“Frequent traveler feedback”

Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Jacksonville
Ranked #97 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 9 February 2013

This hotel and its staff have been through a very difficult transition, from the Hilton chain to the Wyndham. The inevitable difficulties were, however, miimized by an excellent local staff, who made every effort to make the guests comfortable. For the last two years, I have stayed in this facility more than any other guest, having been named "Guest of the Year" in 2011. There had previously been too many management changes, but the current general manager, Janet Lee, is outstanding.

One criticism of this hotel is the poor quality of the dinner, which is part of their advertised amenities. They could improve the menu significantly. A second item is their policy to not deliver a newspaper (which is supplied in the lobby) to the guest rooms. Considering my frequency of stay, I would expect this to be done daily, which is typical of the upscale hotel chains (even Holiday Inn's Candlewood Suites does this!). They did this for years, and then abruptly stopped, with the rationale that "it created too much trash," which is ridiculous. Last, when you have neighbors in the room above or next door, you feel like you are in the same room with them. The construction of the buildings appears to be very cheaply done, with little soundproofing.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel New Years Eve. I rented the fireplace suite for a nice romantic evening after we came back to the hotel after our NYE party.
There was a cockroach belly up in the kitchen, a few strips of toilet paper left on the roll (housekeeping should've just changed it) and no log in the fireplace.
I call the front desk to inform then I had no log and would like to get one. We were told by the front desk that they don't have access to get a log and ill have to wait until tomorrow morning.
I advise her we are checking out in the am. We point out we paid more for a fireplace room and its ridiculous that there was no log in the fireplace. She proceeds to ask why we are so concerned about the log and asks why doesn't out thermostat work? WHAT?!?!? That's not the point.
I requested a message be left for the manager. It wasn't.
When I went to check out I asked for a manager and was told there wasn't one. I asked for a message to be left and to be contacted by a manager. I have not been. I asked to be refunded a portion or compensated for the inconvenience of not being able to enjoy the room like intended. I was told they cannot do that.
I've stayed at this hotel before and never had a problem but I will not stay here again because 1. I cannot get over the ignorant comment made by the night front desk person asking what the big deal was and didn't our thermostat work and 2. Refusal to send this issue to a manager 3. As a silver member, which means I stay at Hilton hotels a lot, I was by greeted or treated like other Hilton Hotels do with a thank you an welcome back.
I must add that we did get late checkout which was 1pm - but that is typical of a Hilton Hotel. When I did got to checkout I did ask the front desk if I could extend that until 1:30pm and they did agree.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Meanderin
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I always stay at Hilton properties when ever possible and Homewood Suites are my favorite. On a 10-scale I have never found a Homewood Suites score less than 6 and many score as high as 10. This hotel scores a 7 in my opinion and with a few slight improvements it could become a 9. Here are my opinions of this property:

Good: Room cleanliness is above average but it has been too long since the drapes and bed sprads have been laundered. The bed was VERY comfortable and the bed linens were clean. The full sized fridg was very nice but please see "Poor" regarding the balance of the kitchen.

Fair: The price for this room is slightly over the room quality and hotel amenities for a weekend rate. If the "Managers Reception" were stretched to include weekends this property would enjoy a much higher rating. Internet connectivity is slow and the room did not have an nistruction card how to sign on.

Poor: Water pressure in the bathroom is poor forcing residents to stay longer in the shower to rinse off. I did not appreciate the note telling me that sheets would be changed every 3 days. I am sure that meant for guests staying that long or longer but I found myself wondering if that meant calendar days regardless of who stayed in that room. All of the kitchen dishes were in the dishwasher and the cabinet front for the kitchen sink was missing so the garbage disposal and ploumbing were evident and nasty looking.

