“Don't Stay Here”

Residence Inn Jacksonville Butler Boulevard
Ranked #70 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Just got done staying here for one week. We stayed at this hotel because I was with my grandmother, and she had stayed here before. I had been in Jacksonville back in March and stayed at the Staybridge (which couldn't have been better), but I figured what's one week. First of all the place is outdated. You are not getting what you are paying for. You will pay a premium to stay somewhere that saw its best days back in the 90s. Second, our room had black mold in the air vents (which is a big deal for me as I suffer from severe allergies). We checked all vents, there was mold on the vents in both bedrooms and the living room. Maintenance had to come fix the hot water in the shower while we were here as it wouldn't get above luke-warm, and one of our phones didn't work. We went to do our laundry and not only was it expensive ($1.75 for the washer and another $1.75 for the dryer) but also we discovered beer had been poured in all four dryers and the can was tossed in one of the washers. The entire hotel is in BAD need of a renovation. I will say that the people who work here are extremely friendly - especially the housekeeper, and the front desk staff, but it's not enough to overcome the hotel itself. Unless they do a complete renovation, I wouldn't stay here again if someone paid me. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Staybridge down the street. That whole hotel is brand new with granite countertops, flat screen tvs, nice beds, and best of all No Moldy Air Vents! Our rate there was actually cheaper, the hotel is basically an entire class above this, it's just as convenient, and the people there are friendly too (I actually looked into switching there halfway through this stay, but they were booked).

• Stayed: May 2010

Reviewed 9 May 2010

The hotel's location is pretty good if yu want to be close to the outdoor shopping mall and butler blvd. UNF is not that far away either.
We stayed two nights. I wanted a 2- bedroom but was only able to get a single bedorom suite. Size was good enough for the lil ones to run around (downstairs guest werent too happy about that). The room was clean. Was a bit suprised that housekeeping leaves early (before 8 pm druing the week). The front desk staff was very attentive and personally made sure I got what I needed.
The folwong day housekeeping did a great job at cleaning up after us.(kids always make a mess and we were in a hurry to go to the event that morning). Kuddos to them.
Breakfast could have been better. Some more fresh fruit, fresher bagels, and a lil more giest friendly attendant would have been nice.
All in all the hotel is a good deal. i recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank payochi
Reviewed 4 March 2010

- The wireless internet is very slow
- Do not get a room that faces the pool if you like peace and quiet. People tend to congregate around the pool in the evening for the nightly socials
- The location is very convenient to the St. John Town Center shopping area

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Traveling for business, I stayed at this hotel over 20 times for about 50 total nights (not by choice) over a 9 month period. While the staff is amazing, caring, attentive, and will bend over backwards for you, the hotel is in desperate need of renovation. EVERY room has at least one loose fixture just dangling in the wall, the beds are rock hard with flat pillows, televisions are at least 15 years old, and connecting to the "high speed" internet access sometimes makes you wish you had a dial up account so you could get work done. Given that the breakfast and happy hour are included for free, one cannot complain about them. Free beer is definitely a plus. There are much nicer hotels in the area that now have competitive rates.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Very nice hotel for the price. 5 minutes down the road is a huge shopping center and its also fairly close to the beach. The breakfast was a little weak, but overall not bad. Single room was huge with good air flow

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My family stayed at this hotel for 4 days. While my husband was there on business, I stayed in the hotel with three children under the age of 5. What a delightful experience! The kitchen met our needs for preparing meals. The rooms were clean, bright, and very comfortable. I'm a light sleeper and I found the hotel to be very quiet - no road noise, etc. The property is well connected - you can be at the beach or downtown in less than 15 minutes. The staff is expceptional - everyone was so friendly to us from the maids to the front desk to the sales staff. We lived in this hotel for a week and found everything to be just wonderful. The hotel is an excellent value with an extensive breakfast each morning and a manager's reception each night. We could easily have made a meal out of the manager's reception in the evenings. I'll give them my business again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank sw01Knoxville_TN
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Let me first say that I'm not one of these people that is bitter and always reviews negative. I just reviewed an amazing experience at Embassy Suites in Concord, NC. However, I was really unhappy with this hotel (and that's not normally the case).

I typically do alot of research to make sure I end up in a place I like. Not this time.

First off, I had stayed at an Embassy Suites the night before for $125.00 in a prime location. I stayed here the next night for $149.00 in a location with NO ammenities and a much lesser hotel.

There are NO restaurants nearby from what I found and a convenience store was where we got dinner since we expected there to be a place right nearby. Our mistake.

We got in around 10:30 pm just for an overnight early morning departure to complete our trip home. At check-in, the clerk told me there was a $100.00 non-refundable fee for our pet. Now our pet is very house broken. I told her "mam, are you serious, I just stayed at a nicer hotel for the last week and paid $50.00 for the week for him, and now I pay $100 fee for a 12 hour stay?" I couldnt get off the hook. So we ended up paying $250.00 for the 12 hours we were there. Absurd! So, my recommendation, if you have a pet, dont tell them you have a pet. I was penalized for being honest. This hotel is EASY not to tell them and get away with it. Some good honestly did me. I told them out of honest and never figured I'd have to pay that much for that short of a stay. The fact that the hotel was unwilling to negotiate this tells me alot about their customer service.

So, now that we have that out of the way, what about the rest of the stay?

Well, we requested a King sized bed on the first floor. At check-in I was informed that our requests were met (great!). However, upon check-in, I noticed our bed was a full size bed. Not even a queen sized bed. It was simply too late for me to complain since I was so exhausted from the long drive that day.

I figured I wasn't going to get very far since the clerk was too interested in talking to her boyfriend or friends that were hanging out outside the hotel. I noticed the hotel was fairly empty which was an immediate sign. I also noticed that it seems that some locals seem to hang out in the parking lot at night (maybe friends of the desk clerk).

As we looked around the room we noticed blood splatters on the curtains and bathroom door (uh, why are there blood splatters on the curtains?)

At checkout, I left a complaint for the manager. Two days later I've not heard anything from anyone.

My recommendation is to look for another place. It's dirty, and VERY VERY overpriced. It's not dirty on the surface but when you start really looking down into things it is.

Again, let me state, this hotel is VERY overpriced. For comparison, search "Embassy Suites Concord, NC" and compare it to this hotel. That hotel is AMAZING and in a VERY nice touristy area and still cheaper.

The staff at this hotel are not willing to "work" with you and we were told breakfast was from 6:30 - 7:00. Obviously I knew this was wrong but didnt even begin to ask questions since the clerk was obviously too interested in talking to her friends.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)