“Fine for business travel”

Jacksonville Marriott
Ranked #47 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
“Fine for business travel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

It is a bit tired. Cracks in the tile bathroom floor. Rust on the door base. Caulking needing to be done. Excursive room was nice. Up to date with treadmills and elliptical machines. I think room service and front staff were above average. Very nice group working there. It maintained Marriott standards with their bedding and pillows.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Bpluth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

This Marriott hotel is a bit outdated with its bedroom decor and rugs. Restaurant service and food was good albeit a little pricey. Executive club was adequately staffed and service was hospitable and friendly. The gym was good but the maintenance on the equipment was not great. TVs attached to equipment had fuzzy reception; remotes attached controlled more than 1 TV on equipment which made for an interesting dilemma; certain treadmills would stop every 2 minutes. The hotel room had a very musty odor. Overall, the service is good but the hotel needs work. For business, it met my needs.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank worldtraveler4971
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed here on a one-night business trip. Nice hotel...comfy beds and nice staff. Workout room is just okay...but it does have an indoor and outdoor pool. There is mostly just hotels directly nearby. There is a Dave and Busters if you want to walk down the street to get something to eat or have some drinks. The hotel does have a decent restaurant as well with a little variety.

The hotel is about a $25-$30 cab ride to downtown. This is the first time I had to stay in Jacksonville. I hope I don't have to go back anytime soon (not a very exciting city...at least from what I saw). But if I did come back...I wouldn't mind staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Monkeyboy239
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

My wife and I visited a friend in Jacksonville. We stayed at this hotel for one night. We were pleasently surprised how nice the hotel was and in a great location. Quiet area and 3-4 minutes to the wonderful St. John Town (shopings and dinings) Center. Surprised because we paid "a Fairfield Inn price" for this good Marriott hotel. The hotel loby, hallways, carpets, and rooms are very nice. The problems I saw was it's not clean. The low parts of the walls, the corners are dirty. They need a cleaning crew. The hotel has musky smell when you walk in the loby. My room (403) smell urine in addition to the musky smell. We didn't ask to change the room because we were running late to meet our friend. I like the indoor and outdoor swimming pools and the jacuzy. The fitness center is small, but good. It's odd that you don't need a room key to get into the swiming pool, but you need room key to get into the fitness center. If they keep this hotel clean; I would pay double to stay there.
My advice: don't stay in room 403 and watch your little kids because they can get into the swimming pool easily and bring some candles to help with the smell.
I will stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 403!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Praya M
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I love this hotel, I have been here several times. The staff is very nice and friendly and accommodate to make you feel welcomed. Rooms are also super clean too!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Gina M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

The service at this hotel is wonderful. Everyone from the front desk staff, to the concierge staff and the restaurant staff were really all very friendly and accommodating. Whenever I needed something, the staff went the extra mile to make sure my request was met. The hotel itself could use some updating. Interesting smell throughout the hallways and older amenities throughout. If you don't mind the outdated feel of the hotel, I would recommend this hotel for the service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HUTraveler02
Waycross, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

I was reluctant to stay here because of the reviews about the smell; however, I am in a wheelchair temporarily, and the forecast's call for rain made us want to stay at a hotel with in-room movies and a restaurant if we needed one. So, we bit the bullet and stayed here.

The smell when you walk in the hotel is just below overpowering; I immediately thought that whoever said, "I wonder why Marriott even keeps this hotel open" was correct. We also had issues with our first room--our keys did not work (a problem mentioned elsewhere on TA) and the toilet ran from the moment we walked through the door. We were quickly moved, and we were comped breakfast and given 2,000 Marriott points and a snack basket--gestures we felt were, really, too much.

The hotel was immaculate, and there was no smell on either the 6th or 8th floor. The rooms were comfortable and clean. In the handicapped shower stall, you could not reach the soap from the bench seat, which I felt was unsafe and a design flaw. From a wheelchair perspective, I felt Hampton Inn was more comfortable--although Marriott's in room carpet IS easier to roll on.

The bed was not comfortable, with some sagging toward the center, but in general, I would have to give this hotel 4/5 stars--it was what you would expect from Marriott: good service, clean facilities, and excellent amenities. Just with a really odd smell.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple