“Welcoming the moment we stepped in the Lobby”

Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel
Ranked #34 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Welcoming the moment we stepped in the Lobby”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We recently drove from Pennsylvania to the Florida Keys. Our first stop was in Jacksonville. This Crowne Plaza is very easily accessed from route 95. The lobby is open and inviting center-pieced with the hotel lounge and open eating area near the pool. The kids loved the pool! The pool was very unique, it is one pool that is both an indoor and outdoor pool connected by a glass wall that comes down to the waters surface. You can swim underwater (for about 3 feet I think) from the indoor pool and then surface outdoors! The restaurant was nice, my highlight at dinner was the crab soup. The low light was the crab cake; too much filler not enough crab. Breakfast was a buffet; average but good. We were just passing through but enjoyed the friendly service, beautiful atmosphere and convenient location and will keep this place in mind next time we come through this area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to rate our hotel.

Our staff at the hotel takes great pride in our facility and we are glad that you recognize their efforts. We are very proud of all the wonderful renovations that we have done including the pool.

Please be assured, we take your comments seriously and that we will make every effort to see that the concerns you raised are addressed. We always strive to provide a wonderful experience, great service and a welcoming environment for our guests. When we fall short of that goal, we want to know about it. Thanks to feedback like yours, we can address problems quickly. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department heads who oversees this area and his management team, for review of your concerns.

Mark Kane, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Matteson, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I enjoyed everything about this hotel from the location to the service. I would recommend this hotel for families, couples and business trips. It's close to the airport and a huge shopping center. My family and I enjoyed breakfast at the waffle house located steps away from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to rate our hotel.

You are correct, our location is great as you mentioned. The Rivercity Marketplace offers over 100 shops and restaurants and is only minutes away.

Again, thank you and we hope to see back soon!

Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Years ago my family traveled to Florida and had stayed at this hotel for a night. As a child I remember specifically the pool that was both indoor and outdoor w/ an underwater passage way connecting the two. While researching hotels for my wife, child and myself to stay in on our way to Florida last August, I discovered that that hotel was the Crowne Plaza - Jacksonville Airport.It may have had a different name back then, but the pool is exactly as I had remembered it. There was no doubt that we had to stay here so I eagerly booked us a room.

We actually booked an executive level room with access to the executive lounge. This room is in the back tower of rooms which is a little bit of a jaunt from the front desk/main reception area. Unfortunately, they have no bell staff to assist with luggage. If you ask, they get a maintenance person to assist or you can use one of the luggage carts on your own. This is what we did after moving our car to the back entrance closer to the bank of elevators for the executive rooms. A little inconvenience that can be corrected by hiring a bell staff that is always available. Our room however, made up for it all - it was quiet, plush and very luxuriously appointed. Even the hallways exuded peace and quiet. The executive lounge was also well appointed and offered fresh fruit, ice cream, several gourmet coffees, soda, juice and bottled water - a great perk indeed!!
Once settled in we explored the hotel and enjoyed a cocktail at the atrium bar which was well placed in the center of their beautiful atrium lobby adjoining the indoor/outdoor pool.
Unfortunately, we were unable to enjoy the pool area because of some people who decided to camp out alongside the pool watching their kids swim. That in itself was normal, but the case of beer they had next to the them the whole time made it interesting as they made their way through the entire case. Even after leaving for a couple hours and coming back down they were still there. It was disappointing to say the least.
The sleep quality and the comfort of the room were amazing, as was the room service, front desk staff and restaurant staff. My family enjoyed the stay and we will definitely stay here again and hopefully get to swim and maybe enjoy more of the Jacksonville area that seems to offer an amazing array of activities.

Room Tip: If possible, get the executive level rooms, they are well worth it and access to the lounge is a fan...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for your nice review. I was pleased to see you were booked the Executive Level. Our lounge is very comfortable and offers all the sweet treats and specialty coffees....what a nice touch! Also, our pool is one of the most used amenities in the hotel; I apologize that our other guests where "sun worshipers" and camped out. We hope you will have the opportunity in the future to enjoy it!

Thanks again for contacting us. We appreciate your business and value your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are driving through Jacksonville.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We flew into JAX and someone else had booked this place for us. It was lose to the airport. When we walked in we felt like we were on a roller coaster. The floors sloped down, up and every which way. Some areas of the floors were smooth while others were like brick or bumpy like cobblestone. Watch where you step. We stumbled once and saw another elderly couple almost take a nose dive.

We like to relax watching TV in our room. Helps us unwind and get to sleep. It is not fun watching a show you get into only to have the picture and or sound or both keep going out. This was one hotel that was a problem.

Wake up calls are what we desire at hotels. We tried to set our alarm clock in our room but for whatever reason we could not set it. We also called the front desk for a wake up call. What we got was the maid service knocking on our door telling us it is time to check out.

Would we stay at this place again. Can you say no, no and NO

Room Tip: My advice to choose a good room. Pick another hotel. Pack your own alarm clock. Don't rely on...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I am a little confused because the hotel only has marble tile throughout the entire lobby and corridors and carpwt on all guest room floors.

