“Great Breakfast / must love cats”
Review of Benjamin Young Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Astoria
Benjamin Young Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Astoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 December 2011

The place was lovely, and I loved listening to the sounds of the sea lions. But the cat smell was a little too much. Unfortunately I had dreams of cat litter boxes. All I could smell was cat. The owner is so very nice and the breakfast was amazing. If you have a cat for a pet, I am sure you will be fine. But my companions were upset about the odor as well and one of them wanted to leave. Again, if you have cats you might not even notice, but being that I don't, that is all I could smell. I wish I was exaggerating about my dream, but really, I had a dreams of us hunting for the cat litter box to dispose of it. If the smell was not there, I would give 5 stars and recommend to anyone to stay. The sea lions, listening to them bark was the best part of my trip. I am from the mountains and listening to sea lions instead of birds in the morning is so odd, but so fun. And really the best pancakes I have had in a very long time. But dealing with the smell and grumpy companions (because there sleep was not great either), I won’t be going back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank MaxLittleton

Reviewed 26 September 2011

This is a beautiful building...rooms were large and our view of the harbour was gorgeous... sea lions sing you to sleep (or take ear plugs)...otherwise quiet at night. Common area is large with lots of reading material on local history. Carolyn filled us in on events that we may be interested in...(we saw Judy Collins perform thanks to Carolyn). Breakfast was lovely and plentiful.

1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Carolyn, our hostess, was quite charming, and even took time to chat with us in the evening after we returned from dinner. Her home is a beautiful Queen Anne on the historic register, and many of its details are still original, including the gorgeous stained glass windows in the front door. The inn is centrally located in Astoria, easy driving distance from downtown, and it has a clear view of the Columbia. We enjoyed watching passing freighters from the dining room window.
Breakfast was a tasty smoked fish quiche that had been made from scratch, including crust, and very fresh fruit, served with cardamom bread (perhaps from a local Finnish bakery?). We have cats ourselves, so having an on-site cat greet us was charming. The bed in our room was quite comfortable, and we appreciated having a nice little sitting area in our room as well. We were delighted to receive a lovely print drawing of the Inn, suitable for framing, upon our departure. The ENORMOUS monkey puzzle tree outside was a marvel (I love monkey puzzle trees).

Other reviewers mentioned the sea lions, and while we heard them (and could see them from the window), they didn't bother us one bit (and we had the windows open).

We did find ourselves wondering if our hostess might need some help maintaining the place. I grew up in an 1885 farmhouse, so I know big old houses like this are a real challenge, even for talented do-it-yourselfers. Plus, having a lot of guests all the time makes things wear out that much more quickly.

Unfortunately, I'm cursed with a keen sense of smell, so I tend to notice odors more than most people do. Old houses sometimes have funky odors, and we noticed our bedroom had an odd smell, like it might have been recently fumigated. Replacing the carpeting (or pulling it out and putting in hardwood and an area rug for warmth) would probably take care of any lingering aromas in our room. Ditto for the charming sitting room, which had a noticeable catty aroma in places. Our bathroom was functional enough, but the older vinyl flooring flecked with glitter wasn't consistent with the lovely ambiance in the rest of the inn. The stall shower had apparently been leaking for some time and ruined the paint on the wooden trim around it. The big bathroom sink had been poorly repaired where a faucet had leaked, and it was nice enough to be worth a pro job. I'd also suggest replacing the towels - they were clean and functional, but obviously had some mileage on them, not what you'd expect for $165/night.

Overall, it was a charming stay and we'd come back.

Room Tip: If you need a king size bed, choose the Lady Ann room.
1  Thank Snert3
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Loved the house and the Honeymoon Suite (although it wasn't our honeymoon!) The reading nook had a beautiful window that overlooked the harbor and from which you could see the sunset over the ocean. The sea lions were vocal - we kept thinking that they'd sleep but they didn't. Surprisingly, we didn't have any problem falling asleep though. Homemade breakfasts were good in the morning, and tea and freshly-baked cookies were available in the afternoon. A very nice experience!

1  Thank swilson63
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The Benjamin Young Inn is a very lovely place to stay. Carolyn, the owner does have 2 house cats. Their names are Minnie and Mo. They are very friendly and warm up to you quickly. Carolyn tries to keep them out of the rooms but sometimes they do sneak in. There are also sea lions down on the Mooring Basin. You can see them from the dining room and walk down to the pier which is a very short walk. They like to talk and are rarely quiet; but they add charm and character. I had a chance to see all the rooms; they are each special in their own way. The Lady Ann is the largest room. It has a King Bed and a view of the river; also you can get a view of the Goonies house, best from the bathroom. The Rose room is the brightest room and has a great view of the river. The Honeymoon suite is very fun to bring back old memories of your honeymoon or just enjoy a nice getaway. The canopy over the bed is Carolyn's old wedding dress. There is also a nice sitting area in a cupola which also looks out to the river. The Dorothy room has a queen bed and a twin for an extra person. The breakfast is wonderful; we sit at the dining room table and breakfast comes in courses. Breakfast started with bread and fruit then followed with a main course. The Innkeeper was very accommodating for food allergies but she prefers to know in advance. There are lots of things to do in and around Astoria. Seaside, Cannon Beach, and Long Beach are a few of the beaches around Astoria. They are about 20-30 minutes away. There is also history of the house in the living room, as well as a binder of local restaurant menus. The Benjamin Young Inn is a great place to stay. It is a great place to getaway and relax. Carolyn will make you feel right at home!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank k-zootravellers
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The hostess was truly lovely and was wonderful to talk with. The pictures on this site are better than the actual experience. Although the house has amazing charm, there are things that need to be fixed and cleaned. I'm not fussy, but when I pay $275 for a 2-night stay, I expect more. Food was above above average but not outstanding. Yard needed grooming and house needed to be painted. Bathroom was tiny with sink in the bedroom. 3-3.5 stars out of 5. We will definitely go back to Astoria, but will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vacationer52024
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Based on the previous reviews things must have changed. We did not even stay due to the cat odor and the dirty room: hair in shower, carpet odor. We paid for the night, but moved on.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple