“badGood Hotel Going”

Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park
Ranked #99 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 7 February 2014

While walking to my room after check in. I was highly disappoint that a large bag of trash was sitting in the hallway. Also upset with how dirty the carpets were stained in the hallways. They looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in a year or more. The ice mechine has been broken for months. Two of the lights in my room didn't work. And late in the night the toilet backed up and over flooded when I tried to flush it. So I had to spend 20 minutes cleaning up. Woke up in the morning and was very mad that the Grab and Go breakfast din't offer any juice. I don't drink coffee and am not a fan of milk, so having no beverage choice made breakfast disappointing. Colton at the front desk is a rock star.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. I apologize that you encountered issues with our ice machine, your toilet and the lights in your room. I will be speaking with our maintenance staff to ensure that these issues are not repeated in the future. As well, I am sorry that our grab-and-go breakfast and the cleanliness of our hallways did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be very useful as we strive to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

First of all, front desk customer service was very fast, efficient and friendly I believe the customer service person's name was Colton. Very helpful guy.

Location of hotel is good, safe area. Hotel itself is nice, warm, cozy feeling when you walk in the door. The room was nice and warm when I walked in which was a nice surprise since it was very cold in Jacksonville the night I arrived. Hate walking into freezing cold hotel rooms! Bed was nice, clean, towels could be upgraded a little...they were more like Motel 6 grade than nicer fluffier towels, more like using a loofa while drying after shower. Unfortunately, I was NOT impressed with how dirty the bathroom mirror, TV screen, TV controller AND the in room telephone was disgusting! I grabbed the in-room phone to call the lobby for a wake up call and just about gagged at how dirty the phone receiver and the number pad was. I always carry Clorox wipes while traveling so I'd already wiped the TV controller down....which was pretty bad....but that phone...ugh. Recommend to the hotel that they send a maid to all the rooms with a Clorox wipe and get after those phones...ugh. Also recommend having the maids wipe the TV controllers with one too. NOTE - I said use a Clorox wipe NOT just having the maid use the same towel she wipes down the rest of the room, tables, sinks, toilet with. UGH....Otherwise this hotel was fine. I will definitely stay at this hotel again....but I can only hope the management of the hotel reads this review and invests heavily in Clorox wipes. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NemoWinsAgain
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The pictures on the website are extremely misleading. Hotel was dirty throughout. Window frames were broken in the room and windows had mold on them. Strong odors permeated the entire hotel. All carpet and furnishings were visibly dirty as were the bathrooms. Multiple items in the room did not work the thermostats did not work or control the rooms to adequate temperatures. Complaints to the desk result in nothing being fixed or taken care of..

Room Tip: There are no good rooms all are equally dirty and in disrepair
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Doug - Thank you for your recent review. I am extremely sorry for the level of cleanliness in your room and throughout our hotel. As it was not in line with our company's high standards, we are working to deep clean our guest rooms and common areas. Plus, our housekeeping staff is working to enhance their cleaning procedures moving forward so these types of issues are not repeated.

Again, thank you very much for your survey. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future so that we can show you the enhancements we have made.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The pictures are miss leading the bedrooms do not look anything like this.mold and mildew in bathroom,they don't change shower curtains.or clean the toilets.the rugs are stained and the furniture arms are black and stained . There are guests that smoke pot in the rooms and it filters out in the hall,management don't care they tell you there is nothing we can do.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel and that you found the pictures on the site misleading. We try to make the pictures look as similar to the hotel as possible. We do change out shower curtains, comforters and clean our toilets. However, sometimes the toilets show staining from the hard water. I am very strict on not allowing illegal activity in our hotels. As soon as I am made aware of this, it usually results in a guest having to vacate my hotel.

I hope you will give us another try to show you that we do take your comments by heart.

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We were originally supposed to stay on Lenoir but was switched at the last minute. We were pissed bc our family and friends were still on Lenoir. After checking in, we were EXTREMELY satisfied and no longer cared about being literally 3-5 minutes from them. The staff, nice....besides being wack FL fans, they'll learn one day. Next year, we're staying at Riverwalk and I hope its as nice as this one was.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review you have recently placed. First of all, I would like to apologize that you were displaced during the FL/GA game this year. However, we loved having you as our guest and I am happy to hear that you had a good time while staying at the Deerwood Park location.

Hopefully, our Riverwalk location will make you feel at home as well next year when you come back for the game. Wack FL fans can be nice too as you found out. Thank you again for your generous review.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I would like to voice my opinion for the simple fact that I'm pretty sure corporate people are reading this and I'm hoping other people may think twice about extended stay america. I've been staying at ESA for awhile now. I've had mostly good experiences except for the constantly changing from hotel to hotel. I've tried to book directly via the hotel property, but the fees are outrageous. It's honestly less expensive to use a 3rd party party vendor like priceline.com. for good prices but what hotel you get at ESA is really hard to say.

I've loved staying at the Deerwood property: amazing staff and friendly housekeepers. I love the fact that the beds are comfortable also. The problem remains when you book via this property particularly the weekly rate is over $300.00 but using priceline it's $200.00 or less. Priceline buys rooms for anywhere from $23-27.00 a night,but ESA charges the regular customers much more. Extended stay use to allow guests to transfer from one hotel to another in Jacksonville but then that abruptly came to a hault. I have been told on a number of times that call priceline. Well priceline and the corporate people say it's up to the individual hotel to choose if they want to allow the guests between hotels.

I do completely understand. Don't get me wrong but can't Extended Stay realize the hassle for guests and also labor hours to clean room?

Would I recommend extended stay of America: yes but not for the rates or issues I have stated sbove.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I just didn't give 5 stars, because the hotel is going through renovations, so the carpet is a little run down. All bedrooms have flat Tvs, the pool is huge, the breakfast is generous when compared to other Extended Stays in Jacksonville (I've been to other 2 locations nearby). The bedrooms are larger than average, the decoration is simple, but not offensive to the eyes. I'd say that the carpet is one major flaw. It would certainly raise this hotel to 5 stars! It doesn't smell odd or anything, but you can tell is dated enough to justify its removal.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor, which was quieter!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for your great review. Although I would like to say we might be undergoing renovations next year, for now this has not been confirmed. I agree with you that the carpet needs some attention and we have started cleaning it. We understand that this does not take away from the condition of the carpet but, we are try to keep it clean. Still, I am pleased that you found our hotel to be comfortable, clean and a convenient location.

Again, thank you so very much for the great review and we hope to see you around again soon (maybe with new carpet).