“didn't even give it a chance”
Review of Benjamin Young Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Astoria
Benjamin Young Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Astoria B&B and Inns
anchorage
“didn't even give it a chance”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Based on the previous reviews things must have changed. We did not even stay due to the cat odor and the dirty room: hair in shower, carpet odor. We paid for the night, but moved on.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AnchorageAuntie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I'll admit that one of the selling points on the Benjamin Young Inn (BYI) for me was the proximity to the main shooting locations of the Goonies. (That and the many positive reviews on Trip Advisor!) I have wanted to visit Astoria since I was a teenager and first saw the town featured in The Goonies. It is a beautiful small town with many beautiful Victorian homes, including the BYI.

We stayed in the Rose Room, which was a good-sized room with a very comfortable bed. The room was very quiet with the exception of the sea lions barking away on the nearby docks, but that just adds to the charm of Astoria! The Inn is probably a lot quieter than some of the places you can stay in the "downtown" area.

Carolyn is a pleasant hostess, and the breakfasts served by herself and Mickey were delicious and filling. On our second morning, they were serving eggs benedict, and my husband told Mickey that we don't like poached eggs and that we were fine with the muffins and fruit. Mickey whipped us up some scrambled eggs instead, which she didn't have to do, since we were the ones being fussy! Please note that there was nothing wrong with the eggs benedict - the other guests enjoyed it immensely - my husband and I are picky about eggs, and we only eat them scrambled because we don't enjoy runny yolks. I only mention this as an example because they really went the extra mile by cooking us something different.

I remember some of the reviewers complaining about the cats, but Carolyn clearly mentions this on her website. The cats are not intrusive (they're very sweet), but if you just can't be around cats, you would probably want to stay somewhere else. For us, it was not a big deal. I would highly recommend a stay at the BYI if you are visiting Astoria. It's a great value for your money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathi74
Portland
Reviewed 25 February 2011

My partner and I spent a wonderful night at the Benjamin Young Inn. The hostess is wonderful, the inn old and full of history. If you are looking for a pristine - no dust kind of place - this is not for you. But if you love beveled glass windows (from age) a view of the river, and a friendly warm inviting astmosphere definitely stay at this inn. Breakfast is wonderful. The house is home to two matching gray cats.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lunaticadventures
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2011

The Benjamin Young Inn is a portrait of loveliness. The house is a gorgeous example of Victorian-inspired architecture, and the rooms are bright, airy and very clean. With two friendly cats and a welcoming atmosphere, I would recommend this B&B to all of my friends. And Carolyn Hammer, the hostess, is wonderful company. She's friendly, approachable, and has an old-world sense of welcome and hospitality. I'm returning to BYI as soon as possible!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I suppose we all need to get away from the demands of daily living now and then, as we search for comfort, solace, reflection and peace. That's why I visited the Benjamin Young Inn this week, and it was exactly the right choice for me. The inn-keeper made me feel like an old friend and a personal guest, and afforded me the perfect balance of welcoming and privacy. Hearing that I was a historic preservation advocate, she let me tour the full house which is nearly 6,000 square feet! My bright, airy, clean and comfortable room gave me a place to decompress from city living, and a lovely and leisurely breakfast in the morning made for a wonderful sendoff. I'll certainly be back!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We did quite a bit of research coming up to our recent trip to Oregon and Washington State and had decided that Astoria is a must due to the fact that (a) many films were shot there and (b) it's a lovely place. My favourite was "The Goonies" from 25 years ago and when I heard that the movie was filmed there, I had to go a see the place while not too far away. Also the Movie "Kindergarten Cop" was part-filmed at the Kindergarten literally across the road!

Benjamnin Young Inn is actually in a unique position in that it has a direct view of "The Goonies House", which is wonderful. In fact it's less than a 5 minute walk away to get there and take some photos. The Inn is an amazing old villa with huge stairs and we stayed in an enormous room with lots of space.

Our host, Carolyn, is a lovely lady that was extremely helpful in every way, from when we enquired to advising us of places to eat etc. For excellent hospitality and a relaxing environment, I warmly recommend staying here.

Lastly, we found it to be an added bonus that we could hear the Sea Lions that were actually quite far away. A note in our room suggested that they probably tell each other joked 24 hours a day and then crack up laughing over and over again! After reading the note, we had to agree and just laughed with them!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We had a nice stay. The room was comfortable, Carolyn was a wonderful host and the breakfast was quite good. Bring some earplugs to block out the bark of the Sea Lions. I did, my partner did not.

My only complaint is that the common area upstairs smelled as if the cat litter box needed cleaning. I'm guessing this was just a glitch since no one has previously commented on this.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple