“Good Stay, but only cuz of the $”

Red Lion Hotel Jacksonville
Ranked #88 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Atlanta
“Good Stay, but only cuz of the $”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

Considering the price that I got via this website on Expedia for this hotel, I would say that it was a pretty good stay. Very modern decor in the rooms, thus aesthetically pleasing to me. This is very important to me when I stay at a hotel. Can't wake up in ugliness or antiquated surroundings. With the exception of some other person's strand of hair on the bed and dirty pillows, the room seemed to be clean. After the hotel staff change the pillows, this wasn't an issue anymore. The amoire was kinda busted up on the side, but hopefully they fixed it when I left. The sleep number bed was way over rated. In fact it's little more than a blow up bed inside of a casing. Killed my neck so I didn't have a good night sleep. Also, in the bathroom through the vent, without any conscious effort, you can hear people talking, using the rest room or doing things that people do in the night so that was a bit annoying. Probably wondering why I gave it a 4 star huh? Well because the room was decorated lovely(this is a biggey for me!), they have a nice heated pool, and the price was right for me. Overall,it was pretty good for the money compared to other hotels in the area.

• Liked — The price, decor of room and property as well as the amenities
  • Disliked — The bed, bathroom vent, and thin windows that allow for outside noise to disturb guest
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Turkish first
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

This hotel is nice. Very clean, very modern decor. All the beds are sleep number beds which is pretty cool, but since I only spent one night here I couldn't figure out which setting was best for me. I slept well but I woke up and my lower back was killing me. We did order room service and they were very quick and the food was very good. Microwave, fridge, and free wireless internet in the room is also a big plus.

Only a couple of complaints. In the bathroom you can hear almost everything going on in the bathroom next door through the vent, hence they can hear everything going on in your bathroom. Also we were staying on the second floor and had to go to the fourth floor to get ice, I don't know if this was a remodeling issue (they were in the middle of remodeling when we were there).

• Liked — Room design
  • Disliked — Hearing bathroom next door
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jrbruen
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2008

Great Hotel,close to the Mayo clinic.
Front Desk Staff was excellent,Housekeeping needs some work.
Sleep Comfort Beds were awesome.

Stayed May 2008
Uckfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

Well – it’s a Radisson on a freeway outside of Jacksonville. Nothing really that special but its clean, well appointed and good staff. Would stay here again if I was travelling through.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2008

The Jacksonville Butler Boulevard is a great value hotel. It is a bit confusing to find if you are not well versed in the interesting roadway intersections nearby but once on the property you won't be disappointed. The landscape is well kept and the porte cochere adds to the upscale feeling for the hotel. The decor immediately inside the door is elegant and refined. Why management clutters it up with marketing displays and unnecessary announcement boards is beyond me. The front desk staff is friendly and purposeful about your time in front of them and are more concerned with speed than chit chat, which can cut both ways. Personally, I like the limited chit chat to get in the door to my room sooner on checkin. I have asked for and received a room on the southeast quadrant of the building, which is away from the outdoor pool, outside mechanical and nearby highway. It is like sleeping in a crypt and I love it.

The room is obviously a very quiet room. I am still torn on the sleep number beds. I like them for the adjustability, but they have these awkward side panels so that when you sit on the edge of them the side panels fold under your weight. Picky? Perhaps, but I do like sleeping on them, just not sitting on the edge of the bed. The room is nicely appointed with a comfortable chair and side table. Rather than a luggage rack, there is a rectangular padded bench that I typically drag over to the chair for use as a great longish ottoman. The closet is spacious and has a coded safe, should you need to secure your goods. The TV is a typical credenza size with the typical smattering of news, features and sports. There is a coffee maker that looks well stocked, but I didn't use it. The lighting in the room is minimal, without the intuitive switches. They opted for indirect lighting throughout the main room with a direct light in the entry. Windows are wide and the blackout curtains are among the best at doing their job. The pillows (two to a bed, with no extras in the closet) are comfortable. There are two decorative sham pillows per bed to complement the decor and provide a nice backstop when reading in bed.

The bath is well appointed, although one could heat a small country with the over the sink lighting. The tile is just starting to show the age with a bit of grout mold here and there, and stains showing at the drip lines on the tub tops. Hard to notice a clean tub when the grout needs a little work. It's too bad because had it been a good install to begin with, there wouldn't be this problem. Don't let this overshadow the fantastic hot water and bath soap Radisson allows you here. Endless hot showers are sometimes needed and this hotel can make that happen without interruption.

The cleanliness of the room was very good. The areas you will touch and see get cleaned, while everything else is fair game perhaps monthly or less. Not a bad thing and perfectly average for this calibre of hotel. Clean I can see is clean to me for a short stay. For an extended stay I'd have made a call to spruce it up a bit more.

I had tried the in house restaurant on a previous trip and it unfortunately was a bit off. Doesnt mean it is bad or not recommended, just that I prefer waitstaff and cooks that are well practiced in their chosen jobs. This is not a eatery in a hotel, but a hotel without convenient meal service nearby, thus an eatery offered. An afterthought of sorts. Considering your other choice is the nearby Dave & Busters, well now there is a quandry.

The overall experience here is above average for my expectations, despite the odd quirk here or there. I'd recommend it, have stayed here before and will stay again. The quantity and quality here are known and consistent.

• Liked — quiet room
  • Disliked — lack of direct overhead lighting, but that is being really picky...
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2008

My visit was on the wekeend of Feb 29-March 2. From the moment we entered the hotel, we knew that we were in for a luxurious stay. The employees were wonderful and FRIENDLY. When we arrived in the room, it was very fresh and clean. The bed was very soft and plush and you could set the sleep number however you liked. The bathroom was very luxurious compared to surrounding hotels, and very nice. We barely went out because we were new to Jacksonville and there was not much to do other than to visit the Landing. The next morning we went to breakfast (I highly recommend the Bed & Breakfast package), the presentation of the room and the food totally blew us away. You were seated restaurant style then constantly served drinks (non-alcoholic) by a bartender/sever. You were able to go op and get the food of your choice and also have a chef prepare you eggs or whatever else you may like. Check in & out was easy. I would rate this place a 5 star.

Stayed March 2008
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2008

We checked in there for 2 nites on Christmas Eve 2007. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful and even offered us a complimentary breakfast on Christmas Day. What a great start of our short trip to Florida. The hotel was very quiet. The rooms are nicely and modern furnished and the sleep number beds are just great. We can highly recommend this hotel both for business travellers and for tourists.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends