“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL”

Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park
Ranked #103 of 134 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was very displeased with the quality of the room and the attitude of the staff. First, when I checked into the room the furnishings where old, unkept and had a unpleasant odor. Secondly, the room was not cleaned. I found a Jimmy Johns sandwich wrapper in the closet, black hairs in the sink, a quarter roll of toilet paper with no new roll in the room and there was no key to the safe. When I contacted the front desk staff to explain these issues to them they where unconcerned and never once offered to change the room or ask what they could do to make my stay more satisfactory. When I went to the front desk to get the toilet paper, because the front desk did not answer the phone, I had to pound on the desk to get the front desk clerks attention and then when she did come out from the back room she made a disgusted sound like I was bothering her. I This was my first stay at an Extended Stay America and will be my last. I would rather sleep in my car then stay at one of these hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scott H

Reviewed 12 April 2014

All of the reviews are correct, bad housekeeping,poor towels, the pool was closed by the Florida Health Department on 4/2, nothing done to date, the breakfast is a joke, the muffins and breakfast bars are gobbled up by the construction workers, the staff doesn't soon replenish, some of the non-smoking rooms smell like ash trays, it appears smoke seeps through the bathroom ceiling fan, have to close the bathroom door and put on the fan to vacate the smoke smell. I have been here 4 weeks, 2 of the Friday's the local county sheriff (several deputies) arrived with multiple deputies to clean the place out for drugs, etc. Called Corporate Customer Service and complained tonight, awaiting a call back from someone in the ES system within 48-72 hours. I am awaiting a call from Corporate office, asked them to come here to look for themself, and told them I would gladly meet with a EStay Corporate Rep directly and in person to show them around. I am on a Corporate Relo with a large JAX employer, I would not stay here, and will be telling my HR / Relo Group to not recommend this location. The actual location is a great spot (a pretty upscale, quiet area), but this Extended Stay is terrible (My views are shared by several people I have talked to who are staying here). There are other EStay locs in the area, I would give them a try before going here, until something changes here. Bad / non-existent on-site mangement. Extended Stay you can do much better, I have stayed in ES's before, most notably in Schaumburg, IL, 2000 N Roselle, Schaumburg, IL, with great results and customer service - they need to the send the manager, Jim, and his staff from 2000 N Roselle, Schaumbrug here to get this location fixed. Corporate Extended Stay QA come and look what you got at this location. Crap.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have been a guest at this hotel for a long time. In that time I watched this place go from a solid 3-star to barely a 1.5-star. During my stay, the Extended Stay chain has changed ownership and has completely gone downhill since. We no longer have an ice machine and the grab-and-go breakfast up-and-went. No longer do they have a juice machine, and if your not a fan of oatmeal or breakfast bars you might as well not bother. However, that is not nearly as bad as the housekeeping. Trying to get towels is nearly impossible; I need to pull off the bedding and remake my bed EVERY week; I have to clean my own bathroom because it is very rarely cleaned by housekeeping; I no longer get coffee or dishwasher detergent left (I need to go down to the desk and ask, and even then they're out of them often). The reason I believe it's a new ownership issue is because the desk service is awesome. From Colton and Tiffany to Assistant GM Evette and GM Nikki, they have tried their best to be as accommodating as they can be under the circumstances. I use to recommend this place all the time, now I'm actually embarrassed to. Wake up Ownership and realize you will be losing guests by leaps and bounds. Good results start at the top.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2014

DO NOT STAY THERE.......this is the worts ever. We checked in after buying this hotel from Priceline on Express deals. Upon arrival they did not have a Non Smoking room so we received a smoking one. It reeked from old stale smoke and dirty furniture. To begin with the toilet was so dirty, someone had taken a dump there and house keeping had not cleaned it. We talked to front desk regarding this and someone came and cleaned it, they did not have another room for us. Ok so now later when we were ready to go to bed and pulled the covers of the bed and the linen was dirty, house keeping had not changed the sheets they were dirty, wrinkled and smelly and no mattress pad.....common guys. The front desk lady very nice I want to indicate (Grace) wanted to give us another room since they had one and this was now midnight, we moved to that one and my god it reeked from fish and old and dirty furniture, the last occupant had been cooking and is smelled so bad there was no way we could stay there. So in the middle of the night we packed our belonging together and drove back home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2014

While walking to my room after check in. I was highly disappoint that a large bag of trash was sitting in the hallway. Also upset with how dirty the carpets were stained in the hallways. They looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in a year or more. The ice mechine has been broken for months. Two of the lights in my room didn't work. And late in the night the toilet backed up and over flooded when I tried to flush it. So I had to spend 20 minutes cleaning up. Woke up in the morning and was very mad that the Grab and Go breakfast din't offer any juice. I don't drink coffee and am not a fan of milk, so having no beverage choice made breakfast disappointing. Colton at the front desk is a rock star.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. I apologize that you encountered issues with our ice machine, your toilet and the lights in your room. I will be speaking with our maintenance staff to ensure that these issues are not repeated in the future. As well, I am sorry that our grab-and-go breakfast and the cleanliness of our hallways did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be very useful as we strive to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

First of all, front desk customer service was very fast, efficient and friendly I believe the customer service person's name was Colton. Very helpful guy.

Location of hotel is good, safe area. Hotel itself is nice, warm, cozy feeling when you walk in the door. The room was nice and warm when I walked in which was a nice surprise since it was very cold in Jacksonville the night I arrived. Hate walking into freezing cold hotel rooms! Bed was nice, clean, towels could be upgraded a little...they were more like Motel 6 grade than nicer fluffier towels, more like using a loofa while drying after shower. Unfortunately, I was NOT impressed with how dirty the bathroom mirror, TV screen, TV controller AND the in room telephone was disgusting! I grabbed the in-room phone to call the lobby for a wake up call and just about gagged at how dirty the phone receiver and the number pad was. I always carry Clorox wipes while traveling so I'd already wiped the TV controller down....which was pretty bad....but that phone...ugh. Recommend to the hotel that they send a maid to all the rooms with a Clorox wipe and get after those phones...ugh. Also recommend having the maids wipe the TV controllers with one too. NOTE - I said use a Clorox wipe NOT just having the maid use the same towel she wipes down the rest of the room, tables, sinks, toilet with. UGH....Otherwise this hotel was fine. I will definitely stay at this hotel again....but I can only hope the management of the hotel reads this review and invests heavily in Clorox wipes. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NemoWinsAgain
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The pictures on the website are extremely misleading. Hotel was dirty throughout. Window frames were broken in the room and windows had mold on them. Strong odors permeated the entire hotel. All carpet and furnishings were visibly dirty as were the bathrooms. Multiple items in the room did not work the thermostats did not work or control the rooms to adequate temperatures. Complaints to the desk result in nothing being fixed or taken care of..

Room Tip: There are no good rooms all are equally dirty and in disrepair
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Deerwood Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Doug - Thank you for your recent review. I am extremely sorry for the level of cleanliness in your room and throughout our hotel. As it was not in line with our company's high standards, we are working to deep clean our guest rooms and common areas. Plus, our housekeeping staff is working to enhance their cleaning procedures moving forward so these types of issues are not repeated.

Again, thank you very much for your survey. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future so that we can show you the enhancements we have made.