“The quality varies greatly”

Golden Luck Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #56 of 98 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Osby, Sweden
“The quality varies greatly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I've traveled all the way from Sweden several times to Astoria, and one of the things that I enjoy the most - is to dine out and meet Astorians and Americans. Sometimes I get Lucky with the restaurants I chose, and sometimes I don't.

This one varies a bit. In 2012...the food wasn't that bad, in 2013 - the food disappointed twice in a row (yeah, I always give restaurants a second chance, everyone can make a mistake).

The rice felt sticky (like it has been overcooked or dried out), the food was somewhat bland but edible if you're REALLY hungry, but I didn't leave pleased. The staff behaves like they just want me to eat and get out, so it doesn't quite feel right. The place smells oddly too, but I found out exactly WHY... there's a "secret" gambling section with slot-machines, it really smells in there, very dark and funky. Tried them a little, wasn't very lucky at all, but that's okay - a good advice to anyone who want's to gamble anywhere is to never play for more than you're willing (or can afford) to lose.

Would I visit it again? Well, since I had a positive experience in 2012...but not 2013, I'd give it another chance I guess. I do like Asian food.

• Visited August 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Sketchy exterior warm interior ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Approached the exterior thinking it was more if a flop bar but opened the doors and found a little haven/ typical chinese food but very good and their Hawaiian beef was excellent

Vancouver, Washington
“Typical”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

If you're craving Chinese food this isn't a bad place to try. The food wasn't "Oh my gosh this is amazing!" but it wasn't horrible either. I had pot stickers and fried rice with chicken, beef, and shrimp. It was pretty good; about what you'd expect from any Chinese restaurant. I'll stop in again the next time I'm in town.

• Visited February 2014
Astoria, Oregon
“Excellent Chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I'm a local and go here at least once a month (more if I can). Their prices are well within budget and the food is good. I love the egg flower soup, service is always prompt and I've yet to have an order taken wrong as I have been going there for almost 2 years now. I love the fried shrimp and the shrimp spring rolls (not too crazy about egg rolls but I don't care from them much at all). Their vegetable chow mien is great as well. Have tried several of the other Chinese restaurants in the area but none measure up to Golden Luck. I would recommend this place to any one looking for good Chinese food (and I have :D)

• Visited January 2014
Portland, Oregon
“yum, Chinese Food !!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

First night in Astoria - and didn't know where to go !!! It was very good food, especially the Hot Sour Soup

Visited December 2013