“excellent staff; very noisy stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville

Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville
Ranked #93 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
charlotte, NC
“excellent staff; very noisy stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

The staff at this hotel is wonderful and will go above and beyond. The hotel itself is showing its age, but it is extremely clean. Hilton should really put out the money to renovate and live up to the excellent management. I have stayed here multiple times and not noticed the road noise, but this time it kept me awake most of the night. This is the first time I've stayed on the third floor or in a room with a balcony, so maybe that made a difference. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for the excellent service, but if you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing the courtyard and without a balcony.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Albany, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

We were hoping to find a new hotel in Jacksonville. We come to Jax alot. The hotel we've been using for years had been changing and not for the better... So we checked into the Homewood Suites on the next trip and were pleasantly surprised. The property is pretty nice and the service was good. They were pet friendly which was a definite plus. Although we had no problems, security was visible late into the night and very early in the mornings. We've stayed here two more times since the initial visit and the customer service has been consistent. Management is very welcoming! We look forward to spending many nights there.

Room Tip: I always stay on a ground floor with my pets and close to exit doors so as not to bother other guest...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Just returned from Family Weekend at UNF. When looking for our hotel room, I needed something pet friendly and with a pool and hot tub. We rented the 1 bdrm suite with king and pull out couch as we were traveling with our 2 1/2 year old grandson. I read alot of reviews about needing to be refurbished and rooms entering from the outside, not sure what thats about. None of the rooms entered from the outside in the main building where the check in area is. Our room looked like it was recently renovated as it was in very good shape. We had a great breakfast each morning with everything from cereal to scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. My only complaint was 1 morning there were some things that I guess were to be cheese omelettes and they were like little hard frisbees. My other complaint was that we wanted a hot tub and this one was messed up and low on water the entire time we were there and I stayed from a Thurs to a Monday. We repeatedly went in and ask if they would fix the hot tub as it was below the skimmer. Finally on Sunday a kid who worked there and had no idea what he was doing, filled it with water, but unfortunately didn't turn the skimmer pump on, so the water just got hotter and hotter to the point no one could get in the hot tub and it was dangerously hot!! So, not sure I'd stay here again based on that if I find a different pet friendly hotel, but overall, not a bad trip. Maids were great too! Came in every day and had the room all cleaned up before we got back each evening!! Oh and I can't say enough about this location!! Walk to all the shopping and dining you want, it is all just out the front door!! VERY nice area!! And 1 mile from The Univ of N. Florida!!

Room Tip: If dogs barking bothers you, you might ask to be placed away from people with animals as we could he...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was my first trip to Jacksonville in quite awhile and I decided to get away from the Naval Base and be in the Baymeadows area. I chose the Baymeadows Homewood Suites. Located right next to the 95 exit, it made for easy arrivals and departures.

My first surprise was that the hotel is actually made up of several smaller building units, each having many rooms. I was directed to Building 3, which was on the backside of the hotel area. Though this was a nice treat, as I am more accustomed to hotels in one building, the drawback to this arrangement was the walk from Building 3 to the Main Lodge for coffee, breakfasts, and the dinners. Visitors with any form of walking issues may want to steer clear of the more distant buildings.

The room itself was average. Nothing took my breath away. I have stayed in many newer or recently refurbished Homewoods and this one needs a face-lift in the rooms. I can't speak to all the rooms, but the one I received was needing a change. There was rust in the bathtub/shower and there were spots where the caulking was coming up. The decor of the room is older, but the stone countertops throughout the kitchen and bathroom were nice.

The two televisions were flat screens with HDMI hookups, approximately 32" in size. My bedside clock radio was not working, but I had my own I travel with. I also had no dishwasher detergent, either automatic or hand wash. I found the King size bed in my room to be very hard. That was strange for Homewood. I usually love their beds.

On my first full day, I waved off the maid as I didn't need service after one day. On my second day, I returned after meetings by 5pm and my room was still not serviced. I thought that was pretty strange and I went hunting for the attendant. Not finding anyone, I returned to my room and got changed for the light dinner. A knock on my door by 5:30 was room service. She had no cart with her, but had some coffee packets. She gave me the filters and asked if I needed anything else. Without a cart, I wasn't sure what she had planned, so I replied no...

At checkout I waited to ask a question about my receipt, but after a couple minutes of waiting, I decided to just head to the airport. There was no one at the desk. That happens, I understand it. But it ended my average stay with average service.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank orionreplay
bluffton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

The location of this hotel is great! Next to St. John town center. The walls and floors are thin though. We could hear everything going on for example the kids jumping up and down on the beds above us and the dog staying next door. Didn't know they allowed dogs if I would of know that I would of brought mine. Breakfast was nice. Staff was friendly. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: request the top floor outside room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kuuipodee2
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is our 3 stay at this location in 4 years . We come to Jacksonville for a yearly family get together.

Each year there are little things that make the stay not perfect however not grossly unpleasant.

The rooms are dated the ceiling fan squeaked in the bedroom and the sliding closet door wasn't fully on the track on one side.
The room was clean and comfortable . The personal quite friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank robin s
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

If I could give this place a negative rating I certainly would. I have stayed at this place for two weeks; my first week wasn’t that bad. It is true that the minute you walk in the room smells musty (but this is the case with most hotels in the Baymedows area, I am not sure why) the rooms were okay not clean as you could see spider webs on the ceiling. For a lack of better choice I decided to stay with them again for a second time, bad choice. I found a roach in roaming thru my bag the morning after I checked in. I called and requested them to change my room and move my stuff. That was nice that they did that for me, however when they moved my stuff they moved the roach with it. Instead of taking care of the problem by getting the room inspected for further bugs or getting rid of the bug problems they have the problem follow me. I called the front office that night informing of the inconvenience, her response (I think her name was Alisha) was more like “Ok and you want me to do what with it?” there was no apology for it no compassion, no emotions whatsoever in regards to my two nights of wasted sleep. At this point I asked specifically to be contacted by the Manager to talk about this. The next day I walk in, I had no call from the manager neither was my room serviced. The roach I had killed myself (so proud of me and feel so brave) was still at the same place I had left it. After calling the front again (this time the person was sorry and helpful) and expressing my unhappiness over the issue the manager called me not once but twice and sent room service right away; however it was too late by then the damage was done. The impression of this property will never recover in my eyes. One of the worst places I have stayed in so far. To her credit she did offer me 2000 (an average Hilton points for a night stay is 40,000 points FYI) Hilton points and a day of comp stay for my inconvenience but I decided not to take it. I would stay away from this place and someone from the Hilton offices need to give this place a look or shut it down for taking up useless space.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business