“Unfair reviews below”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Astoria
Grandview Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 8 Astoria B&B and Inns
portland
“Unfair reviews below”
Reviewed 2 July 2007

I found this B&B and booked sight-unseen because there was nothing else available - then I read the reviews and was scared, but kept my reservation because there was no where else to stay. My experience was totally different than those listed below. The rooms and building itself were very clean. It is an older home so of course it shows the bumps and bruises of age, but I saw nothing that I would consider dilapidated. The website states very clearly what the breakfast is, so people that were expecting a huge lay out didn't do their homework. The fruit, bagels w/ lox and muffins were excellent and I never left hungry. My husband doesn't like fish and so the main hostess (I never got her name) made him eggs and french toast sticks so he wouldn't go hungry. She is the one who you hear about in the below reviews, she has a very brisk and strong personality, that may be off-putting to some, but she is by no means malevolent. Here assistant Ana was lovely and so friendly, she is also the one that prepares the rooms and she did an excellent job. Charlene is the woman who runs the show, and while we only ran into her once she was very welcoming and sweet. On our first night we arrived late, so she had letter with the lock code for the door and our room key ready for us, and we could come and go as we pleased using the easy to remember lock code for the front door. Everything about our stay was very easy and hassle-free.

The other reviews do not do this place justice. I would go back, and people that we dined with in the morning were all return guests, so others clearly feel the same way.

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank andreal97220

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 10 April 2007

Our experience and impressions were very similar to the previous posts. When we arrived, fifteen minutes prior to check-in, the hostess acted put out and upset that the door had not been locked to prevent us from entering. I'm not a frequent traveller, but this is the first B&B I've stayed in that has an electronic key pad on the front door, which can be heard throughout the house whenever guests come and go. Yes, you are expected to type in a code to lock the door when you leave.

The house is a bit run down on the outside and in very bad need of landscaping. Inside, the place is okay, but there is no common room, and a cart is placed in the doorway to the kitchen to discourage guests from going anywhere but their rooms.

But, if it wasn't for our breakfast experience, I wouldn't have bothered to submit a review. Similar to a previous review, we were asked to forgo the earlier breakfast due to a lack in Staffing. But, in the morning, we found two ladies busy in the kitchen, so I can't imagine what the issue was. We sat down and were provided with a fruit bowl. Then came bagels (one per person) with some cream cheese and lox. At some point, we were told "save room for muffins" which seemed strange. I was saving room for french toast, pancakes, eggs, waffles - something hot. Besides, I could see some other guests eating eggs and sausages. As it turns out, you only get hot food if you stay two nights. And those muffins, they were miniature. I was dumbfounded.

Bottome line: This place will keep the rain off your head. Don't expect much more.

• Stayed April 2007
6 Thank SamuelJK

Travellers are raving about these Astoria hotels

Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 4 October 2006

We had many of the same issues as all the other reviewers.

Property looked lovely on the website. Lots of attention paid to decoration but the property was a bit shabby. Some time and money needs to be spent on maintenance and upkeep. I know older houses need more work, but I've seen nicer homes in Europe that are hundreds of years older. There were NO outside lights. It was after dark when we arrived and I couldn't even see the car remote in my hand!

We were running late and I called about 7:45 PM to let the proprietor know it would be about another hour and a half. She said that was OK and she would leave the key in the mailbox if we didn't arrive before she left. She also said she usually let the guests choose a breakfast time (8:30 or 9:30) but she would just assign one to us. I told her we really needed the early one as we needed to get back on the road. She also said she would go ahead and run the credit card and we told her that was fine.

She was still there when we arrived about 9:15 and as she handed us the receipt, she mentioned that she "forgot" to charge us the extra person charge of $10. (For extra information: I called her directly to make the reservation and asked about the room with a double and singe bed as we had 3 people. She tried to talk me into one of the "suites" of 2 rooms, one with a double bed and one with a single. I told her we were fine in one room. She THEN quoted me the rate, knowing good and well we had 3 people.) She tried to play on our sympathies about how that $10 should would come in handy so my Mom handed her $10 in cash. She then made the statement that she guessed she wouldn't charge us tax on it. Then she told us she had us down for breakfast at 9:30 since her staff had worked all day and she didn't want to make them come back so early. We informed her we would just skip breakfast, then, as we needed to be on the road long before that. She said OK and "decided" to give us back our $10 but tried to make us feel guilty by saying it was too late to call her girls and tell them not to come in so she would just have to leave them a note. And besides, she had already bought all that food. Nothing we could do as we couldn't hang around that late just to eat so we said good night and went to our room.

The next morning as we were ready to leave about 8 am, Mom went looking for someone to leave the key with and we heard someone moving around in the back. Turns out, there was a woman (different from the night before) in the kitchen making breakfast! (So - they did have a early breakfast and weren't showing us for work "just for us.") Mom told her we were leaving and handed her the key. The woman asked who we were and when she was told, made some snide comment about us not being there for breakfast after all her hard work and everything. Mom apologized again and we left.

So - the same result as everyone else:
Nice property but not exactly as advertised. And less than hospitable hosts. Lovely area but find another place to stay. Would not recommend this to anyone.

