“Can't Marriott afford a dehumidifier?”

Jacksonville Marriott
Ranked #50 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Stayed at this hotel twice because I usually have a good experience with Marriotts, but I'll never stay here again. Every room smells strongly of damp, musty air. They moved me up to the "concierge" level on the top floor which was bearable but all of the standard rooms feel like you're staying inside a swamp cooler. One of the staff said they have a problem when it is hot out that the rooms get this way. I'm shocked that Marriott would even keep this hotel open given the condition. It wouldn't have surprised me to see mushrooms growing on the carpet. Maybe this is a common problem in the south, but I've never experienced it anywhere else. The staff is very friendly and helpful, but it just can't make up for the unbearable smell.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank GolfnGuitarNut

Reviewed 9 August 2009

The Marriott is conveniently located near 95, Southside and JT Turne. Rooms are nice and clean. Staff is friendly and helpful. Food is good, Easy to get food at the bar, also.

The only issue is the fitness center is much too small for the size of the hotel. They need to expand the space and equipment. Otherwise, you will enjoy this hotel

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2009

This was the second time I have visited this hotel. Both times have been the same so I will review both my stays. The first time was a double room and the second time was a king room. Both times we were put on a higher level and had a view of the outdoor pool. The first time we stayed it was warm weather, so we swam in the outdoor pool and was great. The second time it was cold, so we used the indoor pool. The indoor pool was supposed to be heated, but it was cold. My daughter still swam in it, but I couldn't stand it. I just stayed in the hot tub. There was also a sauna, but we didn't try it.

The rooms were always clean and comfortable. The rooms are a pretty good size also. I used my laptop in the room, but did have a hard time staying connected in the room because of a low signal. I used it down by the pool and it was fine. The fitness center was okay, but some of the equipment didn't work properly.

Both times that we stayed there, we were attending concerts at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. This hotel was a little out of the way of the arena, but it was fine for me because it was in a quiet area. There is nothing really around this hotel except for other hotels. You will have to drive at least 3 or more miles to find a restaurant or shopping.

I would definitely stay there again because of the cleanliness and the staff was great. They always greeted us everytime an employee saw us. That just made us feel welcome there. I would recommend this hotel if you don't want to be in the middle of everything and want some quiet time.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I stayed here on a Sunday night. The staff were friendly and courteous. I reminded the check-in clerk that I had requested a quiet room and he switched me from the one he had been about to allocate to a corner room at the back of the building. Nice, comfortable bed, as I have come to expect with Marriott. Dinner in the restaurant was OK, although not particularly memorable. Wines by the glass are expensive. $12 for a small glass of so-so wine is a bit steep. Remember to where a sweater or jacket - they keep the airco up high in the restaurant and it can be draughty in places. Breakfast didn't work too well - they were clearly having a problem in the kitchen and there were long delays getting food out. This may have been a one-off. Perhaps they were short-staffed that morning.The outside pool area is quite pleasant, but they need to clean the pool more frequently. It had a lot of leaves in it the evening I arrived. They were still there late the next morning. I had planned on having a swim, but it was too dirty to be inviting.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Stayed at the J'ville Marriott as part of a group in town for a family celebration. The hotel couldn't have been better. The staff was accomodating and friendly, the rooms were spotless and the location was terrific. The St. John's Town Center is 5 minutes away so there's always something to do on your free time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2008

My company paid $199 per night for this room... YES.. $199 a night in Jacksonville??!!??!!! This should be an $89 a night room without the problems.
First let me say that if I paid $89 for this room I would have been satisfied. I will just go through the list now of why this place was not good, and very dissapointing for a Marriott (which my second favorite chain next to Embassy Suites).

1) for $199 a night, I was given what was clearly a priceline room. On the second floor, just over the roof line of a function room and facing a wall (about 30 feet in front of me). Beautiful view...NOT!
2) The handle on the toilet kept popping off when I tried to flush it, and stuck out about 4 inches from the side of the toilet unless you pushed it in.
3) Sink would not drain properly. Kept overflowing.
4) Key cards kept demagnetizing, so I was locked out of my room 3 times!!! yes..3 times.
4) Indoor pool was so dirty that at only 4 feet deep, I could barely see my feet due to the fogginess. Try cleaning it once and a while.
5) Business Center was soo hot, it was felt like a steam room when other people where in there. In fact, it must start stinking, because they have a deoterizing mechinism that sprays every so often as you sit there. How about pumping some airconditioning into that room!
6) Ordered a sandwich at the bar and it came smothered in Brie (nasty!). How about adding that to the descriptions of your sandwiches!

In Conclusions....Stay at the Radision two doors down if you want to be happy. People seem to love that place. I have told my company, I will absolutely not stay at the Marriott Jacksonville again. Either they put me somewhere else, or I don't go.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 June 2008

We had a nice stay at this Marriott. It is right of I-95 which was great for us since we were traveling to Orlando and just needed a good place to sleep. That's what you'll get here as the rooms were clean, smelled fresh, and the beds were great. We ate at a nearby restaurant so I don't know what the food at this hotel is like.

The only disappointment was the pools which is one of the reasons we choose this Marriott. It has an indoor and outdoor pool. The pools were a little dirty and cool. If they were cleaner and warmer they would've been great.

Overall a comfortable stay and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice place to sleep.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank poulsbo99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
2 mi away
#48 of 134 in Jacksonville
Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
#72 of 134 in Jacksonville

Been to Jacksonville Marriott? Share your experiences!