“A Fine Museum”

and up
Oregon Coast Day Trip: Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Astoria
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum celebrating the history of ship travel on the Columbia River.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is one of the "must see" places in this nice coastal town. It's comprehensive, interesting for all ages and is a very unique museum. Its exhibits are authentic and local - giving one a greater understanding and feeling for the fishing and ocean going life that created this area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband is the one who is into ships and Maritime history. I am not. But we went because I knew he would enjoy it. It is such a wonderful museum that even I enjoyed it! There is a lot of information that is organized in hands on and interesting ways. There are a lot of visuals and cool artifacts around every corner. If you are in Astoria you would be doing yourself a disservice to not go. There is a little bit for everyone of all ages to discover.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you like interesting history and adventure of the sea, this is the place for you. There are videos, sound bites of rescues by the Coast Guard, ships to see, and all kinds of things in-between.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

You only need a few hours. This is very well done. Learn the history of the area and see how shipping has changed the Columbia River.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to this museum and we both really enjoyed it. It is amazing how much stuff there is to see and touch interact with. The Coast Guard display what's the best part I thought. Those are some amazing men and women. They make me proud of the Coast Guard. I would heartily recommend this for just a casual visitor, for families although I'm not a fan of kids running around loose in a museum and just about anybody interested in the area and its history.