“Just right every time”

Ranked #59 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Brunswick, Georgia
“Just right every time”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have stayed at this property twice. I actually work for Hilton but sometimes I can't get a room at my employee rate and when I can't I always come here. I was actually a little hesitant the first time I stayed here because I was using an interstate coupon book. They accepted my coupon with no hesitation which made the value of this hotel much better. The front desk staff was always helpful. The property isn't amazing. It's extremely average. However it's clean, everything works, nothing seemed cheap or broken. I didn't give this an excellent rating because it's over the top amazing. I gave it an excellent rating because it's exactly what you need in a hotel. No frills, no fuss, great location, excellent value.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This was a wonderful experience for me and my mom... The hotel was full because of a softball tournement.. We never heard a peep out of all those kids and they were all very respectful..Hotel staff was friendly and very helpful..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Greetings!

I want to take this opportunity to express my thanks for completing a TripAdvisor review on our hotel. I am very pleased to know that our team provided for a comfortable and enjoyable experience at our property. Our goal is always to exceed our guests expecations and you taking the time to share this with us and let our associates know that we have met this goal is very much appreciated.

During this time of year, the city is host to a varied of events, including sporting events for both secondary and university students. We do engage certain requirements of the team coaches and chaparones to insure that our guests are taken care of and not disturbed. I am happy that these measures helped to provide you with a comfortable and enjoyable experience with us.

As part of the family that makes Best Western International the brand it is today, we welcome you to our family here at the Southpoint property and look forward to the privilege of hosting you for the years to come. If any of us may ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to call on us.

Warmest regards,
Your Team of Associates at the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I had reservations for 2 rooms for 2 nights. One was king room and the other room with 2 beds. I was told after a check in process of about 35 mins by the clerk at the front desk that he could not find the second reservation. He tells me that he doesn't have a room with two beds for my brother, his finance and his son. I am also told that there are no roll away beds or cots of any kind available. I am told there are no other possibilities for rooms available to accommodate them. So, my brother's family ends up with one bed. Since we have already prepaid for our rooms through hotwire we decided to stay rather than incur the additional cost of booking at another hotel. I enter my room and find it to be in poor condition but I am exhausted and decide to make the best of it. I flip on the light in the bathroom and find NOT ONE, NOT TWO, BUT THREE ROACHES!!! I killed one, one got away and the third I was able to capture on video in my phone before it scurried away. I went back down to the clerk at the desk to show him the dead roach. He says he has no other rooms and acts as if I am somehow disturbing or bothering him. I start to play the video of the roach crawling up the wall and he says, " well, I guess I have to do it." I have no idea what this means. Then he says, "I guess I have to give you the $100 a night suite even though you certainly did not pay for it". I tell him that I don't care what room it is as long as there are no cockroaches!!!!! I get into the "suite" and surprise - there is pull out love seat that would accommodate my brother's family. The only thing that is different in this room from the first one is that the chair is exchanged for a love seat and so far it seems there aren't any roaches (not that I can see any way). This is definately not what I would consider a suite and would be very upset if I was expecting a suite. The suite is very dingy and needs a good cleaning. I have posted several pictures of the room condition including the mold on the ceiling, the urine build up in front of the toilet and stained tub. The clerk at the desk also told me that I would probably be moved out of the "suite" in the morning into another room as soon as someone checks out. This was the only good news of my stay. I called hotwire in the moring and they refunded my second night's stay and booked both rooms at another property. I did receive a voice mail from the manager upon my return home saying that he would like to "make the situation right". The hotel could have made the stay "right" from the begining, but I guess that was asking too much....