Regarding the alarm clocks, they are a little difficult to figure out. We understand your disappointment and appreciate the inconvenience this must have caused you.

There is no question that the service did not meet the very high standards our customers have come to expect and should continue to demand. In our effort to improve the overall quality of our service, I have met with the Front Desk and Housekeeping staff to addressed each issue.

I can promise you that the highest quality standards will be met in the future. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused as a result.

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Took an early morning flight out of Jacksonville and stayed here the night before. Very nice, quiet room with a very comfortable bed. Checked in early and went shopping in the many shops nearby as well as all the restaurants nearby. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes and was very convenient as well as less expensive paying for one night rather than 2 weeks parking at the airport. Will stay again when flying out of Jacksonville.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to rate our hotel.

Our staff at the hotel takes great pride in our facility and we are glad that you recognize their efforts. We are very proud of all the wonderful renovations that we have done and the hotel is a great place for a Park and Fly opportunity.

Again, thank you and we hope to see you guys back soon!

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I flew from AZ to JAX FL, took the Crowne Plaza Shuttle from JAX airport to the hotel to spend the night prior to leaving the next morning to board a Carnival Cruise to the Bahamas with my two granddaughters from GA. Lovely lobby, pool and gardens. Very clean room with a "nice feel" to it when you walk in. When I disembarked from the cruise at 11:00 a.m. I had a 6 hour wait for my plane from to JAX to ATL GA.I had no where to wait and no rental car so I got a ride back to the Crowne Plaza (only about 2-3 miles away) and asked if I could wait in their lobby and get their shuttle to the airport when it was time to check in to my flight. The staff were sooo obliging and kind! They even stored my luggage for me and let me use their computer to print out my boarding pass...... I would have LOVED to rent a room for a few hours so I could clean up and rest a while before the next leg of my trip, but sadly I wasn't able to do that. I've never been to a hotel that would let you do that, but I think it would be a great amenity to offer to weary travelers. I know it would have been well worth the extra expense to me, because it was soooo humid in JAX that day! Just between disembarking the cruise and getting to the hotel, I looked (and felt) like a drowned rat with no way to clean up & change clothes (which were soaked!); and, I had a 7 hour layover (3 extra due to ATL delay due to weather!) and 4 more hours of flying! By the time I arrived in AZ I had been up and traveling for a total of 23 hours and was very glad to get home to the DRY HEAT! Juanita E./Arizona

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for your wonderful response. I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel. It sounds like you and your granddaughters had a blast together as well.

We appreciate your nice comments and I will share them with my staff. Normally we would have allowed you to check in for half a day however our occupancy was quite high that day. We have several private pilots that we do that for and you are correct it is a great amenity!

Again, thank you! If your travels bring you back to Jacksonville to visit with your granddaughters we hope you will stay with us!

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Crowne Plazas we have stayed at have been a 4 and 5 star experience. All except this hotel near JAX Airport.

We stay at many hotels and sometimes we find problems yet we try to give them a second or third chance. Over three months, we stayed at this hotel 4 times and had trouble ALL 4 times.

We had the shower head falling off one time. Another time our shower head was so clogged and had mold on it. We had trouble with our phone each time. 3 of the 4 times we never got the wake up call we requested. After a couple times no wake up call and front desk staff giving us excuses after excuses, we tried the phone when we checked in and had to get maintenance to repair the phone.

The first time we stayed our TV kept going out intermittently. Front desk tried to say it was the weather messing with the satellite. Bright afternoon sunshiny day and not a cloud in the sky yet the reception would repeatedly go out briefly every 5 to 10 minutes. And this goes on all night long.

Management seems to not care about the guest at all. In each room there is a guest directory of the hotel amenities. It advertises, in a few places, the Biscotti Cafe open from 6 am to 10 pm. Yet the Café is only open from 7 am to 12 noon. Front desk staff say they reported guest complaints about this and other misleading and false adverting for over two years now to hotel management and still nothing has been done to correct false information given to he guests.

Staff has also said the phone plates on the phones in the rooms give false info to guests and management said they will fix the phones for over one year now. Staff also said the owners will not spend the money to fix the satellite system and some staff even tried to say no one has ever complained about the reception on the TV. Other guests I spoke with said they complained a few times and got the same story from the staff.

There are other problems observed like, one time, trash cans overflowing when we checked in and the same trash piled up outside the parking lot door when we checked out.

Crowne Plaza is known for their excellence and high quality standards. Not sure why this Crowne Plaza does not adhere to those standards. Not updating or correcting the guest directory in each hotel room and continue to give the guests false information for more than two years, along with other long term ongoing problems, simply goes to show the management at this hotel cares little about the guest.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RedTraveler23
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
It is with great regret and concern that we received your letter today detailing the few mishaps that you experienced with our service. I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel staff. We understand your disappointment and appreciate the inconvenience this must have caused you.

There is no question that the service did not meet the very high standards our customers have come to expect and should continue to demand. In our effort to improve the overall quality of our service, I have met with the immediate department heads and can assure you that we have addressed each issue with our staff members.

I can promise you that the highest quality standards will be met in the future because protecting our reputation in the market is a key priority for us. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused as a result.

Mark Kane