“Some rooms have strong musty odor, otherwise this place is great”

Jacksonville Marriott
Ranked #52 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Some rooms have strong musty odor, otherwise this place is great”
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Since our original review, we have returned to the Jacksonville Marriott twice. We may have been too generous in initially assigning this hotel an "excellent" rating.

The issue? Several rooms have a strong musty odor and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Then again, this seems to be a problem in other hotels in the Jacksonville area, so geography may be a factor. Nevertheless, one one visit, we had to switch rooms twice, before we escaped the musty smell.

Otherwise, this hotel is great. The staff are friendly and professional. The indoor and outdoor pools are well maintained and relaxing. The location is right off I-95 which makes it a convenient stopover onto destinations in central or south Florda.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adventuretravelernc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 January 2011

My stay at the Jacksonville, Florida, Marriott, was exceptional! Glorious service from check-in to check-out, and everything in between, including extra bed service for my children, breakfast buffet, pool side accommodations and the wonderful wait-staff.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 17 August 2010

I would have easily given this hotel a four but for a few miscues. The service was excellent and we got a very late checkout - 2pm, the rate was unbeatable (through Priceline - name your own) and the bed was magnificent.

Unfortunately, there must have been something wrong with the A/C or windows because the room was extremely damp, even when the A/C was on. It was damp to the point where everything in the room felt wet. Very odd

The only other gripe I had was that despite the recently updated rooms, they seemed to miss some small, inexpensive details. For one there was a rusted bottle opener bolted behind the bathroom door and the toilet seat was discolored and cheap - didn't match the toilet.

A little bit more attention to detail would have made this a 4 star because of the exceptional service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I travel to Jacksonville about three times a year. Lodging is always a struggle. I have yet to find a nice hotel. There’s no place to eat downtown in the evening. If you stay across the river then it is more pleasant and you have more choices. But then it takes you fifteen or twenty minutes to get to the downtown office corridor using public transportation. On my last trip, I tried staying at the Jacksonville Marriott even though it is about five miles from downtown. It is right on the Interstate so I thought the drive wouldn’t be that big of a deal. I didn’t think driving back and forth would be much different time wise than using the monorail serving downtown from across the river.

This is probably the nicest hotel I have stayed at in Jacksonville although that is not a very high standard to meet. The desk staff were pleasant, the room comfortable, and everything actually worked in the fitness center (a rarity). My main complaint is that getting on the interstate to drive downtown was difficult. Even though I could see I-95 from my room, it literally took me fifteen minutes to actually get on it for the five minute drive to downtown. However, I’ve booked a room at the Marriott for my July trip so I guess I think it’s worth the trouble.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
NY
Reviewed 20 January 2010

staff was friendly upon checkin. we get a room where the bathroom has no water in the shower and the toilet is broken, so we are given the key to another room to get ready til the problem is resolved. once the water comes on and we shower the room remains like a sauna all night and day with condensation on the window and the rug was soaked from it and then we noticed the mold that had grown there. once we brought this to their attention we were given a new room a $20 discount on our nights stay, some water,malt balls and trail mix,access to the concierge room that was closed all the times we could use it ,continental breakfast, and then a refrigerator that also didn't work. so our new room is okay so we think til we go out and come back at 1am to see that the layers of dust on the furniture/lamps are disgusting! and the fridge still doesn't work. the supervisor comes to see this and apologizes but after offering to comp us for the night for the inconvenience of this all,recommends he will call me another hotel if I want to leave! That's a first for me...I am a professional who deals with thousands of people in a day so we were nothing but nicer than we should have been considering we were treated like second rate clients because of "OUR RATE"! the whirlpool was cold as was the indoor pool, my mistake for not calling and checking on these conditions prior. Also in the moving around of rooms I had lost my cell phone charger which they had in the lost and found and when I called to inquire about it at 1am was told that it was not there and so I went to the previous room on my hands and knees to search for it! At 2am the night manager calls me and tells me we are getting no more comps for the night or anything and he will call me another hotel to check out. I spent so much time complaining to them and being shuffled around that I wasted so much time from my trip, only to check out a day early anyway because I was so upset. They don't care about their customers and maybe its just the convention people or business clients, but I won't be staying there or in any other marriott again.

• Stayed January 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 October 2009

This is our first stay at the Jacksonville Marriott. We usually stay in a Fairfield Inn, but decided to "upgrade" the bed. This property met and exceeded all of our expectations. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and the bed is very comfortable. Parking was ample and convenient.

Other comments:
The hotel is in the middle of an office park and can be difficult to find. When exiting off I-95 onto Butler Blvd, you need to make an immediate right onto the access road. If you miss this, it can be very difficult to turn around. While it is located right off I-95 within minutes to everything, there aren't many good dining options around the hotel. We ended up eating in the hotel restaurant which was convenient. The food was excellent but a bit pricey.

We did not experience a humid room, but housekeeping had used some fragrance to clean the room. It was not obnoxious and neither my wife or I had any headaches or allergies.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adventuretravelernc
Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Stayed at this hotel twice because I usually have a good experience with Marriotts, but I'll never stay here again. Every room smells strongly of damp, musty air. They moved me up to the "concierge" level on the top floor which was bearable but all of the standard rooms feel like you're staying inside a swamp cooler. One of the staff said they have a problem when it is hot out that the rooms get this way. I'm shocked that Marriott would even keep this hotel open given the condition. It wouldn't have surprised me to see mushrooms growing on the carpet. Maybe this is a common problem in the south, but I've never experienced it anywhere else. The staff is very friendly and helpful, but it just can't make up for the unbearable smell.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business