“Horrible”

Sonesta ES Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #41 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed for five nights on a business trip. There was a fist fight in the parking lot. People drinking and smoking pot in the parking lot and also on the stairway in front of my room. When I mentioned about the pot smoking to an employee he said "they are doing that again" The food was ok, the room was ok also. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bone414
lainey s, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Bone 414,

Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay in March. I have addressed this situation with my night security, and this matter has been corrected.

I appreciate your taking the time to let us know your concerns. Comments from our guests are important in helping us to provide the best service possible.

I hope you will give us another chance if you are ever in Jacksonville. My staff and I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I would like to commend residence inn on all that they do to keep this hotel so nice and clean, the supervisor and staff are the greatest. they have a grill which I love, laundry room, exercise room , nice clean pool and the food is magnificent. variety of choices which I love them all. the rooms are very spacious more than enough space. I have stayed here 3 times and I must say its like a fine wine, it has gotten better with time. I love it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This Residence Inn is an early type from the mid-80's with four unit suites in separate buildings scattered over the property and the food area and office in its own building. Visiting family at two locations in the area made this centrally located place convenient to both. It was reasonably priced with clean well kept suites considering the age of the property. The pool area needed some work and some new lawn chairs and umbrellas but the pool was clean and we had it to ourselves most of the time. The breakfast was what you would expect from a suites motel with enough fresh choices available. Dix Ellis Trail has a string of motels, some pretty seedy, but the Residence Inn is located at the end of the row next to a commuter/online college. The staff was friendly and accommodating and we will book again for future visits to family.

Room Tip: Choose an upper suite unit
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Looks like an older generation Residence Inn from the outside but beautifully, and newly renovated, on the inside. Staff/service was very good. Location is excellent right off interstate, gas, restaurants, etc close. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I've stayed here twice. Both times were great. Rooms were clean and it's always a plus to have a refrigerator for food leftovers. No problems with air conditioning or plumbing, though some of the channels on the TV weren't working during my last stay.

Continental breakfast is free and I consider it a bonus that it's actually pretty good. You get a hot breakfast of eggs, sausage, etc as well as the usual cereal, toast, yogurt etc. They could probably increase the number of fruit selections though. Happy hour, if you're around and I was not, has free drinks and an appetizer selection for those interested.

I did not use the fitness room during my last stay but did take a peek. It's a bit small with only 3 cardio machines and a weight bench with some free weights, but no weight gym. In all, I did enjoy my stay and had no issues with the room or the service. Everyone was very nice.

I saw a prior review that someone felt unsafe. Indeed, there was a sign about possible thefts in the area. But while you won't find BMW's and Mercedes in the parking lots around here, at no time did I ever feel threatened or felt that I had to look over my shoulder. It's just an average area with average people.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I have to be honest, I usually address any issues with Marriott directly with the Manager or property themselves as I am a platinum member and travel very frequently. I have run into issues with the Marriott and they have been accommodating in the past, but in this particular instance or property there really nothing that can be done because of the location and property itself.
Let me be fair and state the staff is very nice and try to be friendly as they cannot compensate for the unsafe area which this place resides. As you drive into the complex you are "greeted" by signed stating "please secure valuables as there are robberies commonly in the area." Not to mention the run-down other Red roof Inn and La Quinta Inn which is about to fall down beside into the property. In addition they have roving security cars around the area, not the property as there is so much theft. In addition they have a sign once you check in.

Maybe they could compensate by serving a nice breakfast like other places, OH NO! This has a nasty breakfast and nasty happy hour. They served brown lettace and some gross soup which your dog would not even touch.

The property itself is run-down as well and the water smells like fecal matter when you run it and the rooms are not very satisfactory at all!

Save your money and stay up the street somewhere else where it is nice and property is much safer.

I feel bad for the owner of the property as the area is not going to get better nor is the property itself. Old, gross and run-down in a cracky part of town.

If you want to baracade yourself in your door with the sofa against it and have nasty food, stay here for a ridiculous price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Kate L
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is the first time that I have stayed at this particular Residence Inn and after staying here for a weekend I have to admit the one on Amelia Island is much better. When I was here, there was a large group here on a reunion and they totally took over the place (especially the pool) and management did not really seem to do much about it. The continental breakfast was great and the room was very nice. Overall, the experience was just average and I probably will not stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family