• Liked — Lovely old house, nice location.
  • Disliked — Staff was rude and manipulative.
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose another place.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank Zyggy
midvalley OR
Reviewed 11 September 2006

We chose the Grandview B&B based on website photos and value. The location is good and the view of the Columbia river from our room was good. Our room (The Gazebo) was charming and comfortable, but the fake fireplace needs to be discarded. Upon our arrival, the proprietor welcomed us and checked us in. There is nowhere to go but your room- no common sitting area. I asked when coffee would be ready in the morning, as we like to have a cup before breakfast. She replied the coffee would be ready prior to the first breakfast seating, and that it was a common question.
When I went downstairs to get coffee early the next morning, the breakfast hostess asked me what I wanted. I told her I would like two mugs of coffee. Her assistant began to pour the coffee and the hostess told her "that's enough". I felt very unwelcome. When we arrived at our chosen time for breakfast, the hostess' first words to use were a barking "how many" and seated us in a cold and unfriendly manner. We just looked at each other in disbelief. The next morning we went out for breakfast. We won't stay there again!

Stayed August 2006
7 Thank kittywhiz
Covington, WA
Reviewed 30 August 2006

My husband and I stayed here at the start of a drive along the Columbia River for our 30th anniversary. The pictures on the website looked fine, but the house is in dire need of care, especially the outside where the paint is peeling.

We stayed in the Gazebo room, quoted to be their most popular. The bed was fine, even nicely attired, but the room had some little country-style decorations on the walls that detracted from the Victorian style of the room. The "balcony" consists of a fire escape. The tower room is cute, but it was very warm and only one window would open. The bathroom is a converted closet, not unusual in these establishments so that was okay.

The real disappointment in this place was the breakfast. Our stays in B&B's have brought us to look forward to this meal. Here we each received a small bowl of fruit. Then a plate with a small amount of cream cheese and a couple of slices of admittedly good local smoked salmon was placed between each couple. A basket of assorted toasted supermarket bagels was passed around and the "cook" then left. We had to call her back to get enough cream cheese to cover the bagels. She also reluctantly supplied another slice of salmon when asked. That was it. We waited for the real breakfast, but realized that was it so we went to pack. We'd never go back.

The worst part of our stay was that the other two couples at breakfast were having their first experience at a B&B. I doubt they'll want to do it again.

One other thing. We asked the proprietor about places to eat on our arrival and she supplied us with a map and named a couple of restaurants. We went to one she highly recommended, but it was not very good. In talking to some people we met later who live in Astoria, they told us that restaurant has not been good for some time. Apparently, the proprietor is out of touch with her city.

• Liked — Style of the house
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barb716
victoria, bc
Reviewed 17 August 2006

The Grandview is a traditional, Victorian Bed and Breakfast on the steep slopes of Astoria.

The rooms are fine, the beakfasts lovely, but the host and some of her staff are very abrupt which may put some folks off. Be aware of this when you stay here. Otherwise, everything is just fine.

3 Thank sheret
Cultus Lake British Columbia
Reviewed 3 July 2006

We recently stayed here on our way back to Canada from Florence, Oregon. We had stayed in another B and B (Franklin Street Station) in Astoria last fall and loved the experience, as we were on a special 40th birthday holiday for me and wanted to be extra specially pampered. We were not disappointed as we loved the place and Astoria too and wanted to return there. This time we were travelling in the summer months when things get booked up pretty quickly.

We managed to get a room at the Grandview Bed and Breakfast and we booked it as it looked nice on the website. We were running a little behind on our trip up from Florence on the day we were to arrive, so we called the proprietor and told her we may be later than her normal check in time. She assured us that was fine, and if she wasn't available to greet us on our arrival, she would leave a key to our room in the mailbox along with instructions. When we did arrive later that evening, we found the key as instructed and proceeded up to our room.

When we got there, we found that the windows were closed, the room was on the top floor of a four story Victorian, and there was not a fan to be found. Of course there is no air conditioning in any of these old houses, nor do we expect it. What we did expect though, was a cool room to arrive to and perhaps a fan blowing inside due to the location of the room itself and the heat of the day. We got very little sleep because it was sooo hot in this room and it being a bed and breakfast, you would think that they would at least anticipate this problem on your arrival. There was nobody available to ask so we had an uncomfortable night to say the least.

The next morning, we met another couple at breakfast and enjoyed their company. We found the breakfast however very sparse compared to our last experience, and I actually had to go and find the woman serving us to ask if I could have some more coffee. Upon check out, we wanted to speak to the owner of the house, not only to get a receipt, but to talk to her about the hot night we had spent in the room. We were told she was not available because she was not "ready" (her hair and makeup done) and we were told to come back in an hour! This is already 1030 am and we want to leave. We asked to see her now as we were on our way out of town. After making us wait for 15min while she was "finishing her call" she finally came out to speak to us and we asked about the room. She did not apologize for the situation, made us feel completely unwelcome, and was extremely rude. She said that she couldn't control the weather, and that if we weren't happy it was our fault because we should have stayed on the coast!!!

You would expect hospitality to be a priority of a bed and breakfast establishment, and to be treated as a guest. Not here. I am saddened that this experience has put a black mark on Astoria for me as I love it so much. Everything else we have experienced there has been a joy as well as the people we have met. That's why I felt a need to write this review. I guess that is why there was an available room here. Take heed...

7 Thank msromantic