“Excellent Accommodations, Helpful Staff, Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard

Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard
Ranked #56 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Wayne, NJ
“Excellent Accommodations, Helpful Staff, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Residence Inn has always been my family's first choice because of their two-bedroom suites. This property remains well-maintained, with a very helpful and attentive staff. Fitness room is perfect. Property is clean and quiet. Jackie in Housekeeping was wonderful during our recent stay! However: it is time for Marriott to revamp its 2-Bedroom Suites and change the style from just one Queen bed in each bedroom to a King in each room, or one King in one room and two Doubles in the 2nd room. This style of just one Queen in each bedroom is outdated and does not work for today's traveling family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fitzroy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Wayne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay experience at the Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, I am very pleased to hear that we did meet your expectation and we look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.
If I can be of any assistance for future reservations please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Email: fitzroymason@remingtonhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Naples, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Since the last time I stayed here the maintenance has really slipped. A door handle literally fell off, the shower head and downspout were loose, one bathtub drained very slowly - had to shower in 2" of water, and one of the sliding doors on one closet had loose moulding exposing you hand to the mirror edge.

As the hotel back up against Butler Blvd, and our room did, #329, it is also relatively noisy.

I have avoided Residence Inns the last year when possible due to general maintenance issues. That issue appears to have become more widespread.

Will not be back.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms that face Butler Blvd. Very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fitzroy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear TwinCS

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay experience at the Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, I am very disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectation and I want to offer my sincere apology.
Please know that we are taking corrective measures to address these issues and concerns to ensure that our future guests will not be impacted in the same manner.
We would like the opportunity to regain your loyalty, please feel free to call or email me to discuss these matters so that a resolution can be reached.

Irmo, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked one night at this hotel on our way down to Port Canaveral from S. Carolina for a Saturday departure on a cruise. We have stayed at many Residence Inns and usually find them clean, comfortable and roomy enough for our family of four. We found the room to be no-frills and had requested a roll away on check in. When we arrived back from dinner, the roll away had not been delivered. We waited almost an hour for the front desk clerk - who apparently was the only person on duty that evening - to bring it up. As my son was pulling out the sofa for his bed, an old red bandana was under the couch and he was rather disgusted upon finding it. We gave it to the clerk when she delivered the roll away. The next morning, my husband spoke with the manager and he basically gave us some Marriott points for any inconvenience. He didn't seem too concerned that our stay was not up to the usual Marriott standard. I would not stay at this Residence Inn again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fitzroy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Karen L

Baton rouge, la
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Myself and 5 friends just stayed here from Thursday July 17-Sunday July 20 2014. We drove 10 hours from louisiana to attend a wedding on Friday about 30 minutes from the hotel. We chose this location because of good reviews and it being in between the wedding venue, the beach, and restaurants/shopping.
First of all, we were given 2 different forms of confirmation saying that the hotel has charged $572.91. Instead when we checked the card, $640 was charged to the account. We went to the front desk and only then we were told about a $20 a day damage deposit which would be refunded when we check out. Okay? I can understand that but why not at least tell us about it? They don't think $70 makes a difference?
So then when we leave Sunday, all of the sudden the entire charge disappears, like nothing was taken off. We thought it was a mistake and would wait to check again the next day.
On Monday July 21, we look at the account..they charged the original $572.91 AND $640!! So now our account is way in the negatives! We are college students who spend a lot of money on our travels for a wedding and to stay here, so it is VERY inconvenient that they keep freely charging our card how they want!

Not to mention housekeepers forgot something new everyday! First, trash bags and handsoap, then towels!
And one housekeeper took it opon herself to take my pandora necklace out of it's box an try it on and leave it balled up on the counter!
Only good thing about this place is the breakfast and location.
I can gaurantee we will not be staying here again!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jld543
Dear JlD543

Rome, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have always had good experiences with Marriot properties, so this was a disappointment to us.

