“Excellent value if the price is right!”

Comfort Suites Columbia River
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I booked this hotel via another mystery "Express" hotel booking via priceline.com. My $69 plus $15 in taxes and fees let me to this property. It is rated as a 2.5 star. I will highlight pros and cons.

PROS.

Check in staff appeared well informed about the city and were efficient upon arrival. The room is spacious with a separate pull out couch/sitting area with flat screen TV. Room has a coffee maker, microwave and mini fridge. Internet and parking are both complimentary. There is also a largely carbohydrate infused complimentary breakfast which has pastries, a waffle maker, fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, juice, coffee, etc. It is enough to start your day. There are also free daily newspapers available in the lobby. Hotel amenities also include a fitness room and pool/spa.

CONS

The hotel is undergoing renovation (top floor as of this writing FEB 2014), and you will encounter noise during the day. The rooms are slightly worn of age, so the renovation does have the promise of moving this hotel property up in the ratings when they are complete. The hotel is nicely located next to a Safeway grocery store and gas bar, for convenience shopping. The bad news is that his hotel is long walk from downtown if you are traveling without a car, though I expect the majority of Astoria travelers such as myself arrive via car.

Lastly, be prepared to hear the sea lions barking at all hours of the night. These animals are a natural part of the ecology of this place, so you are warned. I found it quaint but others from the larger inland cities may not enjoy this. Not a big deal to me, and you can see these marine animals all over the place here in Astoria.

For the money, this is a decent place. It will be even better when their renovations are completed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the extreme east side of the property: they are slightly larger.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Linescrew
Kitsy M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you so much for your valuable review of your stay in February! We just wanted to let you know we are still in the midst of renovations, and we are thrilled to see the changes to our hotel! The sea lions are still barking their welcome song to our guests, and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We traveled to Astoria for the first time and stayed at the Comfort Suites. The hotel was situated right on the Columbia River. The bed was very comfortable and the room clean and spacious. The staff were very helpful and even welcomed our dog. I would stay here again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard K
Deepak P, General Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Comfort Suites on the Columbia River in beautiful Astoria, Oregon! It has been a fantastic weekend, and we are so glad to share it with so many wonderful people.

Thanks again!

Kitsy Brown Mahoney

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel was obviously purchased by Comfort Suites and they just threw on some paint and wallpaper to try to make it look nicer. Didn't work. Run down and the room was smelly. Price was decent and it was on the river so was good location.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank mosierroseburg
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed in the 2 room King suite on the 3rd floor room 310 over Thanksgiving. The room layout was great, full kitchen, etc. however there were definitely some issues. I've stayed here before and had decent experiences.

1. The heater in the kitchen that heats the entire kitchen/living room was falling off the wall and the knob to turn it on was broken off. My daughter was staying in that section and she gets cold so we kind of needed a heater. I went down to see what the desk could do and they switched rooms for us, but that room was just a straight 2 queen room with no privacy for our daughter who is 20. I went back to our room and my husband had managed to fix it enough for it to work, so we just stayed in that room. The next morning the maintenance man was there when I checked out and when I mentioned the heater he asked if there was an out of order sign on it. I said no. He said well there should have been. Hmm so why would I have been assigned a room with an out of order heater in the first place?

2. There were other issues. Nothing too bad but it seems that some maintenance needs to be done on this place - the molding around the bathroom door was partially missing and a crooked bathroon fan (loose on the wall), etc.

3. I discovered food particles in the silverware drawer of the kitchen so I used the plastic stuff we had brought. Stuff like this makes the room seem like it's not being cleaned properly.

4. The breakfast was just so so. The egg patties tasted yucky but everything else was average for a free breakfast. Contrary to whoever posted about not having high expectations for a free breakfast, you want it to at least be edible right?

5. I will say that even though it was really busy when I came downstairs to mention the heater, the desk clerk was very nice and obviously doing her best. The morning staff was nice too.

6. The hide-a-bed in the living room couldn't even be counted as a bed - it was totally AWFUL. The mattress was so poor that you could feel the springs in every part of that bed. My daughter did not sleep well because of this. It definitely needs to be replaced. I understand that hide-a-beds are not perfect but come on...

I canceled my reservations for Christmas this year but I'm hoping that some maintenance gets done on this place since it's under new ownership because this hotel is otherwise a decent place to stay and very convenient to my in-laws' place which is why we come to Astoria. Don't write them off yet, but just be aware that things may not be better than just okay.

Room Tip: Don't get the room with the hide-a-bed to use for a person - the one in 310 is terrible! Hopefu...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Vickie W
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The room was nice and comfortable and clean
There was a breakfast area but is was way too small for the size on the hotel
I had some questions about places in town and the girl at the front desk didn’t have any knowledge of the area so was not helpful

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan B
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Property is in excellent shape and my room was very well kept. Girls at the front desk were less friendly than most hotels but I couldn't tell if they were frustrated with each other (some training was obviously going on) or just like that. They made some subtle comments that probably weren't malicious but still made me feel like I was a second rate guest because I booked with a third party instead of direct. Probably room for customer service training, but my stay was positive. Partial river view from room. You can hear the seals with your windows closed, but I could at my apartment when I lived in Astoria and I lived over the hill. Just a way of life here! They're not loud enough to disrupt sleep though!

Astoria doesn't have a lot of great low priced options. Many of the motels are dumps, and several other places are ridiculously priced. This is a very good happy medium.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ringmaster_d
Kourtney S, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

I apologize that the front desk was have an off day that day. I want all my guests to feel welcome and comfortable. We do value our guests and I offer you a 20% discount the next time you stay with us.
We are under new ownership and there is training going on at this time. On behalf of the staff here, again my sincerest apologies. Thank you for your review and for staying with us.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Astoria is a great place to visit. The hotel was the best value in town. It not quite walking distance to town but it's right on the river. We watched ships go buy. Using the free wi-fi we looked up the ships and got a map. The hotel was clean, breakfast great. No problems at all. Just try to get a river side room if at all possible.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the river side. The higher the better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your review. We welcome you back anytime.