“Not Friendly”

Sonesta ES Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #51 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I specifically chose this hotel because it claimed to be dog friendly. I have stayed at other Residence Inns with my dogs and the experience has been good. I arrived very late due to an accident on I-95, at 1:30am.

I have two dogs, a 15 year old and an 8 year old. I was surprised that we were given a room on the second floor; I was told it was all they had. I drove around to the building and had to carry all my stuff and help the old dog up the stairs which necessitated multiple trips. I then tried to park... you can image my dismay when there were no parking spaces available; ZERO!

I drove around the lot two or three times along with 2 other cars looking for parking. Eventually, one of the other drivers stopped and told me the receptionist said we could park in one of the open disabled spaces. I drove back around to confirm this and was told I could park along the curb or in a disabled space. (It would have been nice if the receptionist had even pretended to care, but she didn't). I found one far away from my room at the end of the lot.

The following morning, I took the dogs about for their morning "trip" and followed the signs for "Pet Walk" only to find a tiny 18" strip of grass around the edge of the parking lot! Not acceptable! If you want to call your hotel dog friendly it should be. Just because you allow dogs in the rooms doesn't mean its friendly. I travel with my dogs 95% of the time and look specifically for amenities that make it easy for me and them. This was not one of them and will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LazyPhotographer

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was skeptical about staying at this property after reading the "single women" reviews below however this was the only Marriott hotel approved for my business trip so I went with it. The hotel is located on a side street right off the highway were several other hotels are under renovation but I found it easy to find and get in/out of. I had a very quick & easy check-in. I pre-requested a room near the front of the highway (per the reviews) and was given a room right up front. As always, I think a single women should be aware of her environment, and this location is no different but I had no problems nor did I feel concerned about my safety coming/going from the hotel. The inside of my room was very nice, newly redone and very quiet. I appreciated the refrigerator and all the other amenities you sometimes don't get when traveling. All in all, I had a comfortable stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the front of the property to avoid the highway noise
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed three nights over the New Year's holiday and overall we were happy with our stay, after a rough start. The rooms have all been updated and are nice and spacious. In addition, the General Manager, Lainey is excellent, knowledgeable, and very engaging with the guests, and she is always willing to help.

As for our stay...Initially, upon check-in, we were given a room at the back of the property close to I-95 (ask for a room away from 95!). The road noise in that room was too much for my family to handle. In addition, the carpet was still damp in places from a recent carpet cleaning. I'm not sure why we were given that room if there was a chance the carpets would be wet, but the person who checked us in when we arrived in the evening didn't seemed as concerned with our needs as much as getting us in a room. The next morning was a different story.

When I went down from breakfast the next morning I spoke with Lainey, the GM, who immediately sought to remedy our situation. She moved us to a new, upgraded room away from 95, seemed genuinely concerned with our needs and issues, and answered a series of questions I had about the local area and about her hotel. In a word, she was excellent.

The remainder of our stay was very good. As stated, the rooms were updated (more so than the Embassy Suites Baymeadows which needs updating badly - we've stayed there in the past), the breakfast was sufficient, and the overall service was good. Yes, the location made me a bit nervous given it's on a back road next to some dated, lower budget motels, but Lainey has security roaming and I felt safe during my stay. The overall grounds of the hotel are well kept.

I do have some suggestions to improve future stays for guests...first, they could put more towels in the rooms. We initially stayed in a two queen with sofa bed room and there were only two towels in the room. For a room that could sleep six, two towels wasn't enough. Second, our initial room did not have linens for the sofa bed in the closet - the bag was empty. I walked down to the desk the first night and was given some linens, but was told they had no more blankets to give out. Might be a good idea to invest in some additional blankets to have enough (or more than enough) to account for all beds. Finally, maybe have your staff check rooms for issues before they give them out to guests. This applies to the wet carpet we ran into in our room.

Thanks, Lainey for remedying our situation and making our stay comfortable. This review would have been much different without your intervention. You definitely know how to treat your guests.

Room Tip: Stay away from I-95 if possible. I think this applies to buildings 7-9, unless you get an inside fa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Nice place..I was surprised to read another review that says this area is not safe..I don't agree...I felt very comfortable..it was clean, breakfast was adequate and price was right. They have a BBQ grill area which is real nice, sports equipment available to borrow...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2013

While in Jacksonville for a week, I stayed at this property. While reviews are correct that the area has some issues, I've stayed in four-star hotels in major cities that were in areas no better than this. Just be aware of your surroundings--advice that applies almost anywhere.

That being said, the staff could not have been more helpful and courteous. The breakfast was good to very good every day. There was minimal noise noticeable from my second floor room. I came and went at both early-morning and late-evening hours and never felt uneasy. As I said above, just be aware of your surroundings.

I will certainly stay at this property again if I find myself in Jacksonville in the future.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at another Marriott R.I. earlier this year and figured this one would be similar. We were wrong. It's located on a street with several run down hotels, a Denny's and a closed Steak N Ale. The hotel doesn't seem very safe with an odd layout, more like an apt complex. If I were a single woman, I don't think I'd feel safe staying here. The breakfast buffet isn't great and was disappointing. The rooms are huge, but just ok nothing special. Ours had some patches on the ceiling that were coming off. The bed was comfortable.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mass_Traveler2007
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Not your average sized hotel room, our "suite" was huge! Super comfortable queen sized beds, and a full sized kitchen complete with stove/oven, we did not feel in the least bit cramped and it was just lovely stretching out and not tripping over each other. We stayed in this hotel 5 years ago and while it was not bad then, it sure has changed. In addition to the ample space you also get to enjoy the new upgrades like granite. Everything looks new now, thanks to some excellent renovations. Breakfast while not a premium one was certainly a substantial one. Frankly it is always a plus for us when traveling to enjoy an included breakfast and this was one of the better Marriott breakfast offerings. Great hotel, modestly priced, very clean, friendly and courteous staff, we would def stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MaeHem50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacksonville
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville JTB / Deerwood Park
#50 of 134 in Jacksonville
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Jacksonville? Share your experiences!