a Serta pillow top mattress and were installed in 2013. I am very sorry that you left after only one night. I wish you had let us know your dissatisfaction and we would have done everything we can to correct the situation so you would have a good night’s sleep. I hope that you will try us again when coming to Jacksonville.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel was set up right across from the Davis Building where most of my consultations were. The hotel and Staff were amazing, it was very clean, and everyone was very helpful. I ended up having to be there all week because of this or that. One day i wasn't feeling well and the house keeping staff noticed right away and arranged for me to have room service brought for lunch and cleaned the room without bothering me. She even came at the end of her shift to see how I was feeling. Everyone there went above and beyond what they had to during my stay. The food in the Bistro was put togeather for what the doctors at mayo may want you to eat. However they also have other choices as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank serggo6

Thank you for the great review. I will share your comments with the housekeeping staff. They enjoy being recognized for their great service.

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

On the plus side for Mayo Clinic patients is this Mariott's location which is right across the street. The check in lady was gracious and friendly and the other staff we encountered was courteous. I would like to especially acknowledge one of the cleaning staff's kind gestures. My wife, the patient, did not feel well the morning after we arrived so we asked that our room not be cleaned, however, we needed to empty the trash and get clean towels. The two ladys who were assigned to our floor could not have been more compassionate and took the trash, gave us clean towels , and extra coffee for the coffee maker. So, 5 stars for the cleaning staff.
We needed water to keep my wife hydrated and went to the combination coffee/cocktail/food bar/bistro where we saw water in the counter refrigerator. The lady at that place said. 'I'm closed, you'll need to go to the Market Store which is located on the opposite side of the cafe seating area. At the market store we paid $2.57 for a bottle of water that at an airport rarely costs more than $1.50 or at the grocery store, maybe $.79. I paid $2.17 for a 2 oz pack of peanuts that I fed to the little squirrel outside.
While the interior is clean the choice of interior design colors and materials make it look far more dated than their 3 or so year old renovation. I'm sorry but their interior designer has for me put this Courtyard at the top of the most ugly list. That's a shame considering its outstanding location.
The rooms are quiet, but the lack of any between room or floor sound dampening material allowed us to hear what others were listening to on TV and other personal noises.
As others have mentioned the location is near some very nice reasonably priced restaurants. At one barbecue restaurant, Shane's Rib Shack two of us had delicious take out meals for a total of less than $20.00. I'm mentioning this because it's an easy drive to have your choice of dining. I can't comment on the food at the Mariott because we chose not to pay for breakfast (we had been at a nearby hotel for several days prior to moving here where breakfast including water was free and delicious) or their prices for food after our water/peanut purchases .
We are loyal Mariott Rewards members and seek out Courtyard by Mariott because their service and quality are generally exceptional.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackfred
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on the hotel. I am very glad that you were able to experience the great service that our hotel staff can provide. We pride ourselves on going above and beyond for our guests. I am very sorry that you feel the Bistro and Market are overpriced. We conduct surveys or our competitor hotels and local markets to make sure we are priced properly. I will be the first to admit that we are not the lowest priced in the market but we certainly are not the highest price. Some hotels we have surveyed charge over $3.00 and up for a bottle of water. Courtyard by Marriott appreciates your loyalty and we hope that when you are in Jacksonville again you will choose to stay with us.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We are loyal Marriott guests. Considering the proximity to a hospital, we were disappointed with housekeeping. Sink had no sparkle, looked as though someone had wiped it down but didn't use any cleaning fluids. The toilet water line was visible with a grey ring - a little cleaning liquid would quickly eliminate that. On the positive side, the beds were very comfortable and the room was very quiet. The lady who checked us out was personable and friendly. The front desk staff should all take training from her! Front desk at check in was disappointing and our encounter during the day at the front desk when we asked a question of another gentleman was equally disappointing. Gentleman seemed too busy to look up at us, even tho we waited our turn on line to ask our question. No greeting, no eye contact. Efficient but not friendly or courteous, which would be nice considering most guests at this location would appreciate a smile.The location is the reason to stay here. Very short walk to the clinic.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PatriciaJohn
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered while staying at the hotel. I wish we could find a cleaning product that could get the ring out of the toilet. We have tried every product that we can and have even had a representative from the chemical company come to the hotel to try to fix the problem. We have been unable to find a solution. Since we have been having this issue and the toilets use over 3.5 gallons every flush, we have been replacing them with low use water toilets. We have replaced over 70 of the 146 toilets we have. We will finish the remainder this year. I will share your comments about the sink with the housekeeper who cleaned your room, so that this will not happen again.
We pride ourselves on delivering great personalized service to our guests. I personally conduct service observations of the staff on a routine basis. I have not observed the person who checked you in acting in this manner. I am going to share your comments with him and increase the number of observations I conduct on him. I expect this will prevent this from happening again.
Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I don’t know what hotel some of these people were reviewing. I was actually afraid to stay here at first based on some reviews but I thought I would take a chance because it was convenient to my treatment at Mayo Clinic and I am so glad I did! This hotel is clean, modern, well appointed (and I am picky). They have balconies off the rooms. Ours overlooked a courtyard with the pool. They have an indoor whirlpool which was relaxing and great since it was cold outside when we were there. It also has towels there and handicap access. The bathroom area has the sink area separate so you can get ready while someone is showering etc. Obviously this hotel is for the people who are either going to or have family at Mayo Clinic and I thought it was very quiet and peaceful. We had a mini refrigerator in the room (hidden under the counter in case you are looking). The beds were great and very comfortable and when we asked for more pillows they offered us soft or firm! The maid was so kind to us and made sure we had everything we needed. The desk staff was also really nice and gave us directions as well as great suggestions for restaurants. (Vinny’s if you like Italian and for fresh seafood North Beach Fish Camp in Neptune Beach which was amazing and I can’t wait to go back there!) They have a great restaurant in the lobby area as well if you don’t want to/or can’t leave the hotel where you can get healthy options and I thought the food was very good and a great selection (the breakfast BLT was awesome). And at night it turns into a bar as well! As for the woman who complained they didn’t have a bathtub, they actually DO have rooms with bathtubs and I was offered the option of the bathtub or a stall shower. So if you aren’t offered the option and need one do ask and I am sure you can be accommodated. The other thing that was just fabulous for me was being literally across the street from the main building (Davis building…where registration is) and it is a pleasant walk…very safe and peaceful. They do have a shuttle for free which you just request at the front desk and I did use that once before I knew where I was going but it was so close I walked back and walked to all my appointments from then on! There are some nice gardens right in front of the Davis building…right across from the hotel as well where we took a lovely walk. It was so convenient to my appointments and I could come and go and come back to rest between tests and procedures which was great! My husband also didn’t have to tag along to everything which was nice for him. If I had one complaint about this hotel it would be the cost. I stayed on points which was great but now I have to return and simply can’t afford to stay there so we will be staying off campus somewhere cheaper but if you have the money then this is a great option. If you book early you get better rates but ironically I am not getting my apts well enough in advance for that. I also see weekends seem to be more reasonable but alas I was there mid week which is the more expensive time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollyA
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

