“Still a charm.....”

Red Lion Hotel Jacksonville
Ranked #88 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is the second time returning to this property. Nothing really has changed. This hotel boast a pretty good standard from last time. I really didn't appreciate the $50 hold on the credit card, especially since I was redeeming for a free night. I called previously and even asked upon check in, if this could be waived since I am a concierge member. They would not. I really hate giving my credit out when I don't have to. Upon departure, it did fall back on within some days. The rooms I like. Always clean. White heavy large towels are used. The bathrooms are awesome. Water pressure was great. Fridge and microwave provided. Housekeeping was awesome. The rooms are not vented very well though. You can hear conversations from other guests in their room. We easily seemed to have solved that problem by keeping the automatic fan on all night. We didn't hear any other conversations the whole two days we were there. The sleep number bed......I really don't get the "hoopla" associated with them. I don't like those beds. However, before leaving I always stripp the bed to assist the housekeeper whom has to clean the room. Absolutely no stains were on the mattress cover. BRIGHT white mattress pad....I was very impressed....I provided a picture.The hot tub was great.....yes it was really hot and clean. Very relaxing. Not much restaurants around the hotel other than Dave n Busters. Not that far from the beach. The Windows to the room cannot open though....for fresh air. I will definitely return to this property. Recognizing their concierge members would definitely go a long way though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aspertame
Alex F, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Clean, nicely decorated, great front desk clerks, nice pool, very comfortable bed, sufficient outlets for charging. They did a great job with this one. I think they went a step beyond what they "had" to do.

1  Thank Elizabeth B

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I read a review just before mine. Totally surprised, since it was totally out of alignment with most of the recent ones.

My own experience is this. We wanted to attend the free jazz festival that Jacksonville sponsors each year on this Memorial Day Weekend. Last year, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, on this same street (Salisbury Road) and had a good experience. So although I found some hotels at a decent price, I tried the well known hotel bidding service to get them even cheaper. I got this Radisson Jacksonville Hotel.

I define value as getting a little more, for a little less money. This place is 'great value'.

Location:
This hotel is just off of Butler Blvd and Interstate I-95. Located with other hotels is a business complex of four and five story office buildings. It is less than two minutes off of the highway.
As I once lived in Jacksonville, I know this (Butler Blvd area) neighborhood to be a good and relatively safe area to stay in.
There are no food places on this side of I-95. However, on the other side of the expressway you will find places like Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, Mcdonalds, Zaxby's and more. East of the hotel, about 6 minutes away is the St Johns Town Center. A really nice outdoor mall. Note: There is a Dave and Busters across the street from the hotel for kid friendly fun.

Outside Impression:
This hotel as well as the others on Salisbury Road, appears to be well maintained on the outside. There is adequate lighting in the parking lot, except at the far end. There is a short walk to the entrance.

Lobby and Check-In:
The lobby is bright and beige. It is extremely clean and makes a good first impression. There was a restaurant or eating space off to the side, but we didn't eat in the hotel at all.

Hallway:
The hallway to our room, was also very well lit and the carpet appeared to be new. We didn't 'smell' any bad odors or such while in the hallway or in the room.

Room:
When we opened the door, we were quite surprised. I always, expect a room to be decent, but it actually was very nice and bit upscale. My wife checked out the beds, and gave them the "OK". The room was not large, but it was well laid out, with nice furniture that did NOT appear to have much wear and tear. The wallpaper was a light color and as you can see in the photo, the credenza held the television, the drawers for clothes, coffee maker and microwave.

It had both a smoke detector, ac controller on the wall, security safe and separate closet that can be closed. A lot places skimp on these items.

The room was also very quiet, we didn't hear any of the neighbors in the hotel. Can't always say that either.

Wifi, well it was fast enough for me to watch two episodes of shows that I missed on my hulu account. There was a little buffering, but after that it ran smoothly.

Bed:
The room had two sleep number beds. You can actually dial in the amount of firmness that you want. I slept very well, and found the beds supportive.

Bathroom:
As you can tell by the photo, it is not very large. but it was adequate for only two people. A small family trying to chair such as a room, might have a little bit more challenge in moving around. I also like the fact, that is had some grab handles in the shower, even though it was not a room specifically designed for those with disabilities.

I saw this room on one of the websites for just under $100. It would have felt it was good for that price. However, getting it for less than that, made it really a great value.

Two important things:
1. The safe in the room would lock properly when we got to the hotel. When we called down to the front desk about it, the maintenance guy was up to our room in less than two minutes.
2. We missed checkout time because we were cruising around St Augustine and got caught up in the traffic. When we got back to the hotel, the front desk person, I think her name was "Lorraine" gave us absolutely NO fuss or headache about it and cheerfully re-activated out keys so we could get that one last shower in and head on out.