Room Tip: This Homewood Suites is an "Inside Access" hotel so all guests must go through the lobby...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2012

The staff at this hotel is wonderful and will go above and beyond. The hotel itself is showing its age, but it is extremely clean. Hilton should really put out the money to renovate and live up to the excellent management. I have stayed here multiple times and not noticed the road noise, but this time it kept me awake most of the night. This is the first time I've stayed on the third floor or in a room with a balcony, so maybe that made a difference. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for the excellent service, but if you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing the courtyard and without a balcony.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We were hoping to find a new hotel in Jacksonville. We come to Jax alot. The hotel we've been using for years had been changing and not for the better... So we checked into the Homewood Suites on the next trip and were pleasantly surprised. The property is pretty nice and the service was good. They were pet friendly which was a definite plus. Although we had no problems, security was visible late into the night and very early in the mornings. We've stayed here two more times since the initial visit and the customer service has been consistent. Management is very welcoming! We look forward to spending many nights there.

Room Tip: I always stay on a ground floor with my pets and close to exit doors so as not to bother other guest...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Just returned from Family Weekend at UNF. When looking for our hotel room, I needed something pet friendly and with a pool and hot tub. We rented the 1 bdrm suite with king and pull out couch as we were traveling with our 2 1/2 year old grandson. I read alot of reviews about needing to be refurbished and rooms entering from the outside, not sure what thats about. None of the rooms entered from the outside in the main building where the check in area is. Our room looked like it was recently renovated as it was in very good shape. We had a great breakfast each morning with everything from cereal to scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. My only complaint was 1 morning there were some things that I guess were to be cheese omelettes and they were like little hard frisbees. My other complaint was that we wanted a hot tub and this one was messed up and low on water the entire time we were there and I stayed from a Thurs to a Monday. We repeatedly went in and ask if they would fix the hot tub as it was below the skimmer. Finally on Sunday a kid who worked there and had no idea what he was doing, filled it with water, but unfortunately didn't turn the skimmer pump on, so the water just got hotter and hotter to the point no one could get in the hot tub and it was dangerously hot!! So, not sure I'd stay here again based on that if I find a different pet friendly hotel, but overall, not a bad trip. Maids were great too! Came in every day and had the room all cleaned up before we got back each evening!! Oh and I can't say enough about this location!! Walk to all the shopping and dining you want, it is all just out the front door!! VERY nice area!! And 1 mile from The Univ of N. Florida!!

Room Tip: If dogs barking bothers you, you might ask to be placed away from people with animals as we could he...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was my first trip to Jacksonville in quite awhile and I decided to get away from the Naval Base and be in the Baymeadows area. I chose the Baymeadows Homewood Suites. Located right next to the 95 exit, it made for easy arrivals and departures.

My first surprise was that the hotel is actually made up of several smaller building units, each having many rooms. I was directed to Building 3, which was on the backside of the hotel area. Though this was a nice treat, as I am more accustomed to hotels in one building, the drawback to this arrangement was the walk from Building 3 to the Main Lodge for coffee, breakfasts, and the dinners. Visitors with any form of walking issues may want to steer clear of the more distant buildings.

The room itself was average. Nothing took my breath away. I have stayed in many newer or recently refurbished Homewoods and this one needs a face-lift in the rooms. I can't speak to all the rooms, but the one I received was needing a change. There was rust in the bathtub/shower and there were spots where the caulking was coming up. The decor of the room is older, but the stone countertops throughout the kitchen and bathroom were nice.

The two televisions were flat screens with HDMI hookups, approximately 32" in size. My bedside clock radio was not working, but I had my own I travel with. I also had no dishwasher detergent, either automatic or hand wash. I found the King size bed in my room to be very hard. That was strange for Homewood. I usually love their beds.

On my first full day, I waved off the maid as I didn't need service after one day. On my second day, I returned after meetings by 5pm and my room was still not serviced. I thought that was pretty strange and I went hunting for the attendant. Not finding anyone, I returned to my room and got changed for the light dinner. A knock on my door by 5:30 was room service. She had no cart with her, but had some coffee packets. She gave me the filters and asked if I needed anything else. Without a cart, I wasn't sure what she had planned, so I replied no...

At checkout I waited to ask a question about my receipt, but after a couple minutes of waiting, I decided to just head to the airport. There was no one at the desk. That happens, I understand it. But it ended my average stay with average service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business