I wanted to thank you for such a great and detailed review. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the wonderful services the hotel has to offer along with the great customer service of the staff.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The rooms a noticeable smaller than any Marriot Courtyard we have ever stayed in. My biggest objection is that this property is located on the Mayo Campus catering to patience and families of the clinic and therefore should understand the needs of the families and patients. No one is there to be "close to the beach." There is not a coach or a comfortable chair to sit in the room as it simply is too small. Your choice is either the bed (poor quality pillows) or the chair at a desk. So....if I, the patient, was tossing and turning, my husband could sit upright at the desk all night. I would have happily moved to the coach or chair but it was not an option. I just had surgery and had to stay overnight. Not a good experience for reasons listed. There are too many other great property with competitive pricing in the area - no need to feel sick AND feel that you are being taken advantage off because of the great location. I think this is a serious money machine. I have no objection to "money machines" after all, they are in the business for profit however, this is not a fair trade for your hard earned dollars.

Room Tip: If you like Marriott - there any many other choices less then 10 minutes from the Mayo Campus. This...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Franci E
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

I am very sorry that your stay at the Courtyard was uncomfortable. We do everything we can to provide great service and a comfortable setting to all of our guests, whether they are here for Mayo Clinic or any other reason. We have a large variety of room types to accommodate all of the needs of our guests. Some of those rooms do not have a couch and some do not have a chair in them. I wish that you had notified the hotel of your needs because we could have moved you to a different room that met more of your needs or we could have brought you one of the reclining chairs we have available, upon reques,t for guests who cannot sleep laying down. We are in the business of servicing and taking care of our guests needs. We pride ourselves on rising to the occasion when a guest is not happy with their stay or have a special request. All we ask is that you let us know so that we can resolve the issue.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The room was clean, although there was no tub. We traveled with our kids so I wish I had known that. The grounds of the hotel looked very nice! There was a restaurant on site and room service. The internet was fast and reliable. The hotel was located close to lots of restaurants which was nice. The staff wasn't overly friendly, not that they were rude but we have had better service at other locations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mommyintheburbs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
#66 of 133 in Jacksonville
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville - SE Med Center Area
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hotel Indigo Jacksonville Deerwood Park

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!