We were traveling for a funeral. The first evening when we returned to the hotel, ready to bathe children and put them to bed, we were told that the water was going to be turned off to fix a pipe. They told us to wait 45 minutes before bathing so we didn't get caught with no water halfway through. Since we had tired young children, we went ahead and began to fill the tub, hoping to get enough water to bathe the youngest two. We were able to, but the second floor lost water immediately and my other relatives were unable to get their children bathed. The water was restored quickly, but in the future it would make more sense to allow people to run some water first when noted that they have young children and it is getting late. We were stopped on our way in to the hotel to be told about the water, so this would have been a great time for them to have responded after we asked about baths, "Hey, fill a bath for your kids first and we'll turn it off in five minutes." Anyway, this was a minor inconvenience compared to what happened the next night...

At 2:15 am, the fire alarm went off. When it didn't stop after a moment, we woke all the children (kids can amazingly sleep through the pitch of a fire alarm) and took them outside. The entire hotel, all buildings, had the alarm going off. The fire department arrived 15 minutes later and then left after about 15 minutes - with the alarm still going off. Apparently they couldn't fix it. No staff member from Marriot Residence Inn ever came out to the front of the building to update us on what was going on, that it was a false alarm but the system was broken, etc. It would seem that some guests were told of this, because they came out front and spread the word. Never was there an apology from anyone on the staff about the fire alarm, which continued going for two straight hours. We didn't get back to sleep until after 4am. This is ridiculous, especially considering many people were probably driving a fair distance the next day. I know my mother had already been sleep deprived from staying overnight in the hospital with her dying father for nearly two weeks, and this night that she might have been able to finally get some sleep was interrupted by the 2-hour alarm. Fortunately, the section of our room with the fold-out sleeper sofa had no alarm siren in it (well, it had one, but for some reason it wasn't going off) and some other guests at the hotel who said they worked for ADT passed out duct tape and told us to fold up a washcloth and tape it over the siren, which would muffle it enough to not damage out hearing even if we still could hear it, and maybe we could get some sleep. I was fortunate to have a pair of earplugs from my brother, who works on construction sites, but even with the washcloth trick plus earplugs, I could still hear the siren in my room. There should be some kind of override in place so that human common sense can come into play and stop an unnecessary alarm in the middle of the night. Somebody there should have had the authority and ability to at least cut the wire... which could then be repaired the next day (not really causing a fire safety risk by cutting the wires, because really, after such a long false alarm, would anyone really be able to tell if a real fire started in the hotel? No, because the alarm would have been going off anyway.).

The worst part of it is this: when we asked for a refund the next morning, the staff told us that they were not issuing refunds for that night to anyone. That is absolutely unacceptable that a hotel would have a malfunction preventing guests from sleeping for two hours in the middle of the night and not only never make efforts to apologize, but to not grant refunds. The right thing to do here would have been to automatically issue everyone a refund for that night - without us even having to ask. That they would not comp the rooms for that night even when asked is despicable. Another family member paid for our room and will be contacting Marriot directly about this. Many others voiced their plans to do the same. This hotel is going to be issuing many refunds after the corporate office hears the complaints roll in.

The housekeeping and breakfast staff were great, though - very friendly. But our main reason for staying here was to be able to sleep, and that was made very difficult.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fitzroy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Erin

Delray
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Friendly staff, clean, spacious suites and right around the corner from the Town Center shopping and dining area. Each night they offer a free wine and beer happy hour, plus a buffet style dinner! Excellent property!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy C
Fitzroy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Amy C.

Dayton, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

First of all, after making a reservation and noting I was using Govt Rates, found out that this hotel only accepts Govt DOD employees IDs only. They do not accept Fed Contractor IDs, even though on official business, nor do they accept Military IDs for the Govt Rates. Only was I was able to stay was to contact Marriott and they had to call the hotel. I was able to stay only part of my stay however, and went to a competitor hotel for rest of my stay. Anyways, the location is a driving distance to shopping, not walking. The quality of the rooms is relatively current, but the hotel look is out of date. Pool area also has a BBQ area and basketball area for kids. The pool area can be packed on the weekends and a little loud.

Room Tip: Get something near the main office if possible, overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business