This was a good hotel experience and I define it as a great value!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Sometimes we are surprised about the reviews we can find here.
As a Club Carlson Concierge member, I really know about de standards this brand can bring us.

First, the reception desk is too high we can't sign a paper. In addition, all the lower floor smells bad. The reception staff goes to the front door smoke!!! And others go to the bathroom all the time to talk in private mobile!! I was not recognized as a Carlson Club member, they didnt even know what they had to do.

The fitness center is a joke! Only accomplish the brand standard they painted it in red, but, what was that? A very very small room!!! The ar conditioning was freezing. I ask to the staff to set it to a better temperature and he smiled telling it coundnt be. All the towels to pool and fitness make a real hill outside fitness, unbelievable. The restaurant is better than the rest of hotel.

Second, about the room, it needs a total renovation, urgently!! Not only the room, the entire hotel!!! The safebox was not working, cables passing by the room floor, bad pillows, I found a hair on towel, the carpet is dark and I stepped in a popcorn ( :-0 ). The arrangment seems they dont care about brand standards. I heard all they did in the next room! Omg! The bathroom is old!

Finally, this hotel doesnt own to this brand. We cannot compare it with Radisson Faria Lima, Radisson Vila Olimpia, Radisson Belem, Radisson Maceio, Radisson Curitiba, Radisson Orlando, Etc...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EBTBR
Jason S, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel.

If you have a moment and are willing to share any specifics on these items it would help me to remedy these concerns. However, regardless of your response to my request I want to make sure that you feel your comments were heard.

I'm hoping that you'll visit us again. If you'd like, you can reach me at 904-281-9700. It would be a pleasure to personally discuss with you any specifics and / or suggestions you'd like to offer.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stay at this hotel for two nights in late march. We are not familiar with the Jacksonville area as we usually only travel through it and never really had the need to stop. Well this time our Son was playing in a soccer tournament and we required to stay overnight, and the Radisson was just perfect for our needs. I really liked the location as it was close to the highway and also anything you could possibly think you need it was no more than a 5 to 10 minutes drive from it. The lobby is small but nice and check in went with no issues, however when we arrived to our room, it wasn't exactly what we had reserved, so down we went to get a different room, front desk changed our room right away, but to our surprise the new room was just the same as the one we've just had, then once again down we went to have the room change, again they changed it right away, front desk personnel were extremely apologetic and due to our inconvenience we were given coupons for free breakfast. I have to say I was glad to see that an effort was made to rectified the problem right away and that they recognized that we've had been inconvenienced and made up for their error all on their own, for that kudos to the employee that made sure we left as a satisfied customer. The rooms are average in size, the decor was nice and everything was clean and in working order. We had a king size with a sleeper sofa, My understanding is that the beds are the ones that you can adjust to your liking, but no one told us about it so we didn't use that feature. The gym is very small but still I could do a light workout, didn't use the pool (weather didn't cooperate), Breakfast was simple, limited and served buffet style really nothing to rave about, free ample parking and free WiFi, The service and friendliness was pretty much the same all around, and that alone will make us come back to this hotel next time we need an over night in Jacksonville.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a nice place. We stayed overnight, and it sufficed for what we needed. There is a restaurant, but no complimentary breakfast, which disappointed us. We stayed on my friend's Club Carlson points, so the room was free. We did not go in the pool, but it looked decent.

Room Tip: Breakfast is not included and is somewhat pricey. There is a Waffle House down the street, for a mor...

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Loved this hotel the last time we stayed. Believe I reviewed it last time and it received an excellent. This time it dropped a bit. But just a bit. The venue is still excellent, meaning the lobby and the rooms are exceptionally clean and well designed, cozy and sophisticated and elegant. The pool is one of my favorite in Jacksonville Florida so far. Lounge chairs are comfortable with plenty of space. The position of the pool receives plenty of sunshine through out the day. There is a hot tub outside as well. Sunbath and refresh, sunbath and refresh with another jump in the pool. The downfall was breakfast. It just was not that good. Nothing special. We did the buffet for variety & speed. It was under par as compared to the Hampton Inn. The Hampton inn's that I have stayed in have served circles around this buffet. Bland eggs, store bought muffins, runny grits, unseasoned french toast, oven roasted old potatoes with no seasoning and no onions or peppers.... Subpar service and way overpriced in comparison because Hampton' s breakfasts are included. The last thing is the bedding seems to be overused. If I had not eaten here it probably would have scored another excellent.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms over look the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We apologize that you did not enjoy the food. We will address it with our team so it does not happen again. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.