“Exceptional hotel for the business traveler!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95

Hampton Inn Jacksonville Downtown I-95
Ranked #14 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Orlando, Florida
“Exceptional hotel for the business traveler!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2010

My great experience at this hotel began with a glass of wine during check-in and ended with a gracious extension of check-out time on the last day of the trip. I was in Jacksonville for a convention at the Hyatt, but the pricey rooms (even at convention rate) did not fit my budget. After reviewing several on Trip Advisor, I settled on the Hamption Inn Jacksonville - I-95 Central.

While not in a particularly lively section of Jacksonville, the hotel is conveniently located about a block away from the JTA Skyway, which provided an inexpensive way ($0.50 per ride) to get to and from the Hyatt (alleviating the need to pay $15/day parking at the Hyatt) and points on the other side of the river. Unfortunately, the Skyway doesn't extend beyond downtown Jacksonville, so you will still need a way to get to points beyond downtown, particularly because there are few, if any, inexpensive restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. If you are looking for upscale dining, there is a lovely restaurant right across the street and another down the block. Otherwise, you are limited to the few fast food restaurants located in the Jacksonville Landing (across the river). That being said, the hotel staff were more than willing to assist me in finding restaurants that would deliver.

Aside from the convenient location, the service at this hotel is outstanding. All of the staff members that I encountered were friendly and extremely helpful. All of the desk clerks greeted me by name when I returned to the hotel each evening. The nightly reception (consisting of white or red wine, two types of beer and various snacks) was a wonderful way to wind down after a long day in educational sessions. The morning breakfast provided just enough hot and cold selections to keep me satisfied until lunch time and for the mornings when I didn't have time to actually sit and eat, there were breakfast bags available so I could eat on the go.

I would not recommend this hotel for a vacation, but for a business or other quick trip to Jacksonville, it was an economical choice and I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

We drove into the parking lot only minutes after the start of a torrential rain shower. So it was a welcome sight.

I generally love Hamptons...clean facilities, free breakfast, & reasonable prices. This location was perfect for the weekend activities we had planned...visit the Cummer Museum, the Riverside Arts/Farmers Market, the Landing, San Marco Square, & Cuba Libre dance club.

The staff was friendly, helpful, & attentive. The room was modern, clean, & comfortable. We had a newer flat screen TV...40" I think. There was a small pool. For breakfast we generally had oatmeal, raisin bran, fresh fruit, coffee with milk, waffles, yogurt, with an occasional pastry. They also had eggs, sausages, bacon, pastries, & pancakes which we did not try.

We had a great time in JAX while staying here, & heartily recommend this Hampton.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

The Hotel has been recently renovated and felt completely new. The room was newly furnished and very spacious - great views of downtown Jax. The complimentary breakfast was a pleasant surprise - waffles, eggs, bacon and sausage - plus fruit and bagels when I wanted a little lighter fare. A great way to wake up after a good night's sleep.

My schedule is hectic so I look for hotels where I know I'll be well taken care of - yet able to stay within my budget.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Cowpens, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

I am 71 years old and was attending my 50th Class Reunion. My husband was with me--though not one of the class.. We found the hotel very comfortable with good service. The staff was pleasant and fulfilled all of our requests, though not much was needed. We were there 3 nights.

My classmates and I had the use of a meeting room, though a lot of our morning visiting was done in the lobby, outside the breakfast room. Breakfast provisions were tasty and varied.

The price was certainly right!

• Stayed May 2010
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

I booked my room at this Hampton Inn by chance for an overnight stay in a double-queen room with a friend, and the staff attentively checked me in without issue. The beds were comfortable, and the room was freshly cleaned minutes before check-in. The maids smiled and said their hellos as they continued to the next room down the hall.

The bathroom was spotless, although after my shower the water failed to drain. A quick phone call later, a maintenance worker was at my door in minutes, unclogged the drain, and left the tub spotless. The amenities at this Hampton Inn were fantastic for the $99 rate, although the only ones I had time for were the free wireless internet and breakfast. The internet was slow and spotty at best, so I ended up tethering my laptop to cell phone instead. The breakfast buffet was tasty, but I came in at the tail-end of the meal to stone-hard biscuits.

Overall, this stay was comfortable and a large number of amenities for a great value compared to all the other hotels in the immediate area. The location is about a mile away from the heart of Downtown Jacksonville with free parking, which was perfect for my short stay, although I could see myself coming back for a longer stay at this Hampton Inn in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
The Villages, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

If you are doing business downtown, this is an excellent location. Has numerous high end steak houses/restaraunts within walking distance, but few casual and no fast food close. Breakfast was very disappointing. The good was cold and needed micro-waving.
I really enjoyed the Southern Grill which has awesome breakfast and lunch. Wish it was open for dinner!

The wi-fi is very slow and sometimes didn't work at all. Each room has it's own individual a/c unit which is old and very noisy. Hard to keep the room at an even temperature.

The bed was very uncomfortable.

The front desk staff were very helpful with any questions I had.

I would probably not stay at this location again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2010

Wish they had a frig in the room. We carry skim milk with us and there was no place to store it and keep it cool. This is a very typical Hampton Inn. The room is large and very nice (and clean). We stay at Hamptons as a preference because of their consistency in this area.

The staff tho needs some help. The front desk said no more than a couple of words to me when I checked in and his phone was ringing all the time while I was checking in. They might have been short on staff. My wife asked a question as we were headed to dinner, but the answer was not particularly friendly.
This morning's breakfast choice was limited and the person taken care of it seemed to have the desire to do a good job and was friendly, but the job was not being done. The trash bin was over flowing and I had to point the problem out to here. The only jelly out was sugar free grape and the bowl was overflowing with them. I don't think the gal was very well trained. She had the desire to do a good job, but just did not know how.
The area around the hotel is nice. I was surprised at that and the Wine Cellar restaurant across the street is wonderful (tho expensive).

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple