“Nice hotel, not a 3 star”

Wyndham Garden Jacksonville
Ranked #68 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I needed a place to stay when I was in St. Augustine for a festival. All of the places around St. Augustine, even motel 6 were bumped up to $200 a night!! So my best bet was to find something in Jacksonville. I got this hotel off of Hotwire. Since it was a 3 star (above what I was looking for since I needed to save money) I thought I would go ahead and get it and maybe live in a little bit of "luxury" for a couple of nights. My respond to that... eh.

It was a nice hotel, don't get me wrong. Very clean, beautiful room, modern, and the A/C worked perfectly (a huge thing for me). The bed was nice and comfortable. The staff was very nice and helpful. The location was convenient, right off of the interstate.

However, I am not sure why they are a 3 star hotel, I think maybe a 2 would be more appropriate. I have stayed in similar hotels for decently cheaper.

If I had the money, I would stay here again. But I would consider finding something cheaper with more than likely the same amenities.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 September 2013

From the front desk to the room to food, it all exceeded our expectations. We had just driven from Florida and we were very tired. The FD person saw that we were tired and expedited our check-In. Great value with exceptional customer service. We have stayed at many Choice Hotels from Seattle to Florida and by far this was the best.

1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Not sure if I stayed in the same hotel as others have raved about. I stayed here on a discount rate so price was fine. The hotel however was tired with minimal cleaning and upkeep. Nothing horrible it just seemed that corners were cut, everywhere. The worst was the fire alarm repeatedly going off at 3 till 4:30. When asking the front desk what the problem was we were told the rain got into the electrical/fire alarm box. That is quite scary and dangerous. This place needs not just refreshing but serious maintenance.

Room Tip: Spend a few more bucks and stay at another property.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom N
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Mr N,

I appreciate you taking time to share your opinion on your visit to our property. I see you are from Jacksonville and certainly thank you for visiting us as a resident of our beautiful city. I have noted your concerns and I would like to apologize for a less than exemplary stay with us. I have addressed your concerns with our team to insure that in the event some thing wasn't prepared to our standards that is corrected and does not happen again in the future. To address your statement pertaining our safety systems, our systems are maintained and inspected per code and are in 100% compliance and working order. I am not sure of the information you received but there was not an issue with the actual alarm system itself, but rather with a peripheral componet. This sent a signal to the system and the system functioned as it should have by going into alarm. While I know this was disturbing and we certainly would never wish a guest to be distrubed, we always do want our safety systems to function properly and in this case they did their job.

Our goal is always 100% guest satisfaction, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly and assist you further. Annonymous reviews can serve a purpose, however I always encourage hotel guests to come forward and speak with a hotel representative when they have an issue so that a problem can be resolved. Our hospitality team members have but one wish...each guest to be happy and smiling when they leave and come back to us again.

Yours in hospitality,
The Management Team of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Very easy to find and very hospitable staff at desk and at breakfast. Would stay again if in the area. I was given information on restaurants nearby which had printed directions... Very helpful when you are traveling. Logon to wi-fi very quick.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at this location. The area seems to be in a safe neighborhood. The room and bathroom were very clean and it was really quiet during our stay. We had a bit of trouble with the internet pricing being more than it was supposed to be. I brought along a copy of what the internet price was and the lady at the front desk was super and courteous in obtaining us the correct price. If we travel to the Jacksonville area again, we'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jcollins863
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We didn't realize until we pulled up that this was our second time staying at this hotel. The first time was 8 years ago. Check in was very easy. We actually arrived earlier than the check in time, but the desk clerk found us a room. The room was clean, but the décor was a bit dated. Reminded me a little of the 80's. It was big enough for the two of us. There were plenty of towels and the bathroom was clean. We had a front facing room and the only noise we heard from outside is if a very loud truck or motorcycle went by. OK, now for my dislikes. The bed was a queen, I think. It seamed small to me. It was comfortable, but I didn't like the way the whole bed moved every time one of us did. Also, the air conditioner was very loud. We had to turn if off to be able to hear the TV. The free breakfast left a lot to be desired, but it was free so I won't say too much about that. We would probably stay here again if in the area. The most important things to me when I stay in a hotel are safety and that it's clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ccain3
Reviewed 12 September 2013

great hotel. Front Desk people could use so help. Need to be friendly. They act like they are at the DDS getting teeth pulled. Other than that its a great place. Now I'm just trying to get to 200 letters so, this thing will let me post and get done with my review. hope this is now long enough..............

1  Thank Christopher F