Room Tip: Watch out for roaches! "Suites" are located next to the elevator shaft and are SUPER NOISE...
3 Thank Mrs_MegBell
Dear Mrs. B,

First, please allow me to express my regrets and apologies over a less than perfect stay. The circumstances you describe certainly would not have made for a pleasant experience. It was for this reason that I reached out to you personally regarding your experience. As I conveyed to you in my voicemail, I truly would like the opportunity to speak with you and personally assist with this matter. To address one of your issues, which is highly critical, it is very important to note that we engage, a national known and recognized pest control provider, ORKIN Pest Control, on a monthly basis to provide complete pest service to our property. We do so because they are the leader in these services and being in Florida it is important to have a company like ORKIN providing service for a business like ours. I have discussed your issues with them and they feel that what you may have seen are palmetto bugs, which resemble a roach, but are attracted to warmth and moisture. This species is a flying insect and can come in to building through exterior vented HVAC units such as ours. Regardless, it is a most unfortunate situation and I have met with the branch management of ORKIN here on property and provided them with a copy of your comments. This issue will be addressed properly by them I assure you. Matters of this nature, as well as overall housekeeping is something our team takes very seriously and works daily to insure is correct.

Your experience is very important to us and in reviewing your comments about how the matter was handled, I am very taken aback that our staff member addressed this issue in this manner. Most guests comment very favorably on the service this agent provides and I am very concerned to learn that your experience was outside the norm. To respond to you in this manner is unacceptable and this was brought to the attention of his department manager as well. We have met with the agent and have provided additional training on reacting and handling any type of guest issue to insure that anything remotely like the comments you stated are never conveyed to a valuable guest such as yourself.

Mrs. B, in my voicemail to you, I have left my contact phone number. I truly welcome the opportunity to speak with you and while I have not yet heard back from you, I do hope that we can chat and that I can rectify the less than perfect stay you experienced at our property. We value you as a guest and want your visit to our beautiful city to end on a much more favorable note.

Yours in hospitality,
The general manager of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed two nights and had a very good experience. Great prices,very clean rooms , comfortable bed and overall great experience. Staff was very helpful and accomodating. Would stay again and would highly recommend to friends.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank IW172
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I was looking for a hotel in Florida where I could stay a couple of nights before heading further south on vacation. After one night at this hotel, I asked to add two more nights onto my stay. The staff was full of southern hospitality, and I was always greeted with a smile. The location of this hotel is ideal: 15 min to Jacksonville Beach, less than 30 to some great outlet malls, and about 45 from St Augustine. On top of it being close to destinations I wanted to hit, it's also close to lots of restaurants, drugstores, etc. I had a room with one Queen bed, it was a pretty large room, the bed was comfy, lots of pillows. The pool is great, lots of chairs to lounge in. The free breakfast includes biscuits and gravy; you can't beat that! When I return to Jacksonville, I will not even look for another place! (One TINY complaint... No conditioner... Just shampoo. Not a big deal, I picked some up at CVS, but just an FYI if you've got frizzy hair like me and need it!)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ErinLynne
Dear Ms. Erin...

Please allow us to thank you for completing a review of your experience with our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I have taken the opportunity to share you comments with our team members. Sharing this type of compliment with our staff is very motivating to the team and I appreciate having your comments to provide to them.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us and that our team members provided an excellent hospitality experience for you. This is exactly what we are here to do and knowing that we exceeded your expectations re certainly rewarding to us.

We hope that you will visit Jacksonville again in the future and will make reservations with us when you do visit. We are always, at your service.

Happy Travels,
The Associate and Management of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
GAINESVILLE
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The hotel appears to to be a newer best western and its actually convenient to the Town Center and in between a couple of high school baseball fields. The front desk only had one person to check you in and if that one customer is ahead of you who has a million questions, be prepared to wait. later in the day, my key quit working for some reason and to go to the front desk to get another key was a 6-7 minute wait.... because it was that one person who had a million questions for the ONE front desk person. Rooms were nice but the bathroom space was smaller than average budget hotel. everything appeared clean, bed slept well, and outside noise was not too bad from the JTB and I95. The breakfast was kid oriented with plenty of sugary items, the sensitive stomach crowd should definitely skip this breakfast as its microwaved eggs, sausage, biscuits, frozen waffles, a couple of cereals, yogurts, instant oatmeal and some very watered down juices out of the machine. overall you get what you paid for and with a baseball team this actually was a bargain, if its me and the wife, we will pass

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was the best experiences i ever had.The bed was sooo comfortable the pillows was the best,but most of all was the service excellent.I would recommand this hotel to all my friends or anyone else.Free breakfast Wow!!!.Frendly staff will help you with your needs.Just a Great place