“The Best Hotel Courtyard at Mayo”

Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches
Ranked #43 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Edgewater, Florida
“The Best Hotel Courtyard at Mayo”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Robin had to undergo 2 major surgeries at Mayo requiring many stays at the Courtyard Oct to date - the staff and Mgr, David Mason make every stay like "coming home" The compassion and service are tops.

Room Tip: Robin is disabled so we choose a handicap room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Connie N
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I will share your review with the staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 March 2014

"Look. I travel for a living and am at a Marriott 4 nights a week or so and this was one of the best meals I have ever had in 15 years of being a Platinum Marriott member. Not just the meal but everybody that I interacted with at this hotel had a different but uniquely positive vibe. Every other Marriott should take note. Kim rocked. Platinum number 887415180."

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I am glad you enjoyed your meal so much. Kim does rock and I have shared your comments with her. I appreciate you taking the time to write the review.
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I received a reminder of my stay with this Marriott seven days prior to our arrival date. I chose this hotel because I was taking my mother to the Mayo Clinic, and it was convenient to be able to walk directly across the path to Mayo. In the reminder e-mail, the Hotel never mentioned that during our stay, we would have to hear jack-hammering during the days. So every morning we would get up early, go to Mayo, come back during our breaks only to hear loud noise and smell dust. (although they did put up plastic) My mother, already not feeling well, tired from early appointments and needing rest for the next appointment and I emotionally drained, did not appreciate paying for such lack of concern for our stay here. If I had been informed in the e-mail, that was sent out the week before our arrival, that we would have to listen to this, I can assure you, I would have made other lodging arrangements. I am very disappointed in Marriott for having such lack of concern for their customers, especially since they are aware that the people saying at this particular facility are all here for one reason; and that is to be seen at the Mayo Clinic. If an e-mail was being sent out anyway, the Hotel should have notified each customer of the inconvenience of the remodeling or made monetary concessions for those who had to be in such close proximity to Mayo.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CSS129
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
I am very sorry for noisy and inconveniences the jack hammering has caused you and your mother. I wanted to let you know that the hotel is not remodeling the lobby, we have had pipe under the lobby floor break. We were not able to notify you because we were not expecting the pipe to break. We were expecting the break to be a small repair that would have been fixed over the weekend. So this would not have affected your stay. Once the floor was opened we found that it was a much larger issue that was going to required much more time and demolition. When we realized this we closed of a section of the lobby so that the restaurant and front desk areas were not impacted. This allowed us to be able to serve Breakfast and Dinner to our guests. We also moved the lobby computers and created a working/ relaxation space for our guest in one of the meeting rooms. In addition we have only allowed the plumbers to jack hammer from 11am to 4 pm daily. It has taken us two days to complete the jack hammering and it is now complete. We will repair the pipe and put the lobby back into order. We do understand the needs of our guest who are going to Mayo Clinic. But when an emergency repair happens we have to fix the issue. We did notify everyone as they checked in that we would be jack hammering during the hours of 11 am to 4 pm. We would have gladly helped you obtain other accommodations had you voiced your concern at that time or we would have helped you move to the other hotel on Mayo campus had you let us know this was affecting you and your mother so adversely. I am truly sorry that you have had to endure this repair but I can assure you that if it was something we had planned for we would have notified every guest.
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel for two reasons. First being proximity to Mayo but second it had the Courtyard name. The proximity was perfect but we paid a little more and case I didn't feel that we received much value for our stay. The room was average at best. The toilet float didn't work, I actually had to remove the lid to reset it. Then when I brushed my teeth the sink drain was stopped up holding water. Just not what I would expect from a Marriott family hotel. Should we have to make another overnight stay in the area I do not believe we would stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ahparker24
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel. I am very sorry that you had plumbing issues while at the hotel. We have a preventive maintenance program in place at the hotel to prevent these issues but this does not always prevent every issue. I am also sorry that you do not feel we are a good value for the money. Our hotel has a lot of amenities that the other hotels in the area do not offer. We have a restaurant that serves 3 meal a day during the week, swe have van transportation to Mayo Clinic, we have an indoor spa for our guests relaxation. I hope that if you are in the area again you do give us another try.
Reviewed 6 February 2014

It would be hard to find a better location if you're visiting the Mayo Clinic. However, the great location doesn't make up for the condition of this hotel. My husband is a Platinum member at Marriott and we've seen the range of accommodations. This was near the bottom. The floor was not well vacuumed -- we picked up wrappers, pieces of paper, and fibers. The desk had been used as a table -- and not cleaned afterwards. The bed seemed to have a moisture barrier mattress pad -- the crackling contributed to a poor night's sleep. The mattress was far too firm for comfort, the room badly soundproofed, and the furniture was below standard.

We had reserved for 2 nights, and left after one. Next trip to the Mayo, we'll probably choose to drive a bit further and have a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris S
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to fill out a review on the hotel. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. I want to apologize for the condition of the room when you checked in. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and we did not provide you with a room that lived up to our own expectations. I am not sure about the moisture barrier that you are talking about. We do not use anything like that in the hotel and our mattress pads are the Marriott standard. The mattresses are a Serta pillow top mattress and were installed in 2013. I am very sorry that you left after only one night. I wish you had let us know your dissatisfaction and we would have done everything we can to correct the situation so you would have a good night’s sleep. I hope that you will try us again when coming to Jacksonville.
Melbourne, Fl
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The hotel was set up right across from the Davis Building where most of my consultations were. The hotel and Staff were amazing, it was very clean, and everyone was very helpful. I ended up having to be there all week because of this or that. One day i wasn't feeling well and the house keeping staff noticed right away and arranged for me to have room service brought for lunch and cleaned the room without bothering me. She even came at the end of her shift to see how I was feeling. Everyone there went above and beyond what they had to during my stay. The food in the Bistro was put togeather for what the doctors at mayo may want you to eat. However they also have other choices as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank serggo6
Thank you for the great review. I will share your comments with the housekeeping staff. They enjoy being recognized for their great service.
Ashland, Virginia
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

On the plus side for Mayo Clinic patients is this Mariott's location which is right across the street. The check in lady was gracious and friendly and the other staff we encountered was courteous. I would like to especially acknowledge one of the cleaning staff's kind gestures. My wife, the patient, did not feel well the morning after we arrived so we asked that our room not be cleaned, however, we needed to empty the trash and get clean towels. The two ladys who were assigned to our floor could not have been more compassionate and took the trash, gave us clean towels , and extra coffee for the coffee maker. So, 5 stars for the cleaning staff.
We needed water to keep my wife hydrated and went to the combination coffee/cocktail/food bar/bistro where we saw water in the counter refrigerator. The lady at that place said. 'I'm closed, you'll need to go to the Market Store which is located on the opposite side of the cafe seating area. At the market store we paid $2.57 for a bottle of water that at an airport rarely costs more than $1.50 or at the grocery store, maybe $.79. I paid $2.17 for a 2 oz pack of peanuts that I fed to the little squirrel outside.
While the interior is clean the choice of interior design colors and materials make it look far more dated than their 3 or so year old renovation. I'm sorry but their interior designer has for me put this Courtyard at the top of the most ugly list. That's a shame considering its outstanding location.
The rooms are quiet, but the lack of any between room or floor sound dampening material allowed us to hear what others were listening to on TV and other personal noises.
As others have mentioned the location is near some very nice reasonably priced restaurants. At one barbecue restaurant, Shane's Rib Shack two of us had delicious take out meals for a total of less than $20.00. I'm mentioning this because it's an easy drive to have your choice of dining. I can't comment on the food at the Mariott because we chose not to pay for breakfast (we had been at a nearby hotel for several days prior to moving here where breakfast including water was free and delicious) or their prices for food after our water/peanut purchases .
We are loyal Mariott Rewards members and seek out Courtyard by Mariott because their service and quality are generally exceptional.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackfred
CourtyardGM14, General Manager at Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on the hotel. I am very glad that you were able to experience the great service that our hotel staff can provide. We pride ourselves on going above and beyond for our guests. I am very sorry that you feel the Bistro and Market are overpriced. We conduct surveys or our competitor hotels and local markets to make sure we are priced properly. I will be the first to admit that we are not the lowest priced in the market but we certainly are not the highest price. Some hotels we have surveyed charge over $3.00 and up for a bottle of water. Courtyard by Marriott appreciates your loyalty and we hope that when you are in Jacksonville again you will choose to stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
The Inn at Mayo Clinic
#62 of 132 in Jacksonville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville - SE Med Center Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Beach Boulevard/Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonville Beach
Holiday Inn Express - Jacksonvil...
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach

Been to Courtyard Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches? Share your experiences!