“Excellent hotel for the price”

Red Lion Hotel Jacksonville
Ranked #89 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Vaughan, Canada
“Excellent hotel for the price”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed here during the 2013 Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass.This is a 3 star hotel that offers free parking and free Wi-Fi. It also offers an outdoor pool and hot tub and a small workout facility. There is also a lounge/bar and restaurant. There is free coffee in your room. The staff is good and we’re very accommodating. The rooms have microwaves, refrigerators and small safes for valuables. They have sleep number beds that took a couple nights to get right, our number was 65. Other standards included coffee maker, iron and board, and toiletries. When we arrived there were no King beds available so they put us in a double for the night and then moved us in the morning. The Wi-Fi in 331 was horrible but when they moved up to 613 it was much better. Overall this was an excellent hotel for $60 a night and would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 May 2013

It is a 3 star hotel with free parking and free Wi-Fi. It has an outdoor pool and hot tub and a small workout facility. There is also a lounge/bar and restaurant. There is free coffee in the morning in the lobby. The staff was excellent! The rooms had microwaves and refrigerators and small safes for valuables. They have sleep number beds at the Radisson’s. Other standard amenities included coffee maker, iron and board, and toiletries. USA Today paper is delivered to your door daily. It was a little close to Interstate 95 and therefore a little noisy from the road. I would stay there again at $55 a night. It is about 5 to 8 miles from good shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff about room needs... very accommodating.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Bartow, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed here twice within a month (April/May 2013). Both times in a king room - which had a sleeper sofa in addition to the bed. Both times we stayed in rooms acquired by Priceline and were treated very well by the staff at the hotel. The 2nd time we stayed, there was a sports group (high school) of boys who thought it would be cool to smoke in their (non-smoking hotel) rooms and be loud & obnoxious (throwing ice water in the hallway on each other near other guests). The smoke from their room came through the ventilation system into our room which was very annoying and made it very uncomfortable for us. We notified the staff at the front desk and within the hour the air in our room started clearing. They were very apologetic and did all they could to deal with the offending students. (We've traveled with high school and college students for over 30 years and know how to prepare them for being guests in hotels while traveling as part of a group. We never saw their chaperones or anyone who should have been responsible for this.) Other than that and a couple of light bulbs which were out, the rooms were clean and very comfortable. The beds are 'sleep number' beds which were interesting and comfortable enough. We had contemplated obtaining sleep number beds for our home, but I think they aren't for us. We'd definitely stay in this Radisson again and can recommend it for comfort, location, cleanliness, and staff.

Room Tip: Some rooms near the elevator (center) are smaller.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I went to Jacksonville for a weekend pleasure trip and decided to stay at this hotel as all the rooms have sleep number beds. We have a favorite hotel in the area but for this trip we decided to stay at this hotel as we had been thinking of buying a sleep number bed and our 3 night stay at this hotel was the perfect way to try out the bed before purchasing one. We booked our stay for the last weekend in October 2012 which also happened to be the Florida/Georgia game weekend, oops our mistake. So the hotel was full and in fact was busting at the seams 2 of the 3 nights, the Friday and Saturday, during our stay. But hey the mistake on our part of booking a pleasure stay on one of the most busy weekends of the year gives us a good opportunity to provide a review of this hotel during a super busy time.

I have to say that the rooms are very nice, clean and were actually pretty quiet given that the hotel was beyond full. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful even though they were super busy. We did not try out the bar as it was just to full of party hardy football fans.

The hotel lobby was kept very clean even with the high number of guests and the front desk staff managed to keep a smile on their faces. We had to call down for extra towels and they were delivered quite fast given how full the hotel was.

The location of the hotel is excellent and close to many local companies. There are restaurants close by. The sleep number bed was o.k. but neither my husband nor I loved it enough to buy one. So for us the weekend at this hotel was a success. Nice hotel and we were able to try out a sleep number bed before buying one.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 April 2013

A little hesitant to book after reading some of the reviews, but I have to tell you, I am now a big Radisson fan. I arrived early, real early from Tallahassee for a mtg in JAX (like 10:30am early) ans was accommodated by the front desk staff without hesitation. They gave me a corner room, king size bed even though I had booked through hotwire for an unbelievably cheap rate! Hotel is very nice, sleep number beds, good desk with outlets for work, clean as a whistle. Great location off 95 (but you'd never know it) because of all the mature trees, nice sized pool, friendly staff........I'll be back.

Room Tip: even tho some have said get a room away from I-95, my corner room faces I-95 on the 2nd floor and I...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed in this hotel "courtesy of hotwire's pick" When hotwire sent me the review email I did review the hotel and express my concerns. To my "surprise" hotwire didn't even post the review OR reply to me in any way. I paid around $76 for this hotel i believe. I wasn't too worried about getting a bad hotel for 3 and a half stars so I went ahead and chose to get a deal and let hotwire pick the hotel. ILL PAY FULL PRICE NEXT TIME! For starters, when i walked into the hotel the manager on duty was on the phone "b*tching someone out" about how he knows she needs to go to the store so he needs to get there asap. While she was in the process of yacking at him she held her hand up kind of shushing me. I was waiting patiently as even if im dissatisfied I'm always polite. AFTER I GOT CHECKED IN, I started walking down the hall and noticed disgusting carpet, stains, and a stench in the hallway all the way down to the room. I stayed 3 days with my 2 year old. I was so disgusted by the hallways/walls/carpets I didn't even want my kid touching things. The room was nice. I cannot complain about the room, the bed was comfortable and everything seemed to work well. As a previous review stated the thermostat in the room was pretty far off but it was cooler outside so i didn't need the a/c or heat really. There was enough blankets for us. The shower however when I walked in there was someone elses razor in there. (EEW) So i went to cvs and bought cleaners to clean it myself as it obviously hadn't been cleaned. Atleast I could do that myself. The outside of the room is what i have no control over. I wouldn't be so upset if i didn't get stuck with this room for 3 nights with a toddler expecting 3.5 stars NO.. I would give this hotel 2 at best. The restaurant downstairs, we were the only people in the restaurant at 9am one morning and it took us an hour to get a coke and bagel omelet. The reason I'm so disappointed is because I go to jacksonville alot to visit my sister.. Now I have to pay full price for a hotel EVERY TIME because I can't trust hotwire to not pick the one disgusting hotel on the list of 5 possibilities.. I'm not so disappointed in the hotel as i am in hotwire.. I was really excited about maybe getting a deal but ill come out of pocket for the guaranteed comfort next time. THUMBS DOWN HOTWIRE!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tracietacire
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Red Lion Hotel Jacksonville, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best “Yes I Can!” service. In addition, we are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. To discuss your concern further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Jason Simballa, General Manager.
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The staff at the hotel was great. They were attentive and professional. When we made a request of the front desk or ordered room service, we received a follow-up call checking to ensure everything was okay. There were a few problems, including no open electrical outlets near the nightstands, the shower made a screaming sound when in use, and the light fixtures in the bathroom had something on them that needed to be cleaned.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family