“Very nice”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Arnold
“Very nice”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here one night as we traveled down the Oregon Coast. It was a very nice room by the Columbia River. The room had everything we needed to make our stay comfortable (complimentary breakfast, pool, tv, wifi, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, friendly helpful staff, and comfortable bed. They even had pillow choices, firm or soft. There was a river walk behind the Inn where we went for a stroll while we did laundry (even had a laundry room). There were sea lions on a dock a short walk away. We were entertained by them for quite a while. We didn't want to spend as much as we did because of the length of our trip, but were very pleased with everything.

Room Tip: The end room was large, But ask for room in back if you want a river view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daina R
Kourtney S, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this review, 11 August 2014

Kourtney Scott
Front Desk Manager
503-325-2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Somehow we ended up with the only room that isn't a suite. ( so we were told ). ( room 212) It had a Queen bed, whereas all the rest are king or 2 beds. ( so we were told ). Located right next to the elevator, really about 6' from our door to the elevator.
The good news: $50 cheaper than the next-price room and we never heard the elevator, never except a little from the bathroom, but since we weren't sleeping in the bathroom, it wasn't an issue.
The room was a decent size, very clean, large fridge, nice shower, (crummy ventilation, though) and no hooks to hang anything in the bathroom. One more weird thing: no facial tissues were supplied. We were told that the new dispenser had not been installed yet when the room was re-done.
Breakfast was the average nondescript offering: cereals, pastries in a bag, waffle iron, eggs. We opted out and went to Pig 'n Pancake a short distance away, which was a great recommendation from a biker we had talked to along the way.
Our stay was so-so; glad it was only one night.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 212; not a suite and right next to elevator.
1 Thank 103PatD
Moraga, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My son and I arrived very late (midnight) without reservations on a road trip and were put into a third floor room with two queens. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and professional. However, when we got to our room both my son and I immediately noticed a "mildew" smell -- not overwhelming, but definitely there. The bathroom was not entirely clean (there was dirt and grime behind the door) although the tub/shower seemed okay. Worse, although the beds looked clean at first glance, after I opened the bed I noticed several places on the bottom sheet which looked almost wet or stained. This was on one side only, and frankly, at that hour I was not going to explore what the stains were, call housekeeping or try to find another hotel. I slept carefully on one side of the bed, tried not to think about it, and we left very early the next morning. I understand that they are doing renovations, so perhaps this room had not yet been renovated, and I don't expect luxury at the price they were charging (although ironically, this was the most expensive place we stayed during our trip, and the least attractive/clean), but the room, and particularly the bed, should have been cleaner. Thus, I can't recommend this hotel based on our experience there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jill R
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

This is a typical Comfort Suites--reliable. We knew what we were getting and it did not disappoint. It is on the river, and although we were on the first floor, we still got a glimpse out our window. The trolley train and walking path are right behind the hotel.
The breakfast was typical, but the girl who helped was fantastic. She was so pleasant and kind with everyone and was the best worker I've seen at one of these hotel breakfasts.
My only complaint was that the pillows were not soft, but I like a really soft pillow.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Shawna B

Kourtney Scott
Front Desk Manager
503-325-2000
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was a convenient, clean, friendly place to stay in Astoria. There is a great walking path that goes along the river. The path and the Astoria trolley line are out the back door. From our window we could watch a beautiful sunset. Walking distance to the Goonies house, Safeway grocery, and a pub on a river pier. Drive, bike, or take the trolley to attractions and restaurants closer to downtown.
The breakfast was ordinary. Some more whole grain and healthy choices would be great. The Yumi yogurt is a treat.

Room Tip: River view rooms are great, but the rooms facing east have great views also. Top floor has best vie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kourtney S, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Columbia River, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you so much for your positive feedback.
Astoria is such an amazing little town! I am glad to read that you have gotten to enjoy some of the great places that it has to offer.

We hope that you come back in the future and we can make that stay even better.

Again, thank you.
Oregon
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here July 11th and 12th in a second floor river view room. The room was clean, had nice furnishings, comfortable beds and the linens very clean. The complimentary breakfast was standard but with plenty of choices and a friendly conscientious attendant. There was a boys baseball tournament in town. Several participating groups staying at the hotel made for yelling, running in the hallways and door slamming on both evenings. We confronted some boys outside our door on both evenings and told them to stop! The second evening we reported the noise to the front desk. At check out we were told there had been a number of complaints. This hotel advertises that pets are allowed on the first floor only. After seeing a dog on the second floor, we asked about the policy at checkout. We were told that if all the rooms on the first floor were booked, pets were allowed on the second and even sometimes on the third floor. I have allergies/asthma and animal dander can be a problem for me. I always ask for a non smoking, no pets room.
Be sure to ride the trolley that stops at the hotel and runs along the river. A nice Safeway store is very close by. The noisy sea lions reported by other reviewers were gone to California. But they will be back. I rated the value of this hotel as very good because it was the most reasonable rate for a good hotel for the summer season. Would I stay here again? Yes. Astoria is a charming town and is almost unrecognizable from my childhood of sixty some years ago.

Room Tip: Book a 3rd floor room on the river side for the best view of freighters and ships on the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback and positive words! I will certainly make sure to pass this on and I am so glad to hear that we could present you with a good stay.
It is always nice to have the returning guests, as well as the new ones. I hope that we see you in the future and can make it an even better stay for you.

Thank so much again.
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a Comfort Suites- let's start there. Nothing fancy, price is decent. It is a good hotel that may seem a little expensive but I think based on location it's about right. Our room was clean and we were told had recently been redone. I can believe that- there was an extra piece to a towel bar laying on the floor. There's the rub- why was it on the floor? If someone vacuumed they should pick it up. Why leave it in the room? Just sayin'. We never tried the breakfast but it looked like the typical free breakfast at so many chains. I would note that the picture of the hotel from the water is accurate- but misleading. The hotel isn't really on the water (but is close and will have a view from higher floors). Overall, I would stay again. Nothing great, but nothing to complain about either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the feedback.
I will take this and present it to the proper departments and thank you for being patient with us. We have gone through renovations and I am so glad to hear that we have been able to help you enjoy your stay.
I hope that you return in the future and we can make it an even better stay for you.