“Family Gathering”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Oregon
“Family Gathering”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here July 11th and 12th in a second floor river view room. The room was clean, had nice furnishings, comfortable beds and the linens very clean. The complimentary breakfast was standard but with plenty of choices and a friendly conscientious attendant. There was a boys baseball tournament in town. Several participating groups staying at the hotel made for yelling, running in the hallways and door slamming on both evenings. We confronted some boys outside our door on both evenings and told them to stop! The second evening we reported the noise to the front desk. At check out we were told there had been a number of complaints. This hotel advertises that pets are allowed on the first floor only. After seeing a dog on the second floor, we asked about the policy at checkout. We were told that if all the rooms on the first floor were booked, pets were allowed on the second and even sometimes on the third floor. I have allergies/asthma and animal dander can be a problem for me. I always ask for a non smoking, no pets room.
Be sure to ride the trolley that stops at the hotel and runs along the river. A nice Safeway store is very close by. The noisy sea lions reported by other reviewers were gone to California. But they will be back. I rated the value of this hotel as very good because it was the most reasonable rate for a good hotel for the summer season. Would I stay here again? Yes. Astoria is a charming town and is almost unrecognizable from my childhood of sixty some years ago.

Room Tip: Book a 3rd floor room on the river side for the best view of freighters and ships on the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kourtney S, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback and positive words! I will certainly make sure to pass this on and I am so glad to hear that we could present you with a good stay.
It is always nice to have the returning guests, as well as the new ones. I hope that we see you in the future and can make it an even better stay for you.

Thank so much again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a Comfort Suites- let's start there. Nothing fancy, price is decent. It is a good hotel that may seem a little expensive but I think based on location it's about right. Our room was clean and we were told had recently been redone. I can believe that- there was an extra piece to a towel bar laying on the floor. There's the rub- why was it on the floor? If someone vacuumed they should pick it up. Why leave it in the room? Just sayin'. We never tried the breakfast but it looked like the typical free breakfast at so many chains. I would note that the picture of the hotel from the water is accurate- but misleading. The hotel isn't really on the water (but is close and will have a view from higher floors). Overall, I would stay again. Nothing great, but nothing to complain about either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the feedback.
I will take this and present it to the proper departments and thank you for being patient with us. We have gone through renovations and I am so glad to hear that we have been able to help you enjoy your stay.
I hope that you return in the future and we can make it an even better stay for you.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

After reading a couple of the negative reviews of this hotel, we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived and found that the rooms were super clean, attractively furnished, and large. We arrived too late to get a room with a river view, but the hotel does have a very nice view of the Columbia river and passing barges. The people working the front desk were super friendly and accommodating. The lady who stocked the breakfast area went out of her way to find things that my daughter (who has an allergy) could eat. My only negative comment is about the fitness room. It's quite small and hot (a fan would help). The TV wasn't working because the hotel was in the process of switching over to digital cable. Overall, we had a very nice stay and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room with a river view.
1 Thank DeDeM68
Kourtney S, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback.
It is so awesome to be able to hear good feedback from guests.

I will pass on the comment/suggestion about a fan or air conditioning system for the Fitness Center.

We hope you come back and stay with us in the future and I would like to thank you on behalf of the staff for the encouraging words.

Thanks again,
Everett, Washington
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for about a weekfor work,they were working on the hotel but everyone was very helpful and friendly nice pool enjoyed my visit very much, would definitely return,loved Astoria.if you go don't miss going over the Astoria bridge it's beautiful.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you so much for your positive feedback.
I also would like to thank you for your patience while we were going through renovations and changing the hotel.
Our goal is to meet guests satisfaction. I am so please to hear that we could accommodate you during your stay!

We hope for your return in the future.

Washington State
Reviewed 17 July 2014

After falling into disrepair the past several years, the new ownership has done a great job bringing this hotel back up to standards. New exterior paint, remodeled rooms, they earned our business back. It's worth the extra money to get a river view room. Perfect for runners, right out the door is the Astoria River Walk, 4 miles of path from wetlands to the bridge. Walk to the museum. Safeway is next door and Geno's Pizza is a block away across the street, so it's a perfect location in Astoria. The one negative is that the room doors slam shut very loudly.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that have a connecting door to the neighboring rooms, lots of noise comes through. Pay...
1 Thank Run4Fun262
Thank you so much for your positive feedback.
I will make sure to get this information about the doors to the Maintenance.
Our goal is to please the guests and from what you have wrote, I am so happy that your stay could be so accommodating.
We appreciate this response and will make sure to improve.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel was clean and comfortable, but it's in an ugly area. I didn't really care for it. But $174 a night is an outrage for this. I have paid that for a resort town and Astoria is not that. I thought being on the river would be quaint. Our window looked out over a home being demolished. Won't recommend it.

Lenox, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We made a stop in Astoria just so we could see some of the places from the Goonies movie. We ended up staying here which is across the street and down just a little from the Goonies house. The hotel itself was very nice. The beds were comfortable and the staff was very accommodating. They even told us to wait a few minutes before going out if we wanted a warm cookie. Not sure if this was normal of if they were just making some for themselves. The rooms were very clean and you had everything you needed. The staff was also helpful to us and others for great dining options. If we are every in the area again we would stay here in a second, because of the great hospitality we got.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here.
The Goonies is a huge deal here in Astoria and I am so happy to hear that you have enjoyed the stay and the site seeing.
Our team's goal is to please the guest and this positive feedback is so awesome to hear! I will pass this onto the staff here at Comfort Suites.
We hope you return in the future.

Thank you again for your positive response.