“Good Location and Staff; Rooms Need Updating”

Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Good Location and Staff; Rooms Need Updating”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I chose this location because I like staying in the South Bank/San Marco area, but I had not stayed here before.

My welcome at the front desk was both friendly and professional (cannot remember the name of the front desk manager, but it was the evening of March 14). As I finished checking in I asked her if she knew anything about the restaurant right across the street (see my review of the Wine Cellar). Not only did she tell me what to expect, she quickly pulled out a card for a 15% discount on my meal.

Unfortunately, when I walked into the room I was not as happy. Although it was a non-smoking room, someone had obviously smoked there in the recent past, and the odor had permeated the carpet, etc. It was not my imagination; when I got home I found that my clothes had picked up the smell of smoke. I did not ask to change rooms because the hotel was full; it was the night before the annual River Run and entire busloads of runners were in residence. Even though they were young, they went to bed early so they could do their best the next morning.

Then I went into the bathroom to check out the whirlpool bath, which was not there; that was the main reason I was staying at the Hampton Inn this time instead of at the Homewood Suites (nearby, and where I usually stay). The bathroom looked dated and kind of tired, although I appreciated the fact that the complimentary toiletries were Neutrogena.

Then I discovered that the whirlpool was in the bedroom, next to the bed, which seemed kind of tacky. The bedroom itself was like the bathroom--tired and in need of updating. The desk and desk chair were squeezed at the foot of the bed. Since I'm less than average size, I wondered how a larger person would be able to even use the desk. The window overlooked the street, which was fun the next morning when I watched the runners come past the hotel, some in costumes.

Throughout my stay I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and helpfulness of all of the members of the staff that I encountered. That's what made this a "Very Good" instead of a "Good" review.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Rcrooks, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Caromex13,

We are so happy that you were able to stay within the Hilton family and stay with us while in Jacksonville! We are making continuous efforts to make sure our hotel is pristine and up to date. You will be happy to know that we will be getting new carpet installed in the next month as well as updating various features in the rooms as well as adding further amenities and services to the hotel. We hope that on your next trip to Jacksonville, we can be of service.

Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95
(904)-396-7770

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
Grand Bay, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Paid extra to stay downtown to see riverwalk and freindship fountain. Riverwalk was closed and fountain did not appear to be working properly. So I would not recommend staying here for the sites. The hotel was very nice, clean and the staff was super freindly.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Rcrooks, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
William,

Thank you for the review! We appreciate your honest feedback! I am so sorry that some of the downtown Jacksonville attractions were not available for your view. I do know that the city is working to get the renovations complete very soon on the new and improved River Walk. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you experienced a clean and crisp hotel room as well as had a great impression and encounter with the staff. We hope that you return to Jacksonville once the River Walk is complete and stay with us again.

Jumping Branch, West Virginia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I would recommend this motel to anyone wanting a comfortable place to stay with a good full breakfast each morning and very helpful staff to take care of my needs including good suggestions for places to eat. I was very pleased with all aspects of this motel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

David,

We are so happy that you had such a comfortable stay with us! We are so pleased that you shared your experience and are overjoyed that you found the breakfast to be excellent and plentiful! You are correct! We have many of Jacksonville’s top restaurants within walking distance. Looking forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Jacksonville!

Atlanta, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The room was clean, but a bit rough around the edges: frayed carpets and lumpy comforter. For the most part the staff was friendly, although the front desk staff could use some training in customer service and professionalism, but not bad. The king sized bed with the whirlpool tub next to it made the place feel cheap. When they said whirlpool tub, I assumed it was in the bathroom.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Michael D
Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience that you had at our hotel recently. We are so sorry that you had to experience a room that was not up to standards. We take feedback such as yours very seriously and we will review your feedback with our staff especially the front desk agents. Thank you for commenting on how friendly the staff was during your visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next trip to Jacksonville so my team and I can ensure nothing less than a perfect stay.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had to kill a large one that was scurrying by the TV. The next morning, when I mentioned it to the person behind the desk, they didn't seem to care. They mentioned something about sending an exterminator to the room. I'm not sure that was the best response for the situation.

Jim,

We apologize that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. We promise you that this is not a typical experience and we are so very sorry that that service you have come to expect from Hampton was not provided! Friendly service, clean rooms, comfortable surroundings every time. If you’re not satisfied, we don’t expect you to pay. That’s our commitment and your guarantee. That’s 100% Hampton. Thank you for providing feedback about the guest experience so that we can ensure that another guest does not have this same encounter.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights earlier this month. The hotel staff are genuinely friendly, warm and helpful. The breakfast is convenient and we enjoyed being able to make our own waffles. It is easy to access the major roads from here to get around although roadworks even made navigating with a GPS a little tricky. Great experience overall and more than likely will stay here again on future trips. Hampton beds are always very comfortable!

Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the Gate River Run. It was clean and convenient for the race. There is a free breakfast offered, but we did not eat there. The only negative comment is that there was no one stationed at the front desk when we arrived and when we left. Overall, it's a nice hotel and we would return again when in Jacksonville.

1 Thank Tom R
Rcrooks, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Tom,

We are so happy that you selected us for your stay while participating in the Gate River Run! You are correct that we are close and convenient for the race. In fact, the run goes right by the hotel! I am shocked that the appearance was that we did not have anyone stationed at the Front Desk during the time of arrival and departure during your stay. We investigated this matter and found that our associate was assisting another guest. Please note that we have remedied this issue so that it does not happen to other guests in the future. We appreciate you letting us know that there was a lack of communication from the overnight staff as they step away from the desk momentarily. We hope that we may host you again on your next 2014 Gate River Run. Thank you again for your feedback!