“Economical no-frills stay”

Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Riverwalk
Ranked #80 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Overall a good stay. Two negative comments: the room was smelly with a stale unpleasant odor. I had to look twice to make sure the sheets were clean. Right outside our room (on the ground floor) was a truck with it's front window smashed in (like someone smashed it). That made us feel uncomfortable and concerned for our car in the parking lot. Staff helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sulli1211

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Just want to let the employers know that one of your employees is especially friendly, helpful, and she always has a very fine greeting. I have noticed that sometimes she works long hours, perhaps covering for another. We leave early in the morning and sometimes finish our work in the evening and I have seen her work a double shift and always with a smile, friendly, and helpful attitude. We come home (to your hotel) tired, and Amber is a welcome and caring greeter.
Good employees are hard to come by and Amber is surely one of them from the customer perspective. We have spent a total of 3 weeks with you at two different times. Nona S.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

the rooms was nice and clean .good parking and alot of choises in the wending machines/ outlet located in by the reception. But they get only three stars by me mainly because of the early wake up I got around 8 o clock by the cleening lady that wanted to clean the room. Then again 9:00am. It was a late night for my sake and I wanted to get at some sleep. But around 9:30 a guy was knocking on the door and wanted to know if there was anybody staying in that room. Come on, the reservation system should know this...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stay at the extended Stay America at 1413 Prudential Drive, Jacksonville, FL. I spend one night per week. The service is great!! Amber who works at the front desk is always friendly, makes sure everything is ok in my room and always greets everyone with a smile. I know when I stay at the extended stay I am going to get a good room, great service and close to downtown restaurants, etc. I have stayed at other hotes, but cannot beat the price and location of this hotel as well as the service and it keeps me coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Forget that the flight into Jacksonville was four hours late getting in, or that I couldn't get to the hotel for my prepaid reservation until 3am. I should not have been greeted as if I'd woken up the desk clerk (which I probably had done, given her appearance), nor should she have checked me into a room where someone else was sleeping, nor when I went back to the desk, now at about 3:30am, should I have been booked into another room that clearly had been disturbed. By that I mean: A very real smell of someone's body odor, wet towels on the floor and on the counters of the kitchenette area, a tub full of water (still warm), and the bed rumpled from someone having gathered the covers and pillows around him/her to watch TV. By the time I reconciled myself to this reality it was 3:45am and the front desk clerk had already told me she could only extend my checkout time by one hour. So I drained the tub, piled the sopping wet towels in the sink, straightened out the bed and climbed in.

I've had bad hotel experiences in Europe but never in the U.S., and certainly not for what I paid to stay in this hotel. I had come to Jacksonville for a job interview and this did nothing to welcome me to a city I had hoped to call home; in fact, it could well have put me in the mood to run screaming back to the airport and away. Ugh. Will never stay in this or any other Extended Stay America again.

Room Tip: Go someplace else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here because we needed an inexpensive place to stop on our way up I-95, and we had a business event the next night.

Pros: Much less expensive than most of the hotels within a mile of here, great location near Riverfront (can walk to Riverfront in less than 10 minutes at moderate pace), easy access to I-95, the commuter train station is just a block away. I can't say enough good things about the staff here! Awesome customer service. Amber is mentioned in other reviews - she's great at what she does, and others followed suit! Grab-and-Go breakfast is coffee, hot water for tea, fruit, granola bars, pre-packaged muffins, flavored oatmeal packs - it's enough to hold you, and what I would expect for the price of the room. Free wifi.

Cons: Free wifi is slow! You have to upgrade for a fee, starting at a few dollars per day to get higher speed Internet. We saw a "highly undesirable insect." Now I know bugs are a part of life, especially in the humid South. This could have been a fluke. But this is my first time seeing one of these in any hotel in many years. It was not a water bug. We know the difference between that bug and a water bug. We stayed on the 3rd floor (top floor). Windows are dirty. Normally I wouldn't care about this, but they are noticeably dirty, and that makes me wonder if they care about overall cleanliness. Beds were not the most comfortable, but they were decent. If you care strongly about a dark room, don't stay in 302. The streetlight faces the window, and even the blackout curtains don't solve the issue.

Overall Summary: Good for the two nights we stayed, but I don't think we would have stayed a 3rd night especially after the insect. We had to put all of our food in the fridge. There's some road construction going on right now in front of the hotel, but I'm sure they'll be done soon. I would recommend it only for a quick stay. It's inexpensive, relatively clean, and it's close to downtown without being right in the middle of it. The decor is fine. We prefer something a bit more modern, but again, this was just a quick stop for us. We feel we got what we paid for. If you want something romantic, you might want to look elsewhere. I do think this hotel is good for a quick solo or family trip.

Room Tip: Corner suites are nice and big, BUT Rooms ending in -02 (e.g. 302, and probably also 202 and 102) ar...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shonesters
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Fabulous is the word to define this hotel. From a very helpful and knowledgeable Amber on the front desk who was so extremely helpful to the amazing beautiful room which was large, clean and tastefully decorated. Located close to the Skyway and the river this hotel ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple