“Shop around, First!!”

Ranked #55 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Panama City, United States
“Shop around, First!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

When my family went to breakfast there was barely anything there. Cereal with no milk, waffles with no syrup. I requested an early check-in, got to the hotel at 5:30 or 6 am and was still charged for the night before my arrival. We have a picture of a roach that was crawling around on the nightstand. The bathroom was so small one of my son's who is 6 ft, had to turn after he closed the door to use the toilet. The bathroom counter was coming unhinged from the wall. The air conditioner did not work. There was a surge protector plugged in with several cords running to it. The room was very dated and should be upgraded. Best thing about it, it was near Dave & Buster's.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Lincherria B
BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Ms. Lincherria,

Your review completed through solicited through the Medallia Survey System and forwarded to TripAdvisor has been received by our hospitality team at the Best Western Jacksonville property. We take our reviews very seriously as our team strives to provide the highest quality of cleanliness an guest service.

I have reviewed your stay of April 16th and 17th. I'm sure that it is a simple unintentional oversight, but your review does not mention that our guest services staff worked with you on your request to check in outside of the standard arrival time for the 17th. We always endeavor to accommodate our guests and although a guest arriving prior to 7:00 A. M. is arriving for the previous night, our team did provide you with a special discounted rate to accommodate your 5:00 A. M. arrival. We wanted to work with you to the very best of our ability, but these types of arrivals are not able to be counted as a 1 night stay as our standard Check In Time is 3:00 P.M.

We value you as a guest and always want your stay with us to be a good one. Our team was very concerned that you did not enjoy your visit. Our breakfast chef asked me to express to you his personal apologies that he could not provide you with a full breakfast when you came down for breakfast; he does remember you and though breakfast had already ended by the time you joined us, he did endeavor to provide you with selections that were still available.

Ms. Lincherria, I would be happy to assist you directly and invite you to reach out to me regarding your visit. It would be my pleasure to speak with you directly. In the interim, our hotel staff wishes you many excellent travels and safe journeys.

Yours in hospitality,
The General Manager of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint and the Hospitality Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I travel to Jacksonville because I am doing research for a book, I found the Best Western was in a great location for my project. The staff was generally responsive to my needs and the facility met my needs when they arose. The hotel has gone to great lengths to upgrade its high speed internet system which is a must for me. The facility is quiet, clean and modern. The non smoking rooms really are non smoking. This is a facility that I will return to when I next need to be in Jacksonville especially if I am staying for several nights. When i did have a problem that the front desk could not handle, the manager was responsive; treating the concern with due diligence.

Room Tip: Know what are musts when you reserve and ask for them while booking.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Douglasville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed on a non pet floor for allergy reasons. Room was nice, clean, and quiet. Saw someone with a dog in the hall. Reported them to front desk. Apparently the guest did not report having a pet. So much for allergy free. Overall the stay was great otherwise!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BestWesternJTB, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Jacksonville, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Ms. Rosalyn....

First, thank you for being returning guest of ours. It is always very rewarding for our team members to see that our guests have had an enjoyable stay with us and have returned to be a part of our family! We value you as a member of our very large extended family of repeat guests.

Let me also thank you for sharing your experience. Our staff values your input and appreciates knowing that we exceeded our goals in providing for a great stay. We want every guest to be comfortable and enjoy our wonderful hotel and city. I also want to thank you for bringing to the attention of the front desk the guest that had brought in their little one, without advising our staff. We welcome little furry friends, but they must be in their own selected locations. It is unfortunate when others do not follow those rules and disclose their extra "family member" is with them.

Ms. Rosalyn, we look forward to hosting you again in the future. Please accept our sincere appreciation for your patronage.

Warmest regards,
The Hospitality Team of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

As "Guest of the Day" I received very little extra, but it was sort of nice to be given that "title". The room we had was fine, and the breakfast was top notch. This is the second time we have stayed here, and will stay again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to complete a review on our hotel. I am always very happy to find a guest that is a repeat guest of the property who will take the time out of their schedule to comment on their visit. We have many, many guests who stay with us regularly and we value each and every one, including you...our Guest of the Day!

I have shared your comments with our team as this is a valuable tool for our team in knowing where they have succeeded. There is no greater satisfaction than knowing we have succeeded in making a guest happy.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly for your reservations. I am always at your service.

Safe journeys,
The General Manager of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint and the entire Hospitality Team
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I came to Jacksonville for our first getaway since our honeymoon. We booked this hotel on hotwire for 2 nights because for the price we thought it offered the best value. Upon check in the hotel seemed nice and the lady behind the counter was nice enough. She gave us our room keys. We get to our room and first thing we noticed is that it was a smoking room. We thought maybe it would be OK. So we walked in and the first thing that hit us we the smell. It was awful! We sat down on the bed and started looking around. The ceiling was yellow, the curtains were dingy and molded looking. We thought maybe we could handle it but after the first 10 mins we couldn't handle it. I went back to the front desk and asked if we could be transferred to a non smoking room. The lady was nice enough and said they were booked for the night but that she could come spray for us. I knew this would do nothing in the long run. When I get back to the room my nose started itching and my eyes started watering. My wife and I decided we couldn't stand it anymore and that if we stayed it would ruin the trip! So we picked up our suitcases and checked out. The Lady at the counter was nice again but she made it a point to inform us we couldn't receive a refund because we booked through an outside agency. We went next door the Marriott which provided a much more enjoyable stay. We called hotwire and they informed us that a non smoking hotel is an immenity that must be searched and sorted through. Lesson learned!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank mtbandits12
Dear Valued Contributor,

I have reviewed your comments regarding your reservations from a Third Party Online Auction Agency. Although through no fault of your own or of our hotel, the Agency reserved a Smoking Room for you I regret that you were not able to actually stay with us and allow us the opportunity to provide for your lodging needs.

As a non-smoker, I understand sensitivity to smoke odor and I know that under trying circumstances such as finding the company that you used to book your reservations (Hotwire) is placing the blame on you for not doing enough "research" to find the room type you wanted on their site can be more than frustrating. While I know that the smoking accommodations were not adequate to your needs, our smoking rooms are maintained to the same level as our non-smoking rooms and received an Ozone treatment on a scheduled basis. Any matter involving a less than happy guest are brought to my attention when they occur and I was aware that you chose not to stay with us for the evening. Upon being advised of your departure I did personally inspect the room, and have done so again since reading your posting, and did not find the ceiling or drapery discoloration you commented on.

Our hotel was sold out for the evening and it is most unfortunate that we could not accommodate you in a non-smoking room. I truly would welcome the opportunity to host you again at our hotel and would like to reach out to you to discuss this further. I am pleased that you were able to find accommodations elsewhere and that your time in our city was not impeded by the mistake on Hotwire's end with your booking. I do wish that TripAdvisor offered a way to review the booking source such as Hotwire and other sites where you could give them a rating to reflect the experience with them instead of rating the hotel itself negatively. As you stated in your review, our staff was pleasant and helpful but were limited as to how we could help due to the error on the end of the online company. Your rating of one circle indicating your dissatisfaction is based on the booking of the wrong room type by Hotwire and not the hotel itself. Scoring of this nature is very detrimental to the host property when it does not truly reflect the actions of the hotel and hence I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you.

In the interim, I would like to wish you safe travels and much success in your new marriage.

Yours in hospitality,
The General Manager of the BEST WESTERN Hotel JTB/Southpoint
Hernando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

On September 17, 2013 I checked into this Best Western for a 2 night stay while attending to medical treatment at the Mayo Clinic. My first impression this was this really not such a great place even at the reasonable rate I paid through Hotwire. Around midnight I was unable to go to sleep because of a hissing like sound which appeared near the door way...I looked out side in the hallway but could not determine the source of the noise. Around 2 a.m. the fire alarm went off ...no one evacuated the place...called the front office no answer. After quite a while the alarm stopped. Interestingly I notice the continuation of this hissing like sound...this time I learned that the noise was coming from the fire alarm system. The next day I told the attendant that I had not slept the night before, and gave her the reason, telling her that I was going to check out and wanted a refund. She said she had no control over refunds because I had booked through Hotwire. Make a long story short...hotwire said it would not authorize a refund and gave me so gooblygook for the refusal. Although I had no recourse, I still think the hotel should have given me the refund because it was not hotwires fault that I had a bad experience and got no sleep because of the noise and faulty fire alarm. Just a lousy experience and I will never stay at this flea hole again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Herman G
Ocean City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Whenever I'm in north Florida, I stay at this hotel. The staff is wonderful and the rooms are very nice. it has a REAL swimming pool that is the normal size a public pool should be. Over 6 feet deep, not a "baby pool" like you find in most hotels, these days.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business