“A foofy get-away”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Astoria
Grandview Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 8 Astoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 May 2009

There are a lot of negative reviews of this place, but I just spent a lovely weekend there with my 'husband'. While the complaints regarding briskness (and pushiness, at points)of the owners are true, there isn't much truly to complain about beyond that. We weren't looking to spend any time in a common area, weren't looking to chat up the owner--we just wanted some peace and quiet.

I enjoyed having a comfortable, light and airy bedroom in which to ecape. We happily napped all Saturday without complaint. I felt like a princess in the canopied bed piled high with a mountain of ruffled pillows, enjoyed sneaking peeks at the other available rooms. Each was quaint and ruffled/flowered to the hilt. The breakfast nook was like the tea party room of my inner-child's dream. The views from the rooms were spectacular, the mattresses and sheets felt luxurious, and the location was superb.

If you're looking for an intimate chat with the homeowner, an expansive breakfast, and comraderie with other guests, find another B&B. If you are looking for privacy, comfort, and seclusion with your family or significant other (they're not checking marriage licenses here, people; be imaginative)--there are open rooms available.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pirmoltov

Reviewed 1 August 2008

This is a fine B&B for the price. The house is a real jewel in views and architecure, but Its true that this older home can use a bit of maintenance in some areas. The overgrown garden ads to the charm. The proprietors were a bit officious at times but we were treated hospitably even with a late arrival (we did call) The breakfast rates very high and was served in true Victorian style. The house can use thicker window coverings or add draw shades to thin curtains ensure privacy. We would stay here again and it was kid friendly. A common area for guests and less office clutter at the entry would greatly enhance it. The leopard lair was roomy and comfortable, very quiet.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 May 2008

We arrived in Astoria late with no reservation on a Memorial Day Weekend Saturday. We saw the ad in one of our travel magazines and called on a whim. Luckily she had a room for us with a reasonable price (we were surprised considering the circumstances) and gave us precise directions to get right to the property. We were met at the door by Mrs. Maxwell who checked us in after we looked at the room. We had a delightful time there, loved the room and the house. Mrs. Maxwell waited for us to come back from dinner and sat in the parlor with us, chatting and telling us the history of her lovely home and several of the homes around us. She also gave us several ideas of places to see the next day. She has a wonderful quirky sense of humor and is fun to talk to.

Next morning we had breakfast which was good and PLENTIFUL and Carole is cool! She is a take charge kinda gal and we liked her direct and efficient ways. We didn't have to chase her for anything. She was right there with refills of juice and coffee. The setting that we were served in was awsome and the views were magnificent.

What an excellent experience that we lucked into!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dodobuck
Reviewed 11 August 2007

We stayed at Grandview just last week, not having read these reviewers comments, and I feel they are exceptionally hard on this B&B proprietor!

From my prospective, Mrs. Maxwell and her staff were friendly enough. Some complained that there isn't anywhere to go but your bedroom, but she doesn't have anyplace to create a common room. We guests have already taken over all the bedrooms, which is most of the house- it's appropriate that she should have some privacy.

In our room, we had seating, a private bathroom, books to read, a fan to cool ourselves, and a hot pot. There is a sideboard in the hallway with all the best cocoas, teas (and probably coffee-which I don't drink), cups and silverware to serve ourselves in our room. The house is over 100 years old, and showing the usual signs of age, but it is well kept, and nicely decorated.

The formal breakfast was small by american standards, but it was perfect for us. I have a small appetite, so my husband finished what I couldn't and nothing went to waste, which pleased me. Neither I or my husband went away hungry. The presentation was lovely, the food was fresh, and the muffins were homemade. My husband felt the experence was average until breakfast, which really impressed him, so he left a generous tip to express his pleasure (you know how men LOVE good food!)

Compare the price to any other B&B in Astoria, and you will find that you are getting a great bargain. Pay more to get a common room, a huge breakfast, and a newer house if you like! My husband and I would return again, but this time we will stay in Tree Tops or the Gazebo room. I think they are the loveliest.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank lsdfnailwhe
Reviewed 2 July 2007

I found this B&B and booked sight-unseen because there was nothing else available - then I read the reviews and was scared, but kept my reservation because there was no where else to stay. My experience was totally different than those listed below. The rooms and building itself were very clean. It is an older home so of course it shows the bumps and bruises of age, but I saw nothing that I would consider dilapidated. The website states very clearly what the breakfast is, so people that were expecting a huge lay out didn't do their homework. The fruit, bagels w/ lox and muffins were excellent and I never left hungry. My husband doesn't like fish and so the main hostess (I never got her name) made him eggs and french toast sticks so he wouldn't go hungry. She is the one who you hear about in the below reviews, she has a very brisk and strong personality, that may be off-putting to some, but she is by no means malevolent. Here assistant Ana was lovely and so friendly, she is also the one that prepares the rooms and she did an excellent job. Charlene is the woman who runs the show, and while we only ran into her once she was very welcoming and sweet. On our first night we arrived late, so she had letter with the lock code for the door and our room key ready for us, and we could come and go as we pleased using the easy to remember lock code for the front door. Everything about our stay was very easy and hassle-free.

The other reviews do not do this place justice. I would go back, and people that we dined with in the morning were all return guests, so others clearly feel the same way.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank andreal97220
Reviewed 10 April 2007

Our experience and impressions were very similar to the previous posts. When we arrived, fifteen minutes prior to check-in, the hostess acted put out and upset that the door had not been locked to prevent us from entering. I'm not a frequent traveller, but this is the first B&B I've stayed in that has an electronic key pad on the front door, which can be heard throughout the house whenever guests come and go. Yes, you are expected to type in a code to lock the door when you leave.

The house is a bit run down on the outside and in very bad need of landscaping. Inside, the place is okay, but there is no common room, and a cart is placed in the doorway to the kitchen to discourage guests from going anywhere but their rooms.

But, if it wasn't for our breakfast experience, I wouldn't have bothered to submit a review. Similar to a previous review, we were asked to forgo the earlier breakfast due to a lack in Staffing. But, in the morning, we found two ladies busy in the kitchen, so I can't imagine what the issue was. We sat down and were provided with a fruit bowl. Then came bagels (one per person) with some cream cheese and lox. At some point, we were told "save room for muffins" which seemed strange. I was saving room for french toast, pancakes, eggs, waffles - something hot. Besides, I could see some other guests eating eggs and sausages. As it turns out, you only get hot food if you stay two nights. And those muffins, they were miniature. I was dumbfounded.

Bottome line: This place will keep the rain off your head. Don't expect much more.

• Stayed: April 2007
6  Thank SamuelJK
Reviewed 4 October 2006

We had many of the same issues as all the other reviewers.

Property looked lovely on the website. Lots of attention paid to decoration but the property was a bit shabby. Some time and money needs to be spent on maintenance and upkeep. I know older houses need more work, but I've seen nicer homes in Europe that are hundreds of years older. There were NO outside lights. It was after dark when we arrived and I couldn't even see the car remote in my hand!

We were running late and I called about 7:45 PM to let the proprietor know it would be about another hour and a half. She said that was OK and she would leave the key in the mailbox if we didn't arrive before she left. She also said she usually let the guests choose a breakfast time (8:30 or 9:30) but she would just assign one to us. I told her we really needed the early one as we needed to get back on the road. She also said she would go ahead and run the credit card and we told her that was fine.

She was still there when we arrived about 9:15 and as she handed us the receipt, she mentioned that she "forgot" to charge us the extra person charge of $10. (For extra information: I called her directly to make the reservation and asked about the room with a double and singe bed as we had 3 people. She tried to talk me into one of the "suites" of 2 rooms, one with a double bed and one with a single. I told her we were fine in one room. She THEN quoted me the rate, knowing good and well we had 3 people.) She tried to play on our sympathies about how that $10 should would come in handy so my Mom handed her $10 in cash. She then made the statement that she guessed she wouldn't charge us tax on it. Then she told us she had us down for breakfast at 9:30 since her staff had worked all day and she didn't want to make them come back so early. We informed her we would just skip breakfast, then, as we needed to be on the road long before that. She said OK and "decided" to give us back our $10 but tried to make us feel guilty by saying it was too late to call her girls and tell them not to come in so she would just have to leave them a note. And besides, she had already bought all that food. Nothing we could do as we couldn't hang around that late just to eat so we said good night and went to our room.

The next morning as we were ready to leave about 8 am, Mom went looking for someone to leave the key with and we heard someone moving around in the back. Turns out, there was a woman (different from the night before) in the kitchen making breakfast! (So - they did have a early breakfast and weren't showing us for work "just for us.") Mom told her we were leaving and handed her the key. The woman asked who we were and when she was told, made some snide comment about us not being there for breakfast after all her hard work and everything. Mom apologized again and we left.

So - the same result as everyone else:
Nice property but not exactly as advertised. And less than hospitable hosts. Lovely area but find another place to stay. Would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family