“Wonderful Experience Overall”

Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
Ranked #72 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the night of our third wedding anniversary, and it's nothing fancy, but worth every penny we paid and more.

I'll start by listing what I liked about the hotel:
-Located around a lot of dining options. (We chose the Dave & Busters right down the road, and it was awesome!)
-Clean! (With the exception of the cigarette smell explained below.)
-Some smoking rooms are still available. (The hotel is primarily non-smoking, though, I believe.)
-Pool looked very pleasant. (We didn't get to actually swim as I had wanted to, but it looked better than most outdoor hotel pools.)
-Plenty of free, well-lit parking.
-Wonderful free breakfast! (It consisting of biscuits, gravy, sausage patties, and eggs, as well as the typical continental breakfast fare--fruit, toast, cereal, juice, etc.)
-Very positive and welcoming attitude from the front desk staff; and also willing to answer our questions about the hotel and the area in general.
-Located in a safe area, and this point can not be emphasized enough! (It is very easy to unintentionally wander into a bad neighborhood in Jacksonville.)
-Comfortable Bed.

Things that could be improved:
-Keeping extra front desk staff on hand while training new employees--especially during check-in hours! (We waited about 30 minutes to be checked in because the supervisor was assisting another customer, and the trainee did not know how to process a Hotwire reservation. We are understanding about this--even though we were on a tight schedule--but others may not be.)
-The smell of cigarette smoke throughout the entire floor we stayed on, even though the floor had non-smoking rooms as well. (This is not something that bothered us so much as probably bothering others who are non-smokers. Hotels we've stayed at in the past typically have an arrangement where an entire floor will be dedicated to smoking rooms as to not bother those who do not smoke. Either way, if you are sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke and/or do not smoke--even if you have a reservation for a non-smoking room--I suggest requesting a room that is not on the third floor.)
-The lighting in the bathroom should be explained at the front desk. (Perhaps more hotels are like this than I realize, but the light in the bathroom is on a timer, where you twist the timer and then flip the switch. I felt kind of dumb after telling them we had a maintenance problem, but I can't be the only person who has never seen that before.)

All in all, we have paid tons more for 4 and 5-star hotel rooms which were not nearly as pleasant as this one we only spent $40 for on Hotwire.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Veronica_P89
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Greetings!

Please allow me to express my appreciation for your time in completing this review about our hotel. Our team takes great pride in our property and many of our staff members have been on board for many years, including myself.

I have noted the areas for improvement and I have shared these with our team. We have implemented odor eliminators on the third floor to assist in combating this issue and are working on a process regarding the new energy saving light controls. Your feedback is very important and knowing how we can improve allows us to keep our guests satisfied which is our Number 1 priority.

We hope that any time you find yourself in our area, that you will keep us in mind for your accommodations.

Yours in hospitality,
The Staff and Management of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Not only was the property meticulously clean and well run, the room itsself was spacious, quiet and beautiful, like being in a five-star hotel, and incredible value for the price. The staff was wonderfully pleasant, the breakfast was superb, and the extra amenities were above and beyond what one would expect. I was treated as if I were at the Ritz!! I don't know if all Best Westerns are run like this, but from now on, I will choose a Best Western over any over hotel.

Room Tip: I was offered a pet-friendly room closer to the elevator, which was very convenient!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2011

When you walk in to this Best Western you are always greeted with a smile and a friendly " Welcome". Everyone is always pleasent and smiling.The staff go above and beyond to make you feel at home .

The rooms are always clean and bright . the rooms we have stayed in have had a microwave and a dorm fridge so we can purchase soda and snacks to keep in the room.
Always plenty of hot water for a shower or bath .

The location is just off the main Freeway but has a beautiful peaceful feel to it because you do not hear the traffic and you can go for a walk if you want to. If you do not want to go far to eat there is a resturant just down the street.
They have a pool that is very inviting and a great morning breakfast and the coffee is always hot. I love that I do not have to go home with dirty Laundry as I can wash/dry right there. Internet is available via wifi or you can use the computer and printer they have (Just remember to share!)available.

What we like best is the whole overall feel and friendliness of this Best Western!

This one thing I really, really LOVE about this place is that it is PET FRIENDLY!!
we bring our German Shepard with us and always have a great experience.

Room Tip: The best view is on the front side of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear BEST WESTERN Guest Family Member...

On behalf of our wonderful staff here at the hotel, please accept my heartfelt thanks for sending in your review and opinion of our hotel and team members.

We value these comments and I share each one with our team during our all-associates meetings. This kind of feedback is invaluable to us and helps our staff stay focussed on our goal of making our guests as comfortable as possible, providing the highest quality of service and cleanliness and insuring that each guest that visits us will look for us again when they are back in Jacksonville!

Coming soon, you will find our breakfast will be expanding again with items such as yougurt. We are pleased to make this change based on the feedback of so many of our guests that would like to see something of this nature. Of course, we will continue to offer our many hot items and on Wednesdays continue our evening reception of hot sampling during our "Get to Know Us Hour."

Thank you again for your compliments and we look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Yours in hospitality,
The Staff of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint

Reviewed 9 July 2011

My husband and I stay in many hotels because we travel a lot. We decided to stay at the Best Western JTB/Southpoint because it was in such a great location. This hotel was close to everything that we could need and not far from the beach either. This hotel had the friendliest staff my husband and I had ever came into contact with. The housekeeping staff was always there to greet you with a smile and kind words. Our room was cleaned and replenished in a prompt manner. The front desk staff always greeted us when we came in and acknowledged us when we left. I felt very good at the hotel. Not to mention how well kept and beautiful it was. We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2011

This hotel was VERY clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had no problems at all during our stay and will have no problem using this hotl again in the future. We suggest if looking for a nice clean hotel you give them a try.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The hotel exceeded my expectations. Room was large and nicely furnished. The housekeeping staff does a fantastic job of keeping it clean and inviting. The front desk staff were professional, friendly and very helpful. Every staff member I encountered were friendly and polite and very willing to help.

I will definately be returning to this hotel and highly recommend it for anyone wanting a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The value was great. VERY clean. One of the best things my wife and I was surprised with was the breakfast!! Fabulous!!

• Stayed: June 2011