Extended Stay America - Jacksonville - Lenoir Avenue South
Ranked #90 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The worst extended stay I have visited. The pool was filthy and the hotel had a horrible smell. I was not happy and will not being using this brand anymore. I was surprised because the one in my area is a great establishment. REVAMP is needed.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank T S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have spent the past month spending four nights a week in Jacksonville for work. My company put me up in this hotel for all of those nights. The hotel itself was not bad, but the evening staff were not pleasant at all. First of all, nobody was ever at the Front Desk. When I needed to talk to someone, I would always have to wait patiently by the desk for five minutes and wait for someone to appear or try to walk through the hotel and track someone down. Kayla, who works in the evenings, always checked me in. She never smiled once or made eye contact. Her body language and tone of voice always suggested she would rather be doing anything but talking to me.
One evening around 11pm, I couldn't fall asleep because of other guests making a lot of noise at the pool. I had to be up early the next morning for work, so I attempted to call the front desk. I tried for about ten minutes from my room phone, but I could never get through. Finally I called with my cell phone, I asked what time the pool closed, and I was told that it was already closed. I explained that there were people in the pool, and the person on the other end seemed unconcerned and told me she would tell the other guests to keep it down. She should have closed the pool down as per hotel rules.
A couple of weeks later I was printing some documents for work on the lobby printer. The printer came up with an error message midway through my print. I tracked down Kayla and asked if she could help me. Without even looking at the printer, she told me it was probably broken and she obviously didn't want to be bothered. I had to have this document for work the next morning, so I needed to find a way to print it. I asked if there was another printer I could use or if she could point me in the direction of a Fed Ex/ Kinkos. The answer to both of those questions was "no". Not "No, I'm sorry I don't know" or "No, I wish I could help you", just a flat no as she walked away without even looking at me. She acted annoyed that I was even asking. I understand that things break, and didn't expect her to fix the the printer, but she could of at least took 10 seconds of her night to point me in the direction of a place that could help me. I wound up driving around Jacksonville in the pouring rain looking for a Walmart, to buy a new printer at. I felt like I was treated with zero respect.
Another night,I checked in late at around 10:30. I had woken up at 6am that morning to drive from Tampa then spent 8 1/2 hours teaching in Orange Park. I was tired and looking forward to getting to my room. When I arrived I was told that I would have to wait 20 minutes to check in because the woman behind the counter was busy doing paper work !?!?!?!I Seriously? It was only her and I in the whole lobby. I finally did get the employee to give me my room keys, but I had to push her to do so.
I spent several years working in the hotel business. Two of those years were working in a Front Desk position. I worked for a different hotel brand, but I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what goes into the job. Smiling goes a long way. This is a Customer Service position, so it baffles me that people who obviously hate helping or talking to people could keep a job like this. I understand the night audit process, and I understand that you can't check people in while the audit is running, but you plan ahead. You don't tell a guest that you can't check them in till later. You take all the information you need, give them their keys, and check them in in the computer after the audit has run. If you can't provide a service such as a printer, you should do your best to accommodate the guest. Apologize, call a nearby hotel to ask if the guest could use their business center or provide directions to the nearest Kinkos.
I have to say that the morning staff were a lot more pleasant. Marina was always friendly, and a great asset to the hotel. Unfortunately, because of my work schedule, I mostly had to deal with the afternoon/ evening shift. I travel a lot for work, and I stay in a lot of hotels throughout the country. I usually have really good experiences, and have had really great experiences at other Extended Stays. The room itself was clean and roomy, but my experience with some of the staff trumped all that. I won't be back when I am back in Jacksonville again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Miss_Scarlett83
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We got a sweet deal from priceline at $32 a night. For that price I really can't complain at all.. The full kitchen was a great addition. This hotel would have received a 4 star rating if the furniture wasn't something I'd seen at my grandparents home.. The wood was chipped and obviously used for a while. The room had an old cigarette smell to it that u can tell had been attempted to be covered up by paint and air fresheners! There was a rip in the center of the rooms carpet and the recliner had also seen it's fair share of guests! New furniture, carpet and a tad bit better staff they could easily get away with charging more per night and I would have felt great paying for it. But once again $32 a night. You really can't complain at all.. !!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ArmySFC
florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

After seeing some of the reviews I was a little leery about staying here. Much too my surprise there was a lot of positives. My room was good, the A/C was perfect and the bedding and pillows were close to perfect and I am pretty hard to please sometimes in that area. The room was equipped nicely and fairly clean. The hallways are pretty bad smoke filled,carpet stained and not so nice. Garbage cans inside the stairwells etc The exits are almost occupied with someone smoking.. The breakfast was just coffee and a muffin. Housekeeping was good and so was the front desk. Got an extremely good deal from a 3rd party.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LeonRFlorida
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stay here for some days and we have a great costumer services from them, they answer our questions, very patient peoples and show us the rooms for our convenient. The manager is a very professional person and open to answer ur questions if need it. Rooms looks excellent, very clean and front desk and everyone here are so fantastic.

Room Tip: If u don't feel sure to make decision ask to see suite location and room because maybe u can get...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anna R
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stay in various Extended Stay Americas all over the country at least a couple of times a month, and I am generally very pleased with the accommodations. Sadly, my stay at the Extended Stay Jacksonville did not live up to my expectations for cleanliness--the carpet and floor were both extremely disgusting, sticky and dirty. Visible crud in the corners of the kitchen floor, dingy stained towels, and a dirty coffeepot made it an unpleasant place to stay. When I was trying to check out in late morning, there was no one at the front desk, and four other guests were sitting there waiting for someone to come to the desk for over 20 minutes. The staff seemed overwhelmed and flustered. This hotel needs some TLC and attention from management to get it into better shape!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I'm staying here now and debating about leaving. Smoking dope in the elevator is a ritual for the teenagers here. Cant go in there without coming out with a contact high. Rooms are somewhat updated but house cleaning stinks. I left a good tip and even asked that only the floors be done and they didnt get done. Both carpet and tile are sticky, flip flops only. I have used a bottle of febreeze and two plugins and it still is marginal. You get what you pay for.
I guess I'm asking too much for $1100 a month.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business