“I needed peace and comfort. Benjamin Young Inn was the right choice!”
Review of Benjamin Young Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Astoria
Benjamin Young Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Astoria B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“I needed peace and comfort. Benjamin Young Inn was the right choice!”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I suppose we all need to get away from the demands of daily living now and then, as we search for comfort, solace, reflection and peace. That's why I visited the Benjamin Young Inn this week, and it was exactly the right choice for me. The inn-keeper made me feel like an old friend and a personal guest, and afforded me the perfect balance of welcoming and privacy. Hearing that I was a historic preservation advocate, she let me tour the full house which is nearly 6,000 square feet! My bright, airy, clean and comfortable room gave me a place to decompress from city living, and a lovely and leisurely breakfast in the morning made for a wonderful sendoff. I'll certainly be back!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We did quite a bit of research coming up to our recent trip to Oregon and Washington State and had decided that Astoria is a must due to the fact that (a) many films were shot there and (b) it's a lovely place. My favourite was "The Goonies" from 25 years ago and when I heard that the movie was filmed there, I had to go a see the place while not too far away. Also the Movie "Kindergarten Cop" was part-filmed at the Kindergarten literally across the road!

Benjamnin Young Inn is actually in a unique position in that it has a direct view of "The Goonies House", which is wonderful. In fact it's less than a 5 minute walk away to get there and take some photos. The Inn is an amazing old villa with huge stairs and we stayed in an enormous room with lots of space.

Our host, Carolyn, is a lovely lady that was extremely helpful in every way, from when we enquired to advising us of places to eat etc. For excellent hospitality and a relaxing environment, I warmly recommend staying here.

Lastly, we found it to be an added bonus that we could hear the Sea Lions that were actually quite far away. A note in our room suggested that they probably tell each other joked 24 hours a day and then crack up laughing over and over again! After reading the note, we had to agree and just laughed with them!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We had a nice stay. The room was comfortable, Carolyn was a wonderful host and the breakfast was quite good. Bring some earplugs to block out the bark of the Sea Lions. I did, my partner did not.

My only complaint is that the common area upstairs smelled as if the cat litter box needed cleaning. I'm guessing this was just a glitch since no one has previously commented on this.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Yelm
Reviewed 25 May 2010

This was a fantastic honeymoon weekend! Carolyn Hammer was just absolutely gracious. She sat down and talked to us while we ate our breakfast, made sure there was nothing else that we needed and just left us alone! The breakfasts' were amazing!!! She even made accomidations for me since I do not eat eggs, she was so sweet about it and it was great! We will definitaly be going back there to take our 10 year old daughter so that she can experience staying in such a fabulous home! The bed was so comfortable that I woke up in the position that I fell asleep in! Just wish we could have slept in and not have had to get up for breakfast, ha ha, but you have to eat sometime! It was fantastic, wheather you are staying there a night, 2 nights or a week, it was definitaly worth it and the privce was right for what you got! Hightly recommended to other people!!!!
LOVED the sound of the sea lions barking at night and the cats are just as friendly as can be!!! They will make sure you know they are there, but they are not going to pester you either!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
ct
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We were not planning on staying in Astoria but then after a good meal we decided to look for a place. We found Benjamin young on tripadvisor and made a reservation. Caroline, the innkeeper was so wonderful. She was helpful and made us feel as though we were at a home and not a b & b. The house is beautiful and is right down the street from the goonies house!!

After a great sleep we met for breakfast with the other hotel guest and the neighbors. They were the best, we had a great conversation and they were so knowledgeable. We had a blast with them. They really made our trip to astoria one special time. Caroline and the inn were a sure recommendation.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kens183
Yamhill, OR
Reviewed 21 April 2010

We stayed in the Rose Room for $100, with an excellent view of the Columbia River and Astoria's handsome bridge. The most expensive rooms are larger, but don't have better views, though I really liked the Honeymoon Room with it's cupola seating area mostly surrounded by windows. All of the rooms are nicely but not luxuriously decorated. Authenticity for a late 1800's home is the idea. The windows are original antique glass which allows some extra noise. It looked like the inn was getting ready for some new paint in the next year or two, but overall the condition was very good. The Comfort Inn and Suites isn't the greatest addition to the view, but I was glad to be getting a much better value than the guests down in that drab building with the chain fence separating them from the water. (It's a block and half away.) You can hear sea lions 24 hours a day and get some traffic noise during the mornings from the highway one block away. The host was attentive and pleasant. Some nice touches are the original photos and a wonderful ca. 1880 painting of the Benjamin Young family, prominently displayed in the living room. Astoria has some VERY tough competition in the B&B field, and this inn may not be at the very top, but we had a very nice visit. In most towns, this would be far and away the very best.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Everjoyful
Marin
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We stayed at the Benjamin Young one night while traveling from the Bay Area to Seattle. The historic building is well kept up and elegantly appointed. Room, bed, and bath were first-rate and comfortable. The proprietor was amiable and helpful. Breakfast, while not robust, was good. The home is convenient to the waterfront, where it easy to walk on the pier, see the sea lions, boats, river, etc. The Lewis and Clark sites are within easy driving distance.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple