“Do Not Stay Here for Business - too many better alternatives in the area”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #84 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Boston, Massachusetts
“Do Not Stay Here for Business - too many better alternatives in the area”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Arrived midnight in the rain. The "residents" of the first two rooms next to the front entrance we out in the walkway enjoying the evening with coolers and radios.

The lobby had a damp musk oder - should have known then to seek an alternative venue.

The room key did not work the first time. Back to the office to get a replacement. When I entered my room I was greeted with a smoke aroma. I was too tired to chage rooms and figured they would be similar. The room had not been cleaned in a while - some dirt was on the rug and what I thought was a bug on the bathroom floor ... was actually a dead bug. The air conditioner was loud and made a clicking sound when going on periodically. Old mattress / small pillows. Tough sleeping enviornment.

In the morning I discovered that iron was provided and the coffee pot had dried residue from the last time it was used. There was warm watter for the shower but no hot water. Not a great start to the day.

When I checked out, I brought the dirty coffee pot to the front desk to check and asked when the last time the room was cleaned. "Very recently" I was told. I showed the front desk person the dirty coffee pot and he did not say a word. Not "so sorry" / "can't imagine how that happened" / "we will make sure it won't happen again" - no comment.

When I got to my appointment, my customer was amused / sympathetic / curious over my choice of lodging. Too many better places at similar rates to stay there

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Boot63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Check in went swiftly. Room was clean and fresh smelling. The cabinet in which the refrigerator stood seems like it was ready to fall apart. It was accessible to shopping center and I-95. We do not know what amenities it has since we use the hotel to change clothes and sleep. Everything seems good except the breakfast, which was very limited. Day one of 4 days 3 nights the juice machine was out of order and stayed out of order. The only fruits were oranges and apples.
Overall, the stay was good. Nothing outstanding. The only complain is the meager breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2011

This is an OLD worn out property. I was traveling out of JAX airport and needed a place nearby to grab 5-6 hours of sleep before departing. I tried this Days in because of the other reviews and the fact they are now managed by Wyndam. If anything this lowers the vaule of the Wyndam brand by having an affiliation with this hotel. Broken towel bar was hanging off the wall in bathroom, toilet wouldnt flush, the smoke detector (if it worked?) was hanging off the wall, the TV didnt work. On the plus side the beds were more comfortable than expected and the room was fundamentally clean, but the broken and worn items in the room outweighed the cleanliness. The micro fridge would be handy. I asked to have the Manager contact me after I checked out and he never called. I am shocked this hotel received the comments it has in other reviews. I would have moved to another hotel, but it was 1 am and I was beat.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 22 December 2010

My husband and I had serious family business to handle that took much more time than we expected. We stayed for eight days and were treated royally by all the staff. The room was clean and fresh. Our questions were answered, directions given, suggestions made and were made to feel that the staff really cared.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
pennsylvinna
Reviewed 5 January 2010

This hotel is a party hotel,the rooms smelled like urine, there was bm on the comforter and the toilet paper dispencer.The three rooms we looked at were all filthy!!! I wouldn't let my dog stay there and they have the nerve to say no pets!!!The furniture was worn out.I was afraid to touch the light switches they were so nasty,all the walls were dirty,they need paint bad.To be very honest they need to close down and remodel.My husband over heard the cleaning staff state" they weren't paid enough to clean these nasty rooms.To be honest they need to hire people who know how to clean and pay them enough to keep them. Not happy with my stay at all very very nasty .we stayed one night and got out of that nasty place and found a very nice clean place to stay

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank losttrucker
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Needing a place to stop for the night, we pulled in (no reservation). Had I read the reviews, I would have kept going, but it just proves what they say about opinions.......
The front desk people were nice and helpful, rate was $50, nice exterior, room OK, funky smell but clean, bed comfortable, carpet worn, continental breakfast the norm, next door to off site airport parking garage but no noise. The experience was about what I expected; not the Ritz but OK for one night.

• Liked — Location, price, front desk staff
  • Disliked — Room carpet worn, overall somewhat dated
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank goneagain2
effort pa
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I mistakenly booked this room through Expedia I thought I was picking another hotel we previously stayed at. Expedia told me I was out of luck so here we are. I generally understand you get what you pay for but this hotel should be $19.99 a night.

When I arrived I new I was in trouble the guy at the desk was nice but it didn’t ease the anguish. The continental breakfast area had three tiny tables and a counter the size you would see in a residential kitchen. I guess you can buy oatmeal and a box of donuts from the local store and call that a continental breakfast. Besides the room smelling bad and the furniture you would see at a garage sale, not available in the room was shampoo and conditioner, iron and ironing board and a plastic laundry bag. When I grabbed the remote for the TV I had to laugh they had tape on the battery compartment.

Oh by the way I’m in the hotel writing this review on the bathroom counter using Travel Lodges wireless signal the Days Inn wireless signal is so weak I can’t connect. WARNING do not stay here. I was going to take pictures of the room but was to lazy if you don't believe me I invite you to come stay at the Jacksonville Airport Days Inn!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — quaility
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)