“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #94 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Thousand Oaks
“Relaxing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed at Homewoods because my husband had business in jax. The room was dated but clean and comfortable. I really want to comment on the wonderful staff. Everyday we were greeted with a smile and the staff were nice to all the guests. We stay at Homewood suites because we have two young children and we like to have the separate living space. My children loved the basketball court and they enjoyed the pool. The whirlpool by the pool was not working but it was a minor thing. We left smiling and I can't say enough how the staff's personal attention really makes a place! The staff deserves 5 stars and other hotels should take note how their employees can make or break a place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kareng_1967

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Came to this hotel as for work purposes. Hotel had two meeting rooms they had just enough room for all 20 of us. Very accomodating rooms were nice with a decent balcony about the only thing that i didnt like was no chair in balconies which didnt make any sense to me. Other than that everything was fine could have used a better shower. It was a Hilton room with a motel shower. Pool was nice and would think about taking my family here for vacation. Breakfast was nice and even though i did not eat dinner there i heard good things from my colleagues. Enjoyed my overall stay in Jacksonville Fla and in this hotel. Location to restaurants and other amenities within walkin distance was decent also.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank stuckncarolinas
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We are currently relocating to JAX, and in need of an extended stay facility for a few weeks. With my wife, we decided to visit an apartment at Homewood Suites.which is conveniently located.
There were 2 women at the reception desk. One barked "what's your name?" I said that I had no reservation and we simply wanted to see one aprtment. Silence, she looked another way and appeared unconcerned.
After a few minutes, the second woman (who had been on the phone) said more politely "what's your name, Sir?" New explaination. Then a long discussion between both women, to decide who was going to take us to an apartment.
The one who took us for the visit was unmotivated and complained that the other "her manager" was doing nothing.
After such an experience we decided to leave immediately this hotel.
Thus my review is not about the rooms or apartments, but only on this unfriendly, unacceptable attitude at reception desk

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JP M
Millersville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

The facility is conveniently located for exploring the Jacksonville area and provides good basic accommodations. If you are looking for something that is sparkling new without any signs of wear, then this isn't the place for you. If you don't mind looking past that you'll find roomy suites, a complementary hot breakfast, free wifi, and a very friendly staff (they were universally a great bunch).

While located in the heart of a commercial zone and near some busy roads, the grounds are attractive and the facility is fairly quiet (we heard very loud frogs instead of traffic). It can be difficult to get to Baymeadows Rd. during rush hour when everyone goes home, so you may want to find an alternative route turning right on Baymeadows Way if you need to leave around 5pm (we saw a car accident one day when someone tried to turn left onto Baymeadows Way from the drive next to the hotel). At other times of the day there were no problems at all getting out of the hotel and hopping quickly onto 95.

My only complaint is that the mattress was a little saggy for me, but I still slept fine.

There seemed to be an even split between business travelers and vacationers, which was fine with me. Business travelers generally seem to be a quieter bunch.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MicahDF
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

Theses rooms were almost breath taking at first glance but when I looked closer it was a mess. My balcony pooled with rain water and had 2 hornets nest on the balcony. I found I had hornets in my room because the balcony door didn't seal correctly. There was a hole in my bathroom wall where the towel rack used to be and they didn't bother to patch it. One night went without hot water even after it was reported took over 12hrs to get it resolved. Wouldn't stay again, Embasy suites and marriot near by looked nice!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank LoneTraveler401
Quispamsis, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

This property is A+ in appearance and upkeep. Nice pool and hot tub. Staff is super friendly and always anxious to help out. In a great neighborhood. Even has a water hose to clean the car when required on extended stays. Hot Breakfast is good. Rooms are spacious and bedroom can be closed off from living/kitchen area. All popular TV channels. (ESPN, GOLF, NBC Sports, movie channels, etc.) The kitchen is fully equipped. Dishwasher, stove, Microwave and ice making fridge.
For the price, the best suites I have ever stayed in. Can't go wrong.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LV2TOUR
LAFAYETTE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I booked a two bedroom suite; it was very clean except since the facility is old ( I was informed by the desk they are slatted to renovated) they did not have the "raised" toilet seats that the more modern establishments are equiped with. I was traveling with my 90 year old father who could not use the old style low toilet seat so I had to go to a Super Walmart to buy one (told desk no reaction). This was the first establishment that I ever had this problem with, non ADA compliant. We had a great breakfast the first day with 2 enthuastic ladies manning and 5 days later it was sparse, seemingly 1 substitute manning the breakfast. My wife pealed a "hard ball" orange for fruit. I made plain waffles (toppings & yougart gone). The day we left the resupply truck arrived. I joked with the person manning the bar if they would be giving Dennys food vouchers. There was no designated truck parking so one took up the seven car places-brought up to desk. Empathy for the quest was not showing. Manager quite defensive during an email exchange. One of his retorts was "when finished I am certain it will not be to your liking for someone as sophisticated from New York as yourself" and I would be much more comfortable at the St. John Town Center facility. I am used to seeing a Hilton manager mingling with the quests asking about my stay. St. Johns had no vacancies since Thanksgiving according to an team member. Could go on, but why!

Room Tip: Ask if renovation complete before considering.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KIM R
Westerly34, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Kim R,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Jacksonville. We have communicated several times before you posted this review. First I want to thank you for taking the time to do so but I also wish to remind you that our property meets ADA requirements for the age of the hotel. You did not book an accessible room therefore the toilet was not raised. Had you requested an accessible room you would have been placed in one as required by the new ADA regulations.
While it was unfortunate the truck parked by your room and you have not replied to my questions in previous emails. If I am to make things right I need to have answers.
From the tone of the emails you sent to me you seemed as if anything I could or would do would not be enough. Additionally, your disparaging remarks about Southeners was not well received by my staff.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit with us, and we too are a very busy hotel; we enjoy one of the highest occupancies in Jacksonville, we must be doing something right.