Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville
  • Pool
US$401
US$356
  • Pool
Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites(Jacksonville)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$103
US$95
Travelocity
Good 3.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Our family stayed at this Homewood Suites for 2 weeks. We chose it because they allow dogs on the property. The staff was helpful, the suites are spacious, the pool is fairly large and there are plenty of chairs, and the breakfast was always plentiful. However, none of the positives could make up for the fact that the rooms are extremely musty and damp--so much so that after we left when I unpacked our suitcases all the clothes came out feeling wet and sticky. We thought perhaps the problem was just with our room, but after moving to another room found the issue was the same. The walls and the carpet were always damp--very unpleasant.

We love Homewood suites and choose these properties whenever they're available, but this hotel is not up to their standards.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the walkway between the buildings or the parking lot on the east side. There is a busy bus stop outside the rooms on the street to the west, and the parking lot outside the doors there is often busy with people hanging around waiting for the bus.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear StoryMom,

Thank you for staying at my hotel and for taking the time to write to TripAvisor, your feedback is welcome and appreciated.
I am having a difficult time remembering you and your family, we have many guests with dogs and stay here for extended periods as well. I must ask if during the two weeks you brought this condition to our attention? We are an older property with a few aging air conditioning units; when they are not operating at peak efficiency the humidity in the room will increase; this would also account for the increased odor you mentioned. My maintenance staff is top notch and whenever this type of issue is brought to their attention they move very fast to fix the problem or call out our repair vendor. We rarely get this type of complaint and I am a bit surprised by it. If you did report it and we did not respond I apologize and will look into it.
I take the time every day write an email to every guest after they depart thanking them for their business just as long as there is an email address in the reservation. In this letter I request feedback about their experience to see if we met or exceeded their expectations and if we did not I would be happy to make it right. Did you receive an email from me?
Storymom, thank you for selecting my hotel for your lodging needs. Please know we are preparing for a major renovation beginning in June. We hope to have it finished by October and when completed we will have the most up to date hotel in Jacksonville; please come by for a site tour later this year and see for yourself.

Russell Brown CHA

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Let me start by saying that we choose Hilton properties 9 out of 10 times, and if Homewood Suites is an option where we need to be, it's our go-to brand. This is the 6th Homewood Suites that we've stayed at in the past 2 years and by far the bottom of the barrel! We stayed in the first building, room 122 and it was horrible. It smelled old and musty and it's proximity to the road made for 2 very loud nights. Unfortunately, very loud neighbors with obvious domestic issues arrived in the middle of our second night and their yelling and slamming of doors added nothing but torture to the existing bad situation. To most, the easy thing would be to call the front desk and ask to move, but when you're traveling with a 2.5 year old, that's not the most convenient option. We were very alarmed when we were approached at our car by what appeared to be a homeless drug addict asking for money, very scary situation when you're holding a baby in your arms and you're relying on your hotel to provide security. I realize that the property has undergone renovations and it's not that it doesn't look nice, it's just that many things were overlooked and the property is tired and worn out. Out of every Homewood Suites we have ever stayed at, this was the first with exterior corridors which we decided was the reason so many of the problems exist. It has a very "motel" feel and that's not what I'm looking for when I'm traveling with my family. The location was good, very easy access to I-95. Had potential, but we won't be back. We just felt like we were at a "shady, unsafe motel that smelled bad."

Room Tip: NOT room 122!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Nextstop_somewhere,

Thank you for staying at my hotel and I am sorry we were unable to exceed your expectations. You and I have had several email communications since your departure. But I need to point out that during your stay you never contacted a Team member or management to alert us of your issues. Unless we are informed of a problem we can not fix the problem. In our correspondence you stated you did not contact the front desk about your issues that you expected us to know what is going on at every moment and not rely on a guest to report an issue.
It is unfortunate you had the experience you did in the parking lot with the panhandler but this is a very rare occurrence, but again if you had told someone he was in the parking lot we would have investigated it, called the roving security company or even the police but we were not advised and unable to assist.
This hotel will under go a major renovation beginning the second quarter of this year; the tired look will be remedied and we will have the most up to date hotel in the market by September. I truly hope you will give us a try when in the area next fall, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

On four trips driving between NY and south FL this year and 2011, this has been our favorite place to stay a night - Hilton Homewood Suites at 8737 Baymeadows Road, Jacksonville, Fl.
Clean, efficient, comfortable; the suites are furnished with everything you need and well-designed with a bath and dressing-room, bedroom, and den/kitchen/dining area separated from the bedroom by twin doors - useful if, like us, you have a sometimes yowling cat.
The staff is friendly, tv, internet, and breakfast very good. The hotel is handsome and just off I-95.

Room Tip: try for a first floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank LIwren

Dear Llwren,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while transiting the Jacksonville area. Your recent letter to me was very much appreciated and I shared it with my entire Team during our morning huddle.
I look forward to your next vist.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at the Homewood Suites for 3 nights, wow what a great place to stay. Rooms were exceptionally clean and well provided, high end furniture and linens. Loved the idea that a hot breakfast was served and two of our nights there supper was served. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Barnie9
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Barnie9,

Thank you for your very kind comments and enthusiastic review. Your comments were shared with my entire team today and they responded with a loud cheer.

See you next time you are passing through Jacksonville, Florida.

Russell Brown CHA

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Wonderful staff, all the way around. Every night, every shift! I have 3 out of the 4 names
of the personell that were on shift, let me just than Samuel Hussey, Melissa Elgersma, John Grand Gerard for making every request happen. Rarely do I go to a hotel, and find awesome service over the phone, and in person. Thank you for taking good care of me on my business trip!

Room Tip: 425 was mostly quiet
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear Smtlr14,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while in Jacksonville, FL. My Team and I take great pride in providing every guest with exceptional service before, during and after their stay if needed.

Thank you for your very kind comments; they will be shared with the Team during our next morning